JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

I agree.  My reaction to the above photo was to think that bathing in that room would be an exhibitionists dream ...

ok, well.. let us not forget the perverts that love to gaze into those beautiful bathroom windows. it actually works both ways.  but the tie goes to the residence.. simply due to the fact that he / she paid for the experience...

I walked by this morning, and it looks like they are installing plywood boarding in front of the old Battelstein's building at the street level entrance. I am hopeful that this means that they have come up with a permanent use for it and are about to begin some renovation there. It looks to have been used as a construction office during the renovation. If they were not gong to use it in the future, it seems to me that it would revert back to the way it was, but that does not appear to be the case.

• Like 1

I walked by this morning, and it looks like they are installing plywood boarding in front of the old Battelstein's building at the street level entrance. I am hopeful that this means that they have come up with a permanent use for it and are about to begin some renovation there. It looks to have been used as a construction office during the renovation. If they were not gong to use it in the future, it seems to me that it would revert back to the way it was, but that does not appear to be the case.

So they are basically putting a plywood fence around the building? If that is the case, it sounds like there is some activity there.

If they are boarding up the building itself, then that implies (to me) they are going to let it sit for awhile...

BTW, who owns the building? Does Marriott? If we know it sounds like that could help us understand what could go in. Hotel space doesnt seem to make sense since there is a lack of windows.

So they are basically putting a plywood fence around the building? If that is the case, it sounds like there is some activity there.

If they are boarding up the building itself, then that implies (to me) they are going to let it sit for awhile...

BTW, who owns the building? Does Marriott? If we know it sounds like that could help us understand what could go in. Hotel space doesnt seem to make sense since there is a lack of windows.

What I actually saw was new 2x4 frame walls being set up outside of the entrance, so it is away from/not attached to the building itself.  Looks like a plywood fence will be going on.

It sat empty for decades without any boards on the windows, but it did have a steel gate in front of the front doors prior to the renovation of 806.

Good. I hope to see that block continue to improve.

Is it best suited for office space or commercial of some sort?

It's last use was as Battelstein's department store, so I imagine that it is fairly open in the interior. Seems like it would be a good fit for meeting space associated with the hotel, but that obviously did not get rolled in to the renovation. Who knows what kind of structural challenges might be lurking in that adjacent wall.

Interestingly, it looks like it reaches all the way back to connect to the 801 Travis building . I did not realize that until I saw the very dated photo of it on the Weise Properties' website.

The Battelstein's building has a chunk of tunnel running under it already, hooking up with the Marriott on one end and the Walker @ Main Garage on the other.  IDK how accessible it is from inside its host building, though it's prolly nothing that can't be fixed with the help of our friend Mr. Jackhammer.  

1129354-Cartoon-Of-A-Happy-Jackhammer-Ma

• Like 1

I stayed at the JW Saturday, my impression was that the wall was to spruce the area up a bit for those people staying at the JW.  The valet is right in front of the old Battelstein's and the building is dark and dicey looking at night.  I imagine it will be covered with one of those banners that look like fake retail.  BTW - the JW has a lot of work left.  I stayed on floor 12, but wondered around a bit.  Floors 2-5 had a lot of work left on them.  Not sure how much is complete. 

• Like 1

I stayed at the JW Saturday, my impression was that the wall was to spruce the area up a bit for those people staying at the JW.  The valet is right in front of the old Battelstein's and the building is dark and dicey looking at night.  I imagine it will be covered with one of those banners that look like fake retail.  BTW - the JW has a lot of work left.  I stayed on floor 12, but wondered around a bit.  Floors 2-5 had a lot of work left on them.  Not sure how much is complete. 

much obliged, as per your update ttuchris.  however, i'm a bit surprised that you were hereby able to wonder around a section of the hotel that is still undergoing construction.  isn't there a bit of a liability involved here?  as there are no signage above the front entrance porte cochere, as well as no official hotel flags... i would assume that this hotel is not yet officially open for business.  it seems, that this is only a "soft opening" thus far...

That is correct, the hotel is open and is available for booking, however the property has not had its grand opening, nor is it completed. This can be lumped into the reason why the exterior signage has yet to be erected.

Battlestein's Department Store is not owned by Marriott, and I have no clue as to what may be transpiring in there. I can tell you that the store WAS used for something else after it closed up as a department store. A club of some sort had either opened up inside of it, or at least made an attempt to do so.

I liked the entry way to the store, a beautiful throwback to the glory days of Houston retail, but certainly understand why it would need to be covered up, whether or not plans are being put into place for work to commence on the store.

Going to the opera on Saturday night.

Might give dinner there another go. The chefs are spectacular. Food was terrific on our first visit. Absolutely terrific. Maybe the atmosphere will be more to our likening the second time around.

Went to main kitchen on Monday. They had the football game on the TVs and there were a number of people cheering loudly. Strange atmosphere to enjoy a $50 entree. I wish the coffee was a little cheaper - last time I went, a medium to-go cup was $6.50.

Went to main kitchen on Monday. They had the football game on the TVs and there were a number of people cheering loudly. Strange atmosphere.......

This was exactly my comment a few pages back. My first visit just felt odd. The chefs have done their job.... The food was great. Really, really thoughtful and inventive. I can't speak more highly of the food. But, They deserve a better space IMO. Service was also attentive and skilled.

My first visit was fine -- but the place was largely empty. But those TVs were distracting and the lighting cast hard shadows on the face. This time, If there is noisy boosterism in the bar, it will be my last visit. Shame too as I entertain (in downtown) on business routinely and was looking for spots other than Quattro, Mortons, etc to have a solid business dinner with associates. I was hopeful that with these chefs and the JW brand that I would find more than a bar with big TVs, tight tables, all combined into a space with lobby seating.

my next visit will tell the tale, I suppose.

I'm on my phone but a few people here work at the hotel and or for Marriott. Can they not put in a word that this is a problem? It seems to be a reoccuring experience and is a shame to be plaguing such an otherwise wonderful space. Maybe they could convert some of the other space down in the tunnel level or elsewhere for a more bar like setting?

please HAIF JW MARRIOTT patrons, please continue alerting us as per your experiences at this gorgeous new downtown hotel facility.  purpledevil, our HAIF stalwart.. works for marriot corporate.  this may be a brilliant part of their pre grand opening strategy to iron out all of the minor deficiencies until the actual grand opening appears.  i would think that this would indeed be a wonderful tool for purpledevil to help / assist the Marriott management as per any ongoing minor issues....  

• Like 2

^ what he said.

Cloud, no need to put the word in. I can assure you, my eyes aren't the only pair peering into this thread. I wish I could offer more, but I'm not at liberty to do so. I can assure you that any comments voiced here are most assuredly welcome, desired, and noted. Monarch is spot on, this is a spectacular avenue for feedback that will help the property make the adjustments needed to ensure the most pleasurable stay for all of our guests. Add this with the feedback the property receives from the online satisfaction surveys we send out post stay, and you get a true perspective of what areas are in need of improvement, and what areas are firing on all cylinders.

Kylejack, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of improvements to the Battelstein's building on our part. If the property owner would simply give the building a bath, it would be a marked improvement.

• Like 3

I think if the TVs were in the  lounge area, or maybe a different area, that would make the dinning experience better. I ate there a couple weeks ago. It was too bright, and needed maybe a little more formal dining atmosphere. background music? not sure, but it can be improved some. food was excellent.

• Like 1

Here's an article in Houstonia about the various design elements of the hotel. The community table at Main Kitchen was done by New Living (the Heights pocket park people):

http://www.houstoniamag.com/fashion-and-shopping/shop-talk/articles/local-design-leads-at-downtowns-new-jw-marriott-november-2014

much obliged.  props for sharing!

^ what he said.

Cloud, no need to put the word in. I can assure you, my eyes aren't the only pair peering into this thread. I wish I could offer more, but I'm not at liberty to do so. I can assure you that any comments voiced here are most assuredly welcome, desired, and noted. Monarch is spot on, this is a spectacular avenue for feedback that will help the property make the adjustments needed to ensure the most pleasurable stay for all of our guests. Add this with the feedback the property receives from the online satisfaction surveys we send out post stay, and you get a true perspective of what areas are in need of improvement, and what areas are firing on all cylinders.

Kylejack, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of improvements to the Battelstein's building on our part. If the property owner would simply give the building a bath, it would be a marked improvement.

Purpledevil, thanks for this insight and your attentiveness.

Are you at liberty to say whether y'all are in contact with the Battlestein's owner, and whether they would honor a request from you to give the building a bath? Do you have any insight about any future tenants occupying that space? It would seem that any JW guests who want to eat something different would go north on main, not south, and that is unfortunate that the area south of JW on main is not nicer.