JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

If I get some free time I wouldn't mind going to check this out...as probably one of HAIF's tallest members at 6'5 I could easily figure this wing span thing out. Buuuut i don't want to lay for parking someone tell me where I can find free parking close to this or at least only pay a few bucks

Parking on the streets is free every night after 6:00 and all day Sundays. 

I haven't seen this in person, but from the pictures, it looks like one would almost have to try to hit their head on it.  I don't see what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1

If I get some free time I wouldn't mind going to check this out...as probably one of HAIF's tallest members at 6'5 I could easily figure this wing span thing out. Buuuut i don't want to lay for parking someone tell me where I can find free parking close to this or at least only pay a few bucks

I'm 6'1", I'll test it out once they open the sidewalk.

• Like 1

Not necessarily.

The construction worker standing under the wings with a hardhat on, im fairly certain he is a Mexican immigrant, which would put him in the 4'6"-4'11" range, so yes, those wings are still very low.

I'm 5' 8" and in my previous picture up close, I was eye level with it. The Wings are definitely low and oddly placed. It's a hazard, an accident waiting to happen once they open the sidewalks...

Edited by tigereye

Note: the above photo was actually taken under 801 Travis, whose tunnel level is also being renovated as a part of this project.  The tunnel here has been open off and on in recent weeks, but today it was closed again.

If I understand correctly, the 801 Travis tunnel renovations will end up being used by the hotel.  Because of this, they moved the building's mailbox bank from under the stairs to the first floor.

I'm kind of surprised to see that the stairs in the background remained.  Previously, they were the access from 801 Travis to parts east, including the Main @ Walker garage and BG Place.  Obviously, they're not exactly ADA compliant, unless there's some alternate access that isn't immediately apparent.  Perhaps one of our design professional colleagues could chime in on if and how bringing that point into compliance might not be required.

Note: the above photo was actually taken under 801 Travis, whose tunnel level is also being renovated as a part of this project.  The tunnel here has been open off and on in recent weeks, but today it was closed again.

I actually just walked down the stairs in 801 Travis to get the shot. Looks like meeting space under 801 for the most part, but a lounge is supposed to be incorporated.

If I understand correctly, the 801 Travis tunnel renovations will end up being used by the hotel.  Because of this, they moved the building's mailbox bank from under the stairs to the first floor.

I'm kind of surprised to see that the stairs in the background remained.  Previously, they were the access from 801 Travis to parts east, including the Main @ Walker garage and BG Place.  Obviously, they're not exactly ADA compliant, unless there's some alternate access that isn't immediately apparent.  Perhaps one of our design professional colleagues could chime in on if and how bringing that point into compliance might not be required.

Tough to say, there may be a ramp more under 806 that we can not see yet, or they are relying on street level access to be ADA compliant, but I'd be lying if I said I knew the particulars of that and how one would apply it to the tunnels.

I actually just walked down the stairs in 801 Travis to get the shot. Looks like meeting space under 801 for the most part, but a lounge is supposed to be incorporated.

Tough to say, there may be a ramp more under 806 that we can not see yet, or they are relying on street level access to be ADA compliant, but I'd be lying if I said I knew the particulars of that and how one would apply it to the tunnels.

I'm hoping there's a ramp or lift someplace not yet easily seen.  While 801 does have an exit to Rusk, IIRC the two doors one must pass through don't have automatic openers - those are on the front doors facing Travis.  Which means, if they're relying on street access, one must take the elevator from the tunnel level to the street level, and then go down Travis to Rusk, turn and go a block down Rusk, and then another bit down Main to the nearest public door at the JW.  Very little of that is under cover.

where do guests park?

At their home airport, by valet, or the same way anybody else who don't have a contract downtown does (that's coming off snarkier than I meant, sorry).  The hotel has taken some nearby parking garage space for its valets; they're able to sardine cars in more than the general  public can, just as I can shove four or five down my driveway in a pinch.

In reality, Guest Quarters and the Sam Houston don't seem to have much of a problem, and they don't have any visibly available parking either.

I'm thinking of trying to come up with a parking space dowsing fork.

ADA mystery solved.  There is a single chair lift at the opposite side of the steps (left from the perspective in the picture above).  Easy viewing is blocked by the main steps up to the lobby and further masked by the unassuming blending in of the beige device itself.

• Like 1

the place looks great, but I can't help but want to aide the griffin in escaping it's captors that have imprisoned it with that strange griffin captivity device.

He looks like he wants to fly away, but can't.

He could chew off his wings I  suppose. But what kinda griffin doesn't have wings?

Just strange.

• Like 2

11SsKgs.png

tigereye, i cannot thank you enough my pal, as per these incredible illustrations.

this particular marriott project, ranks along side the river oaks district, as my current construction favorites.

i have been in and out of town lately, and your's, larry's, triton's, and a small host of others... have been hereby keeping us abreast as per all ongoing activity.

the 13ft gryphon, imo, is a complete masterpiece.  this totally innovative, and yet intellectual art work, shall hereby enhance houston's current reputation as the IT place to be.

pretty soon, the outside porte cochere, shall hereby be completed, and it's lights shall be initiated.

this, is ultimately what i have been awaiting.  once this transpires, that whole area shall become the essential.  it shall be beautiful.

thanks again everyone!

• Like 1