9 minutes ago, gmac said:

"The 300-unit complex, called the Exchange, will have 50 percent of its units reserved for renters making between 60 and 80 percent of the area median income (or as much as $42,750)"

This is the part that threw me. If 50% of the units are for lower-income renters, are those folks supposed to have some kind of secret signal that lets the complex know? I get what you're saying about not upsetting the other renters, but this is a bit secretive to me.

Have you looked at the application? Maybe it's in there?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I've been able to see online is that the Alliance portion of the Hardy Yards development are going to be their "Prose"  work-force friendly line of apartments. Haven't found any renditions yet.

sNIAGlt.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, hindesky said:

Yes it does. That is probably why it will be so much cheaper to build.

lklfiud.jpg

If it indeed is as bad as it looks, this is truly awful development for being so close to transit, so close to downtown, and in the year 2021. What an incredible disappointment the Hardy Yards has become. Truly a lack of leadership and vision. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Urban Monster said:

If it indeed is as bad as it looks, this is truly awful development for being so close to transit, so close to downtown, and in the year 2021. What an incredible disappointment the Hardy Yards has become. Truly a lack of leadership and vision. 

These are marketed to be work force apartments so for the developer to make money they have to do everything on the cheap. Not everything can be luxury apartments if they want lower income employees to live close to work.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Urban Monster said:

Well... We kinda called it, right? My guess...

1. The business district didn't/doesn't know what they were doing. 

2. Had some landscape architect firm draw up some layouts from some bullet point vision about what they vaguely wanted to do there. They leveraged that work to get the bones in and copy pasta'd it for a decade for promotional mats they largely got nowhere with.

3. They didn't know how to interact with the development community or get anything rolling. They didn't know how to negotiate contracts or fight for their positions. They didn't know how to hard sell anything much less use one success to snowball their vision, in arguably one of the areas with the most potential in the city given the up and coming developments and it's excellent bones. That's what makes it the most pathetic, there's a LOT of potential there to sell.

4. They sold off the work of doing '3' to some local guy one of them probably knew, instead of a capable firm, who oversold his own capabilities and then did jack all for a decade and then sold it off to someone else who didn't give a damn about the vision that then just sold it off to the first bidders willing to develop anything. They scored one good build and then failed to capitalize on even that, which is what makes me think whoever controls it now just does not care and if its still the biz district signing off wouldn't surprise me either, the way they talk about areas isn't forward thinking at all it's expanding 'mehh' to more 'mehh' (just read other articles where they talk about the near north, they give away the impression that they are a completely uninspired group).

Overall. I gotta say as disappointed as I am, I am glad they're building anything. As others here have put it any development is better than empty fields for another decade, they can always build something else but it won't be for another decade or two unless the property value just skyrockets at least this helps near north commercial prospects. But if it does flip again that'll be thanks to SWA, Midway, others like POSTHTX, and Urban genesis knowing what the hell they're doing. If Near north becomes a success story it will be because it does so despite it's leadership.

Edited by Two
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ross said:

The old rail buildings were far more cool than anything we've seen on that property so far.

I would agree but given the i45 (once it gets through court) demolishes even more of their existing hobo encampments, I guarantee that would've simply become a massive hobo village. They're already moving more and more tents to the near north main st empty commercial dev lots as of a couple weeks ago, that thing would've been positioned to be the perfect hobo shanty town, they would've been attracted to it like a magnet. So as urban exploring goes, sure it was cool but as far as development goes it wasn't going to get turned into anything but a tent town imo.

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

These are marketed to be work force apartments so for the developer to make money they have to do everything on the cheap. Not everything can be luxury apartments if they want lower income employees to live close to work.

Is your assertion that good urban design, good development = luxury? I believe a lot of architects, planners, developers, city officials, and policy makers would take issue with that. Including the 2 projects right next door - The Exchange and Hardy Yards Apartments, both of which are examples of decent workforce projects.

Edited by Urban Monster

2 minutes ago, Urban Monster said:

Is your assertion that good urban design, good development = luxury? I believe a lot of architects, planners, developers, city officials, and policy makers would take issue with that. Including the 2 projects right next door - The Exchange and Hardy Yards Apartments, both of which are examples of decent urban “affordable” projects. 

If they make the same types they built in Sawyer yards it will be nice. For sure. If it's a call back to 1980s/1990s  cypress development .. sighs...

Edited by Two

44 minutes ago, Two said:

Overall. I gotta say as disappointed as I am, I am glad they're building anything. As others here have put it any development is better than empty fields for another decade, they can always build something else but it won't be for another decade or two unless the property value just skyrockets at least this helps near north commercial prospects. But if it does flip again that'll be thanks to SWA, Midway, others like POSTHTX, and Urban genesis knowing what the hell they're doing. If Near north becomes a success story it will be because it does so despite it's leadership.

From your lips to God’s ears! I surely hope so. Although, as someone who lives nearby this development, the empty fields were actually really nice and almost like a big park. So many of us treated it as our neighborhood’s green space, which it sort of became. Crappy development is definitely going to be a net negative for the neighborhood.

34 minutes ago, Ross said:

The old rail buildings were far more cool than anything we've seen on that property so far.

Almost every day I think about those buildings. They were about as cool as anything ever built in Houston. If they hadn’t been demolished, they would surely be transformed into something cool like The Post or some really big farmers market/food hall. Instead, we have 1990’s-era Spring Cypress manifesting in their place. 

• Like 4