One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

• 2 weeks later...

If they succeed ( I hope) following the Capitol tower model ( garage then tower) will this be connected to the downtown tunnels? I imagine a selling point will be the park, restaurants, nearby apartments and lofts, and nearby Theater district. The ballpark and convention center are easy walking distance also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

If they succeed ( I hope) following the Capitol tower model ( garage then tower) will this be connected to the downtown tunnels? I imagine a selling point will be the park, restaurants, nearby apartments and lofts, and nearby Theater district. The ballpark and convention center are easy walking distance also.

It will be connected. The tunnel connection was recently litigated between this developer and Hines (owner of the Chronicle site). The two sides reached a settlement ensuring tunnel access.

• Like 1

If they really think they're going to build the building, why not dig up the whole block and have more garage underground? I know underground parking is more expensive, but one would think if underground parking is economical for half of the block, it would be for the whole block as well.

If there's one spot in Houston that I'd love to see a ton of underground parking, it's this block.

• Like 4

Well corporate relocations seem to be the thing these days with Shell moving out, BOA moving to Capitol Tower and United moving to 609 Main. Who else I wonder would consider moving into a brand new skyscraper with their namesake on the front? Gotta be somebody out there looking at these renderings with a raised eyebrow. It would be one of the more sexy buildings in Houston for sure.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

SYSCO

I like the idea. Unfortunately, they pretty recently (9 years ago) moved into a new headquarters facility custom built for them (and part of a master plan that was said at the time to have been planned to handle their growth for 30 years).  So that one does not seem at all likely.

Waste Management seems to be scattered about in a number of different buildings (mostly downtown).  They might be ripe for a consolidating move.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Subdude said:

I believe the opening on the left is where the tunnel connection would come in (crossing the Hines block to the south).

Presumably so. You can see exposed utility lines that they have uncovered in that hole in the foundation wall. I presume that they will have to dig under those when it comes time to connect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cloud713 said:

There's a much closer view of the excavation from the covered sidewalk area across from Franks/El where you can see behind the green fabric on a section of fence. I didn't think to take a picture though..

Ten hell marys, and report to detention.

• Like 5