One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

24 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Not to be argumentative, but why do you all care whether an eating place opens up here first  or in Dallas,  Austin, etc?   Doesn't food quality and customer service outrank those others. Please enlighten me on this issue.

If you believe that a restaurant and food should reflect the local aesthetic and have a sense of place, then it should originate from where it is located. If restaurants can just cut and paste the format, design and food and place their business anywhere, it's just generic and sort of bland.

1 hour ago, downtownian said:

Agree. There’s a number of austin and Dallas concepts that invade Houston. I’m not aware of many that do the reverse. 

There's older chains like the Pappa's and Landry's brands, but that stuff doesn't count for much these days. The Mandola's eateries in Austin are basically a Houston export, but no one realizes it. There is still an Antone's location in Dallas that has been there for over 50 years. They seem to exist only for longtime patrons and get by with zero advertising, which I think has always been the Antone's business model.

Otherwise I think you're essentially right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

I tend to not support businesses that open in Dallas before Houston. Am I the only one? Am I wrong? 

Well, I for one, completely agree with you.  I get so sick of the whole "dallas" thing in this country anyway.  As if !  And, yes, Houston is way way bigger with a much more diverse and agreeable population and cosmopolitan feel.  But, I digest...

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong,  I'm not bashing Dallas but I've grown tired of being excited about a new restaurant or retail establishment opening in Houston then to see it has already had locations in Dallas for years before they decided to expand here. This new burger place for example has a California office and a Dallas office. If we are the food capital of the southwest, why aren't most of these places Houston based. I know N and Out burger will eventually expand here but I feel they should have opened Houston locations first. Of I'm wrong I'm opened to correction.

• Like 1

In-N-Out's model is predicated on shipping fresh beef from their own distribution centers.  Generally, they do not ship more than 500 miles from such centers.  A 500 mile circle around Dallas captures Houston, San Antonio, Austin, New Orleans (pushing the edge of it by road), Kansas City (again pushing it), Oklahoma City, and Memphis, Tennessee.  St. Louis and Nashville are only a short distance outside the 500 mile circle and could probably be reached with effective shipping runs.  A 500 mile circle around Houston leaves out Kansas City, Nashville, St. Louis and related markets.  Geographically, for businesses that rely on distribution in the U.S., Dallas will typically win out over Houston.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

In-N-Out's model is predicated on shipping fresh beef from their own distribution centers.  Generally, they do not ship more than 500 miles from such centers.  A 500 mile circle around Dallas captures Houston, San Antonio, Austin, New Orleans (pushing the edge of it by road), Kansas City (again pushing it), Oklahoma City, and Memphis, Tennessee.  St. Louis and Nashville are only a short distance outside the 500 mile circle and could probably be reached with effective shipping runs.  A 500 mile circle around Houston leaves out Kansas City, Nashville, St. Louis and related markets.  Geographically, for businesses that rely on distribution in the U.S., Dallas will typically win out over Houston.

I feel that distribution center shouldve been built here. 

1 hour ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Don't get me wrong,  I'm not bashing Dallas but I've grown tired of being excited about a new restaurant or retail establishment opening in Houston then to see it has already had locations in Dallas for years before they decided to expand here. This new burger place for example has a California office and a Dallas office. If we are the food capital of the southwest, why aren't most of these places Houston based. I know N and Out burger will eventually expand here but I feel they should have opened Houston locations first. Of I'm wrong I'm opened to correction.

DFW will typically get out-of-state chains first. They are a slightly bigger market but, more importantly, they are perceived as being "more mainstream," which may or may not mean "more white." Being geographically more central helps reinforce this "mainstream" image and makes it seem less risky to expand there. Also, retailers tend to like the safety and stability of zoning laws, even while developers do not like them.

All of these same factors make Houston more offbeat, diverse, international, local. We are more of a modern New Orleans, they are more of a modern St. Louis.

21 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Notwithsanding that they started in San Antonio, we have HEB where Dallas does not yet, apart from its southern outskirts, so you win some, you lose some. 

I think this is because every store HEB opens there is a Central Market. Whereas they think the Houston metro can only handle one Central Market location. I do like the non-CM HEB stores though.

22 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Great article! Interesting to see one of the Pappas family interviewed. I was just at a big get-together with in-laws in Dallas last week and when everyone wanted fajitas, I influenced them to choose Pappasito's, which was very well received. And I was thinking... the nearest location was on 75 in Richardson, which was a good spot maybe 20 years ago, and there were no locations in all of North Dallas beyond that. Seems like they have slowed down on expansion quite a bit.

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

I think this is because every store HEB opens there is a Central Market. Whereas they think the Houston metro can only handle one Central Market location. I do like the non-CM HEB stores though.

Forgot about those, must be a strategy thing with them. I'm pretty sure West U/River Oaks/Upper Kirby alone could support a clone of the Central Market it already has, parking seems to be the limiting factor there. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 4:46 PM, Nate99 said:

Forgot about those, must be a strategy thing with them. I'm pretty sure West U/River Oaks/Upper Kirby alone could support a clone of the Central Market it already has, parking seems to be the limiting factor there. 

Yes, in Houston HEB has developed a lot of "HEB Market" stores, which are a cross between a regular HEB and Central Market.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Seems a bit too imposing for that square. I think something between the height of Aris and height of Texas Tower will work here. This building wants to be on that vacant lot that we all want a super tall to go in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Seems a bit too imposing for that square. I think something between the height of Aris and height of Texas Tower will work here. This building wants to be on that vacant lot that we all want a super tall to go in.

Ask the building. Maybe it wants to be in Midtown. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EllenOlenska said:

lol thicc indeed. I love it. It's like something out of Brazil. It's like the Chinese consulate on stilts. 

Thats the thing. I like the design. Definitely more of an approach you would see in South America or in Asia which would be really cool to see. If we are going to get foreign investment in new towers I would like there to be some influence of where they come from seep into there designs. Would create a interesting range of styles and approaches.

1 minute ago, EllenOlenska said:

Ask the building. Maybe it wants to be in Midtown. 

We do this all the time as designers. Its like we are part psychologists where we ask the building to lay on a sofa and tell us what the want and need. We are a weird breed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Includes the Preston?  Don't see that.  I don't even see BG Group tower.  The Post Office was still a post office. 

The video was showcasing the subject's range of expertise and has nothing to do with the actual content. 

The Preston construction.

So looking even closer, that may just be the old run down parking garage. It appears the Houston Chron building is still standing so this may indeed be old.

• Like 1

I think it's an old design or another building model swapped into the rendering to showcase Render Spot's capabilities. It looks like several newer buildings are missing from this skyline (Aris, 609 Main, 811 Main, Bank of America Tower) and the old Chronicle building and garage are still there. Also, this building appears to use the entire site, which now contains Phase I (the parking garage). I'm betting Linbeck isn't in a hurry to tear down their newly completed garage, so however the new building is designed it will probably fit in the footprint of the existing surface parking lot next to the garage.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 3

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Proposed" (should this go under "On-The-Market & Rumors" since we don't know if this still truely an active proposal?). For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.