JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

Visited on Sunday and got the tour. All of the hotel amenities are not fully operational, but the property is generally fully open and functioning - the spa is still under construction and at least the presidential suite is still under construction. They also said work was still being done on the second floor.

Lunch was fantastic, and the property is absolutely beautiful. The amenities also seem to be unsurpassed in Houston.  i can't wait to stay in one of the rooms.

Also, to second what was said earlier, the property extends all the way to Travis St. which you can't really tell from outside. We got a tour of one of the lounges and it has a nice view overlooking the Esperson building. 

• Like 1

Also, to second what was said earlier, the property extends all the way to Travis St. which you can't really tell from outside. We got a tour of one of the lounges and it has a nice view overlooking the Esperson building. 

I did not know this was the case anywhere but in the tunnels. Very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

hey gang, does anyone have any new illustrations as per the JW MARRIOTT?  have they positioned the new letters upon the new porte cochere?  are they now officially open?  i shall probably be back in town within a couple of weeks... upon then i shall book a weekend...

hey gang, does anyone have any new illustrations as per the JW MARRIOTT?  have they positioned the new letters upon the new porte cochere?  are they now officially open?  i shall probably be back in town within a couple of weeks... upon then i shall book a weekend...

Here's some pics from their FB page; yes they're officially open.

1012091_365350386973824_3243033087377050

10686993_365350280307168_131346276569741

10704005_365350276973835_841902527885445

10696427_365350553640474_223221681404843

10644402_365350556973807_424705428109817

64336_365350453640484_821771400539958787

10710661_365350383640491_756379552872147

10342884_365361476972715_151898739067119

1976935_365350333640496_4621892267042712

10301454_365358850306311_589780519741694

1555425_365350353640494_8758594913837934

10440781_365350283640501_834274621164973

• Like 6

keep-calm-and-omg-1.png

please trust me urbannizer... for i am not aware upon whether or not if you have ever been to dubai, or visited many of the SUPER WORLD CLASS hotel's abroad...

however, i can honestly assure you, that upon these most gorgeous illustrations that you have so generously supplied...

many of those hotels... no matter how very luxurious... no matter how very exotic... no matter their national and worldly brands...

THEY SHALL NOW BE JEALOUS OF HOUSTON!

Ah, I see you've been introduced to one of the Instant Alert Suites. Complimentary service, of course, and so much more convenient than the pesky and outdated wake-up call procedure most hotels currently utilize.

Enjoy your stay, and oh by the way, the first aid kit is available at the front desk, for your convenience.

Edited by Purpledevil
  • Like 2

No letters said yet.

post-709-14140007329725_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

thanks tigereye.  i would have to honestly state that i was a bit surprised as per the initial exterior streetscape advertisement via urbannizer.  that whole streetscape scene was just a bit to clean with the light rail and all.  but hey, i am most certain that the completed porte cochere shall be forthcoming.  i am hoping that it is as spectacular as the hotel itself...

Why do you think that the porte cochere is not completed?  And...why such anticipation for the Signage?  I get the feeling that it is all completed.

you may want to reference the renderings of the conceptual porte cochere.  also, place yourself in the mindset of a hotel patron that has never been to houston.  you just so happen to ride up along side this most fabulous hotel (or whatever it may be)... OH MY, WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS PLACE?  we most certainly want to avoid this form of negligence.  the hotel moniker JW MARRIOTT shall indeed need to be placed upon the top of the porte cochere as per the rendering.  

if not, then CONDE NASTE shall overlook this edifice.   HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

Signage to come...

Y'all love it now, just wait 'til Christmas.... ;)

clip_congratulations2.gif

purpledevil, please forgive me if i am wrong... but it seems that you may harbor

some form of an affiliation as per the JW MARRIOTT DOWNTOWN HOUSTON.

if this is indeed so.. then please accept my congratulations to you and the entire staff 

as per this most gorgeous hotel.

also, if i may add... i simply love the dark brown columns that are featured throughout

this beautiful edifice.  upon my view, they tend to add a very unique and historical character

to the building itself.  a monumental fusion of modern day... vs history.

simply beautiful.

• Like 1

I work for Marriott corporate, and thank you so much for the kind words. You might find me lurking around any of the area's full service hotels on most any given day, and even a couple of the extended stays. I can't take any credit for how beautiful this turned out, it far exceeds anything I ever expected from the initial renderings. I really struggled with keeping quiet on the gryphon btw, lol.

I sure don't want to cross any lines here on the HAIF as far as self promotion, please remove and forgive if so, but I hope you guys will stop by and have a look for yourself, or better yet, have a sales manager show you around. No picture posted here really tells the story of the complete transformation of the Carter building and neighbors. I'll pass along your kind words, monarch, I'm sure it will instill many proud smiles.

• Like 4

I don't work for any hotel, nor do I pretend to on TV... but I will second everything Purpledevil said about the transformation.  I was up close and personal for the entire process.  The result is certainly worth the minor nuisance that the interim obstacle course presented to those of us in the immediate neighborhood.

• Like 1

I work for Marriott corporate, and thank you so much for the kind words. You might find me lurking around any of the area's full service hotels on most any given day, and even a couple of the extended stays. I can't take any credit for how beautiful this turned out, it far exceeds anything I ever expected from the initial renderings. I really struggled with keeping quiet on the gryphon btw, lol.

I sure don't want to cross any lines here on the HAIF as far as self promotion, please remove and forgive if so, but I hope you guys will stop by and have a look for yourself, or better yet, have a sales manager show you around. No picture posted here really tells the story of the complete transformation of the Carter building and neighbors. I'll pass along your kind words, monarch, I'm sure it will instill many proud smiles.

Thanks for stopping by. If you went through the thread here, I was one of the folks that took pictures of the whole process of restoration. Nits were picked in the process, but I will say that the finished product really is very nice. It seems to be very busy as well, so from that angle Marriott looks to have a real success on their hands here.

With Main/BG Place across the street and this renovation, that block has improved more than anone could have reasonably hoped. If someone could move in to Battelsteins, maybe the $0.99 store will get priced out of the neighborhood and that building could be restored to its original look (which was really cool).

• Like 1

That's cool.  Thanks for sharing that.  I definitely plan on checking out the inside and maybe even spending a night sometime.  

I hope that you guys don't mind the honesty of some of the comments here on HAIF!

What?

I can't picture it. Are the buildings shown in the windows photoshopped or something?

Window on the left can only be on the north side of the building, but window on the right can only be on the south side of the building (or east side looking southeast). There's no building corner that could have both of these views.

Edited by H-Town Man

Yes.  The window to the left is the correct view, but the window to the right is pointing about 90 degrees off (it's looking at BG Group Place from the wrong angle).  But this is normal for this kind of rendering so I don't know why it really matters.  It's just an approximation of the view.

Yes.  The window to the left is the correct view, but the window to the right is pointing about 90 degrees off (it's looking at BG Group Place from the wrong angle).  But this is normal for this kind of rendering so I don't know why it really matters.  It's just an approximation of the view.

I don't think it really matters. Just found it interesting. I am guessing these are stock photos of room concepts and they just photoshopped in the window views and the image of Houston on the tv screens.

I also wonder about the exposed steel columns. Very striking aesthetic, but don't steel columns in a high rise have to be insulated, otherwise it's a fire hazard? Maybe purdueenginerd can weigh in.

I had lunch there about a week and a half ago (about 2x the price it would have been elsewhere, but about what I expected, and the food was very good) and sat right by one of the exposed steel beams.  It definitely looked very cool.  I like what they've done with the building.  The tunnel level is quite nice, too, with some large meeting rooms and an attractive floor.  They really did an excellent job on the building.  Still, it's a bit disconcerting how many bathtubs I can see at any given time from my building (my coworkers already have some interesting stories of what they've seen of guests who forget to close the window shade in the bathroom in the morning).