JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

Good news, but too bad they couldn't have gotten it while they were doing the JW construction.  I seem to recall media reports indicating that the hotel developers made offers but couldn't reach a deal.  My own wild speculation is that they have some contingencies drawn up for back-of-the-house uses for it.  Agree parking seems like an impossibility.  If nothing else,  a refresh of street-side face should be on the way, and  long overdue.

27 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Assuming it's 50' wide, I'd think you could do 2 units per floor. They'd need to be lofts so natural light could get to the back, but that's not a particularly unusual floor plan. 

Yes, I suppose you could.  But lofts don't match up very well with the product offered by the JWMarriott.  I suspect they will go a different route with this building.

On 12/15/2018 at 0:23 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Meeting rooms, ball room, restaurant, expanded spa, gym, indoor pool, .......

I am thinking that this might be a way to expand “infrastructure” .... not “additional guest rooms”

Why not both?  More infrastructure towards the back, but have the front where the windows are be more guest rooms

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

This will likely be a hotel of its own... Think a more affordable Marriott flag...

There is nothing that states this will be a JW Marriott expansion. Pearl does many hotels.

I don't see how they could get enough windows in the building to create a stand-alone hotel, unless it's a very specialized boutique... maybe 50 rooms?

Edited by Houston19514

32 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I don't see how they could get enough windows in the building to create a stand-alone hotel, unless it's a very specialized boutique... maybe 50 rooms?

13 minutes ago, mollusk said:

There are windows on the back, with a glorious view of the air shaft.  Perhaps they could market those rooms as having an "authentic urban vibe."

I don’t see how it is much different than the Hyatt place hotel going in on Texas Ave. that too has limited front windows and difficult or no light on the side.

17 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I don’t see how it is much different than the Hyatt place hotel going in on Texas Ave. that too has limited front windows and difficult or no light on the side.

It's actually quite different from the Hyatt Place.  That building has windows on the front, the vast majority of the east side, at least half of the west side and part of the south side.  The subject building has windows on the front and maybe an opportunity to add a few windows on the part of the north side. That's it.

20 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

It's actually quite different from the Hyatt Place.  That building has windows on the front, the vast majority of the east side, at least half of the west side and part of the south side.  The subject building has windows on the front and maybe an opportunity to add a few windows on the part of the north side. That's it.

I desperately want an Ace Hotel in Houston. Those are my favorite.

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

I desperately want an Ace Hotel in Houston. Those are my favorite.

Same. If a city has an Ace, I stay there.

31 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

Don't Capitol Lofts and Kirby Lofts have many units with only one wall of windows that are fairly deep?

For Capitol, the entire front of the building is floor to ceiling windows. The sides of Capitol Lofts actually open to interior courtyards (you can see it on google maps satellite view). One of the courtyards is bounded by Club Quarters and the soon to be open AC Hotel and you can see the top of BG Group Place from it. There are balconies both over main street and one of the courtyards which makes it a lot less claustrophobic.

Looks like there is a courtyard between Battlestein and the JW.

Note: I'm using courtyard loosely here. More like spaces between buildings.

• 1 month later...

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Hot-riveted iron support beams at Historic JW Marriott Houston Downtown

Throughout the lobby, hallways, and even inside some guest rooms, the original iron support beams have been uncovered and made a central design feature as a nod to the hotel’s history. Made by the same workers who built the Brooklyn Bridge, the workers’ original stamp is still visible on some of the supports.
JW Marriott, Houston Downtown

View the full article

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
24 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Battelstein's was just listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

That seems like a *very* good sign, and might also explain the delay.

That means they will seek historic restoration tax credits... good.

How did you find this out?