1 hour ago, Kinglyam said:

Should we be concerned if their portfolio is all mid-rise apartments? Hardy Yards has been developing on the promise of mixed use. If the infill with all apartments, there will be no easy space for retail, and the development boom will likely bust hard.

It will be very disappointing if all these tracts end up being apartments only. May feel like one of those Robert Moses super blocks along the East River...

• Like 2

Do we know if they do any mixed development? Looking at their website I don't see a list of past projects.  Never mind. They have a list of apartment properties after looking for awhile didn't spot a mixed use... damn. 

Hopefully they have more in mind for it than just apartment spam. Although that many apartments insures that the neighboring mostly abandoned warehouses get flipped into something commercial.

What about see attached, is that our only hope of something that isn't an apartment? Or is that already planned too?

(also anyone else constantly running into stray dogs in this area, holyshit people put your dogs up, have 311 on speed dial)

hy.PNG

Edited by Two
  • Like 4

I just talked to one of the representatives for the Hardy Yard TIRZ and it sounds like not only will this project likely not have any retail, Cypress has scrapped any park or green space for the project. They said the TIRZ feels Cypress sold them on mixed use and parks and is now just proceeding without any of that. Very disappointing if true. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As a side-note, but perhaps it has more to do with it as a long-term trend... Why does it seem like north-side management is in particular completely inept? Just compare their website's to midtown's, it's beyond embarrassing. They can't sell themselves at all. It's a train wreck. Seriously think we should set up a coup. (maybe I am just pissed atm...)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Two said:

As a side-note, but perhaps it has more to do with it as a long-term trend... Why does it seem like north-side management is in particular completely inept? Just compare their website's to midtown's, it's beyond embarrassing. They can't sell themselves at all. It's a train wreck. Seriously think we should set up a coup. (maybe I am just pissed atm...)

Eh. I feel the same way with Montrose sometimes. Areas with demo's that are in flux, shifting around, or have been the same make up for a long time will kind of just settle into a rut. Montrose was that way for awhile, but seems to just now be shaking it off. Midtown was non-existent, but now is one of the key examples one should follow in create a redevelopment authority. Same goes for Downtown. The Heights is now full steam ahead. Upper Kirby was a drive-by between Uptown and Downtown, and now has its own thing. Uptown is going through a renaissance. All of this took a lot of work to do, and while some will complain about it, gentrification is necessary to re-energizing a community. It brings new people, new ideas, and new perspectives on what is possible. The East as a whole is the next frontier. East Downtown is getting going. We got a couple cranes in East End now. 3rd Ward is getting its first real wave of people to come in. Near Northside has so much potential, but the logistics at the moment is a real nightmare. There are so many moving pieces and chips that have to fall infrastructure wise before people will even consider it. Until new people with new ideas move in then the ineptitude will continue. Stagnation is a breeding ground for corruption and ineptitude, and that cycle will not break if its the same people with the same ideas who also refuse to change and adapt.

As for Hardy Yards in general, its been really disappointing as a whole. There are so many large scale mixed-use concepts getting off the ground. If East River can happen, and GID with Regent Square can finally after years get off the ground than so should Hardy Yards. With that being said:

52 minutes ago, TOMIKA! said:

I just talked to one of the representatives for the Hardy Yard TIRZ and it sounds like not only will this project likely not have any retail, Cypress has scrapped any park or green space for the project. They said the TIRZ feels Cypress sold them on mixed use and parks and is now just proceeding without any of that. Very disappointing if true. 

Yeah kinda stinks, but the city and these developers have been lowering the bar for years. Honestly it should have just been all Private development from the beginning because the city still has no clue how to implement these ideas themselves. If they had more experience previously then this would have happened at some point. The City just has never had the kind of robust planning experience to be a force in the conversation with private developers on what to do. Instead they should have backed off and let market forces drive the conversation, ala East River. With that being said its a slight setback for now. The important thing is getting more people into this area. Buildings can be altered, and retail added later. There is no retail because there is no people yet. Plain and simple. Burnett St is key really. That street has all the opportunities to become a viable retail/commercial destination and be a spine for that area/community. Lets see what happens with migrations and gentrification begins in earnest, and then retail/commercial will follow suit.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kinglyam said:

Yeah, don’t tell me about turning Burnett all retail. We’re building our house right there! 😛

The real question is, now that we know nothing interesting is going up there, is this thread dead?

Nah. Development is development. Even if all residential its better than what was there before, vacant lots, or even before that an abandoned industrial site. Build a backbone of residential first and then you can layer in the good stuff later. I know sometimes it can seem like a "chick and egg" question, but often times it is as simple as just getting people there first. I've driven and walked that area many times now, and its a ghost town. Of course no retail is going to go there!

By all means build the house! Good luck to you pioneer, but the architect in me just looks at this street splines from a metro transit node, and immediately I go...yeah this is your next potential commercial hub. Its so obvious it hurts nobody is taking advantage of it.

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't bother me all that much and I actually welcome it.  I always felt this project was not highest and best use being this close to CBD and on the Red line.  There have been several quality mixed use projects completed, are under construction or have been proposed since the initial Hardy Yards plans were released.  Also consider the amount of added density to the core, and I would think a number of big time developers would be very anxious to bid on this.  It may sit on the drawing board for the near future with the amount of developments in the pipeline, but I'd expect a much larger project than the one it is potentially replacing.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

This doesn't bother me all that much and I actually welcome it.  I always felt this project was not highest and best use being this close to CBD and on the Red line.  There have been several quality mixed use projects completed, are under construction or have been proposed since the initial Hardy Yards plans were released.  Also consider the amount of added density to the core, and I would think a number of big time developers would be very anxious to bid on this.  It may sit on the drawing board for the near future with the amount of developments in the pipeline, but I'd expect a much larger project than the one it is potentially replacing.

Your lips to developer's ears. I'd love to see HEB grab this. It's a second chance, but I'm no longer sanguine about anything but apartments coming in here once they announced they were infilling with that Prose East and Prose West. It sure seems like the perfect place for a new grocery store, which can capture both the new apartment dwellers in Hardy Yards, as well as the apartment dwellers in north downtown around Market Square.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Hardy Yards Development
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Hardy Yards Developments
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 12:16 PM, Texasota said:

Not at all. That is in fact the correct way to feel about it.

I don't mind the clock tower but I do mind that was over 10 minutes behind when I rode by this afternoon. Why even bother with it if you can't keep the time right.

Lo4Ubhn.jpg

b1wnjYu.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3