One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

Interesting.. I didn't notice the sail silhouette. I wonder if they're still pushing for that office tower then? If so, that half of the block will likely be vacant for a few years at least.. I hoped they would try to land a high end hotel with condos on top.

True on the developer wanting to keep their aesthetic options open. I mentioned the "blank slate" theory earlier in the week. Hopefully that's the case, but I agree that it would be nice to do something temporary to spruce it up in the meantime.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mollusk said:

IDK, jack - the One Market Square logo has a sail component that sure looks a lot like the renderings from a couple years ago...

Great observation, I don't think the logo's sail design element is a coincidence and might mean this design is still what is intended for Phase 2 of the site.

This makes me think Essex is pulling a page from Skanska's playbook on Capitol Tower: Build the garage on hold on the tower until a lead tenant is signed. It appears to have worked for Skanska, can the same happen for Essex and how long will it take?

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, swtsig said:

would this be deep enough to support a highrise at a later date? i guess it would have to do with how deep the pour the footings/piers for the foundation.

My understanding is that they're still planning to build their tower on the northern half of the block at some point, not above the garage. If somebody else someday decided to build over the garage, I'm not sure if that could be done, although I imagine they don't make the footings etc. much stronger than they need to for a garage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wxman said:

So this tower is still a thing then? If so, given the giant excavated hole in the ground, is this under construction now or still on hold?

This is for the one retail space in the garage. The building rendering is there to attract retail interest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wxman said:

So this tower is still a thing then? If so, given the giant excavated hole in the ground, is this under construction now or still on hold?

Similar to Capitol Tower, the garage is being built first; tower portion later once a tenant signs on.

• Like 4

This is good news if it comes to fruition. I imagine the rents on the north side, where there is no high rise competition, will be higher than the south side where Hines may put up a high rise (unless she is a stunning beauty) . If this building and a potential Hines high rise occur these will be skyline enhancers. Good news indeed.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 9:49 PM, Sunstar said:

I can't tell if that curvilinear sheath (for lack of a better word) makes up the outer wall of the building or is a separate ornamental structure. 

Well this one is at least unique and will compliment 609. From the north side anyways.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, hindesky said:

DUbTmXd.jpg

wow, this is so exciting.  they are definitely prepping for some sort of tower given the excavation work going on below grade.  the question is when ?  and how many stories tall ?  crossing my fingers and toes !

• Like 1