Saw this on the fence on the Burnett and Fulton sides of the Hardy Yards reserve. Maybe this means we’ll soon have something else to talk about, like the “real” Hardy Yards development starting? Would developers request a build line variance if they’re not planning something relatively soon?

3D2E1BE1-11F1-4CE9-A78C-E75385A6AF0A.jpeg

D80D6020-EECF-4E85-9694-D5BE5C0F86FE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Good news: Something is happening on the main Hardy Yards.

Bad (ish) news: It's just a multi-family residential development. Still no movement on the mixed-use portion, though they still say that's what's coming. I don't recall this being part of the original plan, though. I'm worried that this looks like your standard suburban housing development.

Scan_0002.jpg

Scan_0003.jpg

If I am looking at that drawing right, it seems to be a suburban-style garden-style apartment complex with open-air parking of the type they are starting to tear down inside the loop now because of its very low density.  I hope I'm missing something here, because this seems totally out of place for something that should have an urban feel.

7 minutes ago, rechlin said:

If I am looking at that drawing right, it seems to be a suburban-style garden-style apartment complex with open-air parking of the type they are starting to tear down inside the loop now because of its very low density.  I hope I'm missing something here, because this seems totally out of place for something that should have an urban feel.

This certainly looks like Alief or Greenspoint area circa 1976. I can only suppose the developer believes this is all the market will support for the next 20 years then will sell it or redevelop it for more density. At least it may provide some more reasonably priced, and better quality housing for those who want or need to be near downtown but cannot afford $2-3/sq. ft./month rents.

My big regret is that I've seen complexes such as this become "shooting galleries" many time over once the economy starts on a downward trend and management starts letting maintenance slide, e.g. Greenspoint circa 1987. :(

At least the parking (and it's a LOT of parking) isn't along the street, but this is a real wasted opportunity.

Would make more sense to continue Chestnut and Gentry streets across Burnett to get some smaller block sizes, then build all the way to the lot line. This much surface parking this close to downtown is kinda gross.

That was my initial concern, but the various size structures and shapes imply to me that they're townhomes. It's fairly uncommon, but there are a few townhome-based developments I've seen with all that open-air parking. Seems way too much for the given size, though.

Considering the land value in the area, I don't see how they could justify low-rent housing that close to downtown as being "all the market will support". New construction has been selling at around $200/sf in that area (likely partly on speculation about this development, of course), and the demographic trend has been towards displaced Heights people. Putting low-value rental up as their first development would basically tank the value of the other 30 acres they have. Unless the developers themselves are in desperate straights after failing to sell the property, and this is a cynical effort to drop their property taxes, it just doesn't seem to make sense to non-developer me.

Yeah something seems off.  Why would they build parking lots instead of garages?  These would be the closest residential parking lots to downtown - the next closest would be the small amount of open air parking for Camden Midtown

The Hardy Yards development has always seemed a little off to me.  I can’t put a finger on why.  It just seems like the wrong type of development for the neighborhood.  Really, everything just north of the Bayou on the north end of downtown is awkward to me.  Steps from downtown and yet a world away.  I’m sure the freeway has a lot to do with it.

13 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

Steps from downtown and yet a world away.  I’m sure the freeway has a lot to do with it.

Because it just feels so disconnected from downtown, especially with the railroad crossings... I'm hoping the future Fulton extension into downtown will really help this area out.

I counted about 100 apartments on the drawing. Assuming it's 3 stories (typical for suburban-style apartment complexes), that's 300 apartments. By eyeball, it looks like about 500 surface parking spaces. Which would be about right w/r/t CoH parking minimums. 

If they could make a 4-story wrap work on the corner of the site next to Elysian, why is it so much lower-density on the part closer to the light rail line? It's kind of laughable that they use the terms walkable and transit-oriented in a variance request for a project that is over half surface parking. 

2 hours ago, Sparrow said:

Request was deferred. They want more info on the Fulton Street bridge as well as elevation drawings. 

This is the planning commission? That’s good, sounds like they aren’t rubber-stamping. However, since the other choice may be simply the keep the 25-foot setback and put parking in front, allowing this is probably the least of two evils.

• 2 months later...

I was in the area yesterday and decided to drive through the site. They are still working, albeit very slowly. It looks like the clock tower is nearing completion and the scaffolding has been taken down on almost all sides. It's a really nice development and it looks sharp, but it certainly feels like a ghost town over there. 

I hadn't been to the site before, and it is a bit out of range in terms of walking to downtown, but it's cool how close it is to Saint Arnold's Brewery. I think if they can add some more amenities (retail, green space), it could be a pretty cool place to be. But who knows what the timetable is on this? Probably take years to get to that point.

Good question. Last we heard (earlier in the thread) that it was deferred. I don't know if that means they can come back and provide the planning commission the requested information without another hearing, or if we should expect an additional mailer. If the commission requested the elevations, I'm thinking they probably don't have that done yet. I'd expect they would have expected to hold off on any but the most bare-bones platting requirements until they got their variance. The variance request signs are gone, for whatever that may mean.

So we've got the gawdawful suburban-sprawl style apartment complex going up right next to downtown? Oh, joy. I suppose I should be grateful that it's not going to be something that will block my view of the downtown skyline, but what happened to mixed use? I guess at this point we can only hope that it's going to be a trigger for the REST of the open space to get developed into retail and office space.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Kinglyam said:

So we've got the gawdawful suburban-sprawl style apartment complex going up right next to downtown? Oh, joy. I suppose I should be grateful that it's not going to be something that will block my view of the downtown skyline, but what happened to mixed use? I guess at this point we can only hope that it's going to be a trigger for the REST of the open space to get developed into retail and office space.

How long is the freeway construction project around Downtown supposed to take? Considering this property will be directly next to that several years long construction project, the fact that anything is being built at this time is rather amazing.

A suburban style apartment complex won't last very long--look at the Buffalo Heights property on Washington. Those apartments weren't very old before beginning the process of upgrading to a higher use.

1 hour ago, Sparrow said:

How long is the freeway construction project around Downtown supposed to take? Considering this property will be directly next to that several years long construction project, the fact that anything is being built at this time is rather amazing.

A suburban style apartment complex won't last very long--look at the Buffalo Heights property on Washington. Those apartments weren't very old before beginning the process of upgrading to a higher use.

At this point, it's more of a question of when it will happen. Probably not for at least another decade, maybe longer (or never). Funding hasn't even been requested, much less authorized, and it's one of the last phases planned. I'd imagine that would take a good 4 - 5 years to complete.

8 hours ago, Kinglyam said:

At this point, it's more of a question of when it will happen. Probably not for at least another decade, maybe longer (or never). Funding hasn't even been requested, much less authorized, and it's one of the last phases planned. I'd imagine that would take a good 4 - 5 years to complete.

I think this segment (Segment 3) is funded. Construction is expected to start on the south end of segment 3 in late Spring 2020, IIRC, and all of Segment 3 is expected to be completed in 7-8 years (starting from late Spring 2020).https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59825dc16b8f5bdb6eb02f9e/t/5a62351ef9619a7cc84a7736/1516385571796/TAG+MotionMAP+brochure_2018_FINAL_1.12.18.pdf

Edited by Houston19514

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I think this segment (Segment 3) is funded. Constructed is expected to start on the south end of segment 3 in late Spring 2020, IIRC, and all of Segment 3 is expected to be completed in 7-8 years (starting from late Spring 2020).https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59825dc16b8f5bdb6eb02f9e/t/5a62351ef9619a7cc84a7736/1516385571796/TAG+MotionMAP+brochure_2018_FINAL_1.12.18.pdf

Hmmm... that's news to me and my area. I'll have to discuss this with the Superneighborhood... when did this get funded? Not saying it's wrong.. just surprised if true.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, southerncrj said:

Hey everyone, this is my first post, although I have been following the forum for a while. 

I do not think it has been posted,  but it seems Hardy Yards got its official website and Facebook page up:
https://www.hardyyardsliving.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Apartment---Condo-Building/Hardy-Yards-Apartment-Homes-570592853358049/

Thanks southerncrj---and welcome! 👋

• Like 2

16 hours ago, southerncrj said:

Hey everyone, this is my first post, although I have been following the forum for a while. 

I do not think it has been posted,  but it seems Hardy Yards got its official website and Facebook page up:
https://www.hardyyardsliving.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Apartment---Condo-Building/Hardy-Yards-Apartment-Homes-570592853358049/

Good find. Didn't think they had a website up yet. Even though the overall look of this building isn't my cup of tea, in that rendering it actually looks pretty good.

• Like 1