JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

While I am disappointed with the restaurant atmosphere (a shame really), I have already reached out to my company's travel/logistics buyer to attempt negotiate a rate for this hotel. My guess based on what I have seen here is that the service and accommodations will be top notch.

I think that people will enjoy staying there and tunnel access is a big plus. We do a bunch of entertaining (business dinners, etc) those likely won't work well (bar, lobby, TV's, etc) and we will need to go to our other haunts. I also didn't see on my one visit if there was a "private dining area" that could be booked for small parties. Quattro has the wine room and two other function rooms. Same with Mortons and others. JW might, I just don't know. If it did, that would be a plus and we might be able to book a few more things there.

I think that my takeaway is this: put folks up there for their stay but plan business meals elsewhere.

• Like 1

While I am disappointed with the restaurant atmosphere (a shame really), I have already reached out to my company's travel/logistics buyer to attempt negotiate a rate for this hotel. My guess based on what I have seen here is that the service and accommodations will be top notch.

I think that people will enjoy staying there and tunnel access is a big plus. We do a bunch of entertaining (business dinners, etc) those likely won't work well (bar, lobby, TV's, etc) and we will need to go to our other haunts. I also didn't see on my one visit if there was a "private dining area" that could be booked for small parties. Quattro has the wine room and two other function rooms. Same with Mortons and others. JW might, I just don't know. If it did, that would be a plus and we might be able to book a few more things there.

I think that my takeaway is this: put folks up there for their stay but plan business meals elsewhere.

ninth floor optimum dining area / room is currently undergoing renovations.  should be open at some point this month (november).  this room goes back to the original owners private space.  it has a gorgeous fireplace and a few beautiful amenities.  upon my very own personal view, once completed... this magnificent space shall accommodate your private socials like royalty.... just sayin...

keep-calm-and-pamper-me-3.png

omg... the sign is now up upon the porte cochere!

much obliged as per the wonderful illustrations downtownian.

hopefully we can get nate99 / triton / larry dierker to present a few larger than life pics of this final piece to the gateway of luxury...

• Like 1

ninth floor optimum dining area / room is currently undergoing renovations. should be open at some point this month (november). this room goes back to the original owners private space. it has a gorgeous fireplace and a few beautiful amenities. upon my very own personal view, once completed... this magnificent space shall accommodate your private socials like royalty.... just sayin...

Well, that will be great. I am fairly often in need to book a dinner for 8-12 people. If the room is too small it's terrible. If the room is too big it feels like a cave. Hopefully this space might work. Personally, I like the way Quattro at the four seasons is laid out..... Bar area in the front, big dining room and 3 function rooms off to the sides. It is gracious and accommodating. Not sure how a room on the 9th floor will seem --- i don't want things to feel like a "function" but more of a "restaraunt dinner". after it is open, I might go take a quick look.

Regardless, I commend Marriott for rehabbing this building and I wish them total success.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As has been pointed out, a new "plywood, painted black, construction wall" was erected in front of this building a few weeks ago.

As I walked by today, the Plywood door was open as was the actual building door. There was some kind of construction (or destruction) activity going on inside. Could not see anything except miscellaneous tools and carts and shop lights, but could hear the work going on.

Just saying..... Something is up.....

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...
56 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Kind of torn on what I would like to see here. 

As long as it isn't turned into parking. 

It very well might be. Parking is all the rage downtown. Although I would think they would have signed a long lease with the garage they've been using. And I don't think there are any curb cuts along this part of Main so I doubt the city would allow one, but we've certainly shot Texas Ave full of curb cuts so I wouldn't be surprised.

21 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

And its location on Main. I'm hoping they somehow connect the hotel to this building and possibly make additional rooms. 

They definitely connect at the tunnel/basement level, though who knows what is down there in the Battelstein space.  Does the JW have any meeting or amenity space on the second or third floor?  JW could at a minimum expand the lobby at the street level and have a second set of elevators that take you up in the other "tower".   

11 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

They definitely connect at the tunnel/basement level, though who knows what is down there in the Battelstein space.  Does the JW have any meeting or amenity space on the second or third floor?  JW could at a minimum expand the lobby at the street level and have a second set of elevators that take you up in the other "tower".   

Exactly. I highly doubt they will demo this building.