On 12/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, Triton said:

Yup. I've attended all of the TXDOT meetings and the city has been quite vocal about where they stand. As 19514 said, the city has been the main driving force behind a lot of the improved changes to the plan over what was originally shown by TXDOT. In fact, after more community feedback and with the city's guidance, we're about to get new schematics in the coming days. 

I’ve attended those meetings as well. This mayor has and continues to back TXDoT’s plan as it is, which is disgraceful, in my opinion, especially to black and Latino communities north of downtown. I’m thrilled we have a new crop of city council members like Letitia Plummer, though, that may actually push TXDoT to make changes that don’t just benefit those wealthier communities in and around downtown. The new schematics published by TXDoT a few weeks ago are a prime example that they are not listening to communities that they will hurt the worst. Almost no changes to the plans that will wipe out hundreds of businesses, displace more than a thousand people, and locate freeways adjacent to close to a dozen schools. All in predominantly black and Latino neighborhoods, go figure. 

On 1/2/2020 at 2:36 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Did anyone notice that some moron wrote on the Hardy Yards sign? Any way to get this fixed? 

Ugh, thanks for the notice. If they don’t fix it right away, I’d alert Rebecca Reyna with the Greater Northside Management District. They maintain those improvements. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, hindesky said:

Lots of civil dirt work going on west of the apartments, anyone know what is next?

See a page or so earlier, before the I-45 debate. It's the first of the actual Hardy Yards CV developments, a wrap apartment like the Residences.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, wilcal said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Mixed-income-housing-project-breaks-ground-near-14973901.php

Looks like another apartment called "The Exchange" will be starting soon. 

Went to investigate myself. Didn't know if it was the lot that @hindesky photographed a couple weeks ago. Indeed it is that lot.

MBGoT03.jpg

z2crcIX.jpg

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, TOMIKA! said:

Some intense soil sampling? This is a different site than the apt building construction. 

42AEE69F-4923-4095-A41C-2BE9FDD53393.jpeg

That's one of the interior lots on Burnett, isn't it? Were they digging with the excavator? Maybe they're prepping the site to use as a laydown yard for the apartment construction. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kinglyam said:

That's one of the interior lots on Burnett, isn't it? Were they digging with the excavator? Maybe they're prepping the site to use as a laydown yard for the apartment construction. 

Yes, this is the lot on Burnett between Chapman and Hardy. They dug several holes and then covered them up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TOMIKA! said:

Yes, this is the lot on Burnett between Chapman and Hardy. They dug several holes and then covered them up. 

That's too shallow for any real structural geotech, but would be a sufficient depth to check surface soil to see if it can handle heavy equipment like cranes. It's also what you'd do if you suspected petroleum contamination in the near subsurface, but since this place is a brownfields, it's been poked and prodded enough that there shouldn't be any risk of that. I don't know what other reasons there would be, unless someone found a treasure map.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Theyre digging on the other fields this morning as well. Thats almost all of them save for the one adjancent to the abandoned parking lot?with the fence around it. But walking on the field about a week ago next to the fenced off area i notice they had fresh stakes in the ground and utilities had sprayed the lines. 

Does anyone know if the rest of the sites are going to start building out/breaking ground soon or are they just early surveying phase to see whats possible? 

As for I45 thing, its a collosal waste of money but dont expect the city to put up any real fight, downtown finally gets pierce elevated a gaint noose around its neck taken off and the otherside, while getting destroyed in the nearterm, will be buried. This means much of downtown is reconnected to its surrounding - this is great for downtown. Its without a doubt part of the built in political back scratching of this project. The north side definitely gets the short end of the stick, well have to wait and see how ugly it really is and how much of the adjancent park is destroyed. But its not getting significantly changed, too much in it the city has wanted for decades now. 

• Like 5

On 1/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, Two said:

Theyre digging on the other fields this morning as well. Thats almost all of them save for the one adjancent to the abandoned parking lot?with the fence around it. But walking on the field about a week ago next to the fenced off area i notice they had fresh stakes in the ground and utilities had sprayed the lines. 

Does anyone know if the rest of the sites are going to start building out/breaking ground soon or are they just early surveying phase to see whats possible? 

As for I45 thing, its a collosal waste of money but dont expect the city to put up any real fight, downtown finally gets pierce elevated a gaint noose around its neck taken off and the otherside, while getting destroyed in the nearterm, will be buried. This means much of downtown is reconnected to its surrounding - this is great for downtown. Its without a doubt part of the built in political back scratching of this project. The north side definitely gets the short end of the stick, well have to wait and see how ugly it really is and how much of the adjancent park is destroyed. But its not getting significantly changed, too much in it the city has wanted for decades now. 

Honestly don't see what anyone is complaining about. That bend in I-10 always felt unnecessary and dangerous to me and the freeway construction is taking out nothing important or anywhere anyone is living in. Win-win as far as I can see it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Big E said:

Honestly don't see what anyone is complaining about. That bend in I-10 always felt unnecessary and dangerous to me and the freeway construction is taking out nothing important or anywhere anyone is living in. Win-win as far as I can see it.

Big E, because it's going to have a multi-lane freeway jacked up 80 or so feet in the air, right next to all this new development? Have you heard how loud those freeways are? These won't have anything to buffer the noise except summer humidity. The bend in I-10, to my knowledge, has had no impact on accidents, so I question how dangerous it is.

Two, they're probably going to start the Red Line Apartments (I think someone here called them) soon as well, so they may be needing laydown areas for both. Maybe even do a bit of site prep for the future promised mixed-use stuff. But none of us have heard anything about that part of the project getting underway.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kinglyam said:

Big E, because it's going to have a multi-lane freeway jacked up 80 or so feet in the air, right next to all this new development? Have you heard how loud those freeways are? These won't have anything to buffer the noise except summer humidity. The bend in I-10, to my knowledge, has had no impact on accidents, so I question how dangerous it is.

Two, they're probably going to start the Red Line Apartments (I think someone here called them) soon as well, so they may be needing laydown areas for both. Maybe even do a bit of site prep for the future promised mixed-use stuff. But none of us have heard anything about that part of the project getting underway.

While I'm sure a high freeway is not optimal for the apartment views, they've been talking about this freeway project for what, half a decade? Its not like anyone should be going into this blindfolded. I mean, the freeway isn't that faraway now, and the apartments are already right next to a rail yard; not sure the people living there are worried about sound. Trust me; I'm from a rail town with a large rail yard; you can hear those trains a coming at night miles away. You just get used to it and don't even notice it after awhile. And Houston already has a crap ton of apartments literally right next to the freeways. Doubt this will be any different.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 6

On 1/26/2020 at 1:40 AM, Big E said:

How about the apartments and businesses on the other side of the GRB? What would you consider important?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Big E said:

While I'm sure a high freeway is not optimal for the apartment views, they've been talking about this freeway project for what, half a decade? Its not like anyone should be going into this blindfolded. I mean, the freeway isn't that faraway now, and the apartments are already right next to a rail yard; not sure the people living there are worried about sound. Trust me; I'm from a rail town with a large rail yard; you can hear those trains a coming at night miles away. You just get used to it and don't even notice it after awhile. And Houston already has a crap ton of apartments literally right next to the freeways. Doubt this will be any different.

It's not just the apartments. The residences across Burnett that have "only" dealt with the train will now get that monstrosity cutting across their skyline view and adding noise. Why should they need to get used to it? Poor Local Group has been advertising their skyline views. Of course, those will be gone long before this boondoggle of a freeway is built, once the rest of the Hardy Yards goes up.  Also, just because you "get used to it" doesn't mean it's not there, and health studies are beginning to show evidence that noise like that can have negative health impacts (beyond hearing loss, which this won't be loud enough to cause).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

How about the apartments and businesses on the other side of the GRB? What would you consider important?

I would consider redeveloping the bayou frontage and helping downtown to be a much bigger priority, and I'm sure the city sees it the same way. It simply makes more economic sense, and going by the Downtown District's plans, that's exactly what they're thinking. Moving the Freeway north would open up that entire area to extensive redevelopment, which is the plan. The Freeway should never have come that far south to begin with, as far as I'm concerned. Now, I would have, at the least, had I-49 tunnel under the rail yards, to limit the ROW that would be needed. Ideally, I would have tunneled 49 and 10, but I understand the level of expense would probably be too much. But even above ground, I would have moved the freeway north and had it cover the yards themselves. They could build something like this development on the other side of the freeway, closer to downtown.

2 hours ago, Kinglyam said:

It's not just the apartments. The residences across Burnett that have "only" dealt with the train will now get that monstrosity cutting across their skyline view and adding noise. Why should they need to get used to it? Poor Local Group has been advertising their skyline views. Of course, those will be gone long before this boondoggle of a freeway is built, once the rest of the Hardy Yards goes up.  Also, just because you "get used to it" doesn't mean it's not there, and health studies are beginning to show evidence that noise like that can have negative health impacts (beyond hearing loss, which this won't be loud enough to cause).

Because somebody will "have to get used to it" in some fashion. The area around the freeway had to get used to its existence in its current configuration for decades. Once again, North Freeway, 1-10, and Eastex Freeway have already been there for decades, as have the rail yards themselves, and they aren't going anywhere. People have already "gotten used to" their existence long ago. The city will priority region considerations over the considerations of one neighborhood.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just saw this blurb from last week on a RealtyNews. Looks like the other one is coming pretty soon, too.

"PGIM Real Estate Finance has arranged a $48 million Freddie Mac unfunded forward commitment to provide permanent financing for Red Line Station,a planned 300-unit mixed-income apartment complex in Houston. PGIM is the commercial mortgage finance arm of PGIM Inc., the $1 trillion global investment management business of Prudential Financial, Inc. Red Line Station is in the Near Northside neighborhood. The site is part of the proposed 43-acre Hardy Yards master-planned mixed-use community."

• Like 4

On 1/26/2020 at 1:40 AM, Big E said:

It's a giant ugly eye sore in it's new ROW, basically. That sums it up. If you walk out there and actually measure out where the road will be it's going to block what is now a really awesome view and turn it into a really trashy one. That does suck. I've seen no data to support the claim that it's currently 'dangerous' (I've been to meetings wherein Txdots made the claim, but again - a salesman's concern trolling bare assertion), but I have that it's simply to cut a couple seconds off travel, and it will probably turn a big swath of nice park into the next hobo encampment, other than that  -  no, the furniture warehouse or whatever that is won't be much of a loss and the road wouldn't be all that bad except for how raised it'll be to go over main and the light rail, without a single doubt detracts from the major appeal (or what could be) of that area outside it's proximity to DT.

The new connectors to and from Near North into DT will be really nice, that's the only win for the northside. In the long-term if other projects are handled correctly, like the 140-180 million now dedicated to the north channel dig and construction, then even the top half of Jail house island could be a neat feature for the area.

Overall I think the area has a lot of promise regardless.

Edited by Two
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Yes, definitely them. Who is Alliance Residential, though?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kinglyam said:

Yes, definitely them. Who is Alliance Residential, though?

One of the biggest developers currently building mid rise apartments in the Houston area. I count 2 in the Heights, 1 in the Museum district, 1 in Eado,  2 going up in the lower Heights area around Washington Ave. Alliance Broadstone is an Aggie Alumni led company building lots of places around Houston and around the southern USA.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hindesky said:

One of the biggest developers currently building mid rise apartments in the Houston area. I count 2 in the Heights, 1 in the Museum district, 1 in Eado,  2 going up in the lower Heights area around Washington Ave. Alliance Broadstone is an Aggie Alumni led company building lots of places around Houston and around the southern USA.

Should we be concerned if their portfolio is all mid-rise apartments? Hardy Yards has been developing on the promise of mixed use. If the infill with all apartments, there will be no easy space for retail, and the development boom will likely bust hard.

• Like 3