One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

Looks squatty. Did they chop some floors?

I was just about to say the exact same thing! Compared to the building to the right which is in the 30-something story range, it doesn't look much taller than that. Sort of disappointing for such a sexy building.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Looks squatty. Did they chop some floors?

Oh wow, I assumed it was just perspective,  but the floors don’t look like they go much higher than Calpine Center’s 33 floors (451’). I wonder if they’re trying to be more “courteous”, with respect to imposing on Market Square, or just a more realistic view of the downtown office rental market?

I have no inside information, but feel good about this building not changing its facade.  They are really targeting Chinese capital, and the fact that ICBC just moved into a full-floor at Williams Tower tells me Houston is continuing to be a big gateway market for Asian investment.  I wouldn't be surprised if the equity partner came from China and then ICBC provided the construction loan.

Failed to reference, but HBJ article states: 'The Houston office is expected to offer corporate lending, real estate lending, cash management and credit card financial services'

Edited by CREguy13
  • Like 8

On 10/13/2017 at 8:09 AM, EllenOlenska said:

One thing is that Calpine Center is pretty big. For some reason, it's just forgettable. 

Because beige.  It's pretty stone up close, but very... subtle at a distance.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 8:09 AM, EllenOlenska said:

One thing is that Calpine Center is pretty big. For some reason, it's just forgettable. 

13 hours ago, mollusk said:

Because beige.  It's pretty stone up close, but very... subtle at a distance.

More because it really isn't very big relative to the Houston skyline (it's about the 31st tallest building downtown, for now).  34 story buildings are just not likely to stand out in a skyline as big as Houston's.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

More because it really isn't very big relative to the Houston skyline (it's about the 31st tallest building downtown, for now).  34 story buildings are just not likely to stand out in a skyline as big as Houston's.  

Of course that depends on the view. Someone looking in at the skyline from the west (which, honestly, is quite a tired, unattractive shot to me) would not see much change. On the other-hand, looking in from the north across the bayou, one sees quite a change to the skyline, both from that building, and the 609 Main.

• Like 3

You also get a very good sense of the growth coming in on 59 north or north on 288 and heading west on I-10 east.

Although the view from the west is an impressive grouping of tall buildings it comes off looking flat with no depth or breadth of the whole downtown. Plus you

get those very tall buildings on the west as a backdrop on the three route just mentioned.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2017 at 10:09 PM, Reporter said:

Yes, Houston needs more flat roofs. Slants are so slanty.

Totally misrepresented my statement. I'm not for flat roofs, I'm against copy cat designs. This one, Amegy and Hine's all even slant the same direction.

• Like 3