One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

46 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

This is terrible. It's bad enough that downtown is littered with open-air garages but allowing for one to go up on Market Square Park shows just how far we have to go as a city.

Yeah, I know that there are plans to develop around it. 

Yep. Hopefully they're just leaving a blank slate so that when the tower is built, they can cover it in a matching facade.

• Like 1

Agree, same as what Skanska did with Capitol Tower, they're doing here.  They will surely post up images of the tower to be built for phase two, to help advertise the site for future development.  Again, as they did for Capitol Tower, and for Six Houston Center for that matter.

webcontent?scale=1

https://tsdrsec.uspto.gov/ts/cd/casedoc/sn86546914/ROA20150624172745/2/webcontent?scale=1

I counted 11 stories, so that means it will be 41 stories?  Sure hope it's taller, as in, 50 floors tall like it was originally.

• Like 2

Not excited about a new parking garage going up, but atleast this will have GFR. Also excited to see that there is still hope for One Market Square, I have high hopes one day that this tower will be built. Houston we can't let DFW have all the fun, now can we. ;)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JoninATX said:

Not excited about a new parking garage going up, but atleast this will have GFR. Also excited to see that there is still hope for One Market Square, I have high hopes one day that this tower will be built. Houston we can't let DFW have all the fun, now can we. ;)

I wouldn't say DFW has had all the fun. We've had *multiple* actual office skyscrapers built here including Main Place and 609 Main. We've got just as many 20 and 30 story buildings under construction or about to begin construction, if not more, than Dallas including Tillman's building, the med center hospital towers, Kirby Collection, Blvd Place, Allen/Gillettte condo tower, Marlow, Marriott Marquis and 3300 main just to name a few off the top of my head. I don't even know the last time Dallas erected a Class A office skyscraper with meaningful height in their downtown core. We've erected two 40+ story building in the last few years with at least one other one, Capitol Tower, coming out of the ground next month. 

This tower tho is definitely sexy as hell and absolutely needs to happen. I just hope the likes of 6 Houston Center doesn't take the wind out of this sail.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 3

Looks like best case scenario is that in 5-10 years we get a Market Square Tower type of building next to our generation's Kim Son Garage. It's lame. Don't blame the developers because this will be a cash cow but why would our city allow this? Isn't Market Square a historic district? What's the point if it is?

Eh, I take it back. Blame the developers too. This was one of the most prime locations downtown and they opted for this. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2017 at 6:32 PM, wxman said:

I wouldn't say DFW has had all the fun. We've had *multiple* actual office skyscrapers built here including Main Place and 609 Main. We've got just as many 20 and 30 story buildings under construction or about to begin construction, if not more, than Dallas including Tillman's building, the med center hospital towers, Kirby Collection, Blvd Place, Allen/Gillettte condo tower, Marlow, Marriott Marquis and 3300 main just to name a few off the top of my head. I don't even know the last time Dallas erected a Class A office skyscraper with meaningful height in their downtown core. We've erected two 40+ story building in the last few years with at least one other one, Capitol Tower, coming out of the ground next month. 

This tower tho is definitely sexy as hell and absolutely needs to happen. I just hope the likes of 6 Houston Center doesn't take the wind out of this sail.

Wait Capitol Tower is being built after all? I'm late to the party apparently 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2017 at 5:07 PM, houstontexasjack said:

A tower similar in appearance to Aris Market Square on the north side of the block would be quite nice.  Market Square would be a nice pocket of residential in Downtown.  Maybe Treebeard's could finally open up on weekends.

I would love to see a tower that's respectful to the historical district too  (International Tower looked awesome, but it would of been out of place on Market Square Park IMO), but since this block is outside the district, and from the garage proposal, I don't have high hopes.

I wish the garage was brick with vines growing up trellises for screening over the open sections.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cloud713 said:

I would love to see a tower that's respectful to the historical district too  (International Tower looked awesome, but it would of been out of place on Market Square Park IMO), but since this block is outside the district, and from the garage proposal, I don't have high hopes.

I wish the garage was brick with vines growing up trellises for screening over the open sections.

I suspect the developer wants to keep their aesthetic options open for what ends up getting built on the other side of the lot. In the interim, I also think a translucent covering with a mural facing the park would be neat. 

• Like 1