• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Yeah these look like they are going to age very badly...

Sometimes I wonder how an area or building will look in 20 years. Perhaps there won't be a need for affordable apartments in the vicinity, because these will age and unlikely be revamped, and be cheaper than newer builds. Rinse & repeat (which is a good thing - not everything needs to be overpriced). By that time, 45/10 may be done, and they will be torn down for a new development. "Historic Hardy Yards". Or remain an affordable option for those living close to Downtown. 

• Like 3

I am thinking just like the apartments behind it, they'll have areas with hardy plank and areas with brick. They sell it as an aesthetic to break up the monotony but really they mix it up to save on money, it ends up looking somewhere in-between good, decent and crappy depending on the viewing angle and how they choose to mix the facades.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The first person to open a cafe'/coffee shop here would make a mint. DT is very close but awkward to get to, houston avenue's cafeza used to be this locales peoples goto and it's a bit out of the way and now closed (I don't think for lack of business). The other options are far up main street or main street downtown. I think locale group brew needs to carve a corner out of their brewery/gastro-pub and make money in the morning hours selling coffee and bagels but that's just me.

Edited by Two
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Two said:

The first person to open a cafe'/coffee shop here would make a mint. DT is very close but awkward to get to, houston avenue's cafeza used to be this locales peoples goto and it's a bit out of the way and now closed (I don't think for lack of business). The other options are far up main street or main street downtown. I think locale group brew needs to carve a corner out of their brewery/gastro-pub and make money in the morning hours selling coffee and bagels but that's just me.

I agree.  I'm downtown, but I'd take a train to an easily accessible coffee shop, if it was good. 

As for breakfast, you're spot on there.  Pre-pandemic, lots of chain restaurants expanded into breakfast (Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc...) because they realized that they were paying rent on property 24 hours a day, but they were only bringing in money 16 hours a day. 

Houston is one of those cities with too many restaurants that are open short hours.  Financially, if you're paying $x for a space, you should keep it open as many hours as you can to recoup the cost of $x.   Chick-fil-a gets it, and that's why its tunnel location is open until 5pm.  I've been there at 4:30, and there's still a line because everything else closed hours before.

And in terms of neighborhood commitment, I regularly walk past a bunch of other coffee places in order to patronize to Day 6 (and to a lesser extent Minuti) because it's open long hours and every day, which means it cares about the neighborhood and isn't just there to extract dollars.

• Like 5

On 12/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, editor said:

I agree.  I'm downtown, but I'd take a train to an easily accessible coffee shop, if it was good. 

I regularly walk past a bunch of other coffee places in order to patronize to Day 6 (and to a lesser extent Minuti) because it's open long hours and every day, which means it cares about the neighborhood and isn't just there to extract dollars.

You should add Tipping Point and 3 Fibs to your rotation.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...