I was wondering that myself. Looks like a retention pond going in. Apparently the owner (Kurtz Properties) got the city to sell him right-of-way for most of the streets around there back in March. The limited information on the sale ordinance says:

"Kurtz Properties, Ltd. (Kurtz Properties GP, LLC [Robert Kurtz, President], General Partner), the abutting property owner, requested the abandonment and sale of: 1) Burnett Street, from Maffitt Street east to Southern Pacific right-of-way line; 2) Semmes Street, from Burnett Street south to Southern Pacific right-of-way line; 3) Maffitt Street, from Burnett Street south to Southern Pacific right-of-way; 4) Brooks Street, from Maffitt Street east ±417 feet to Chase Street; and 5) Semmes Street, from Brooks Street north to Harrington Street, all located within the S.F. Noble’s Addition, out of the S.M. Harris Survey, Abstract 327. The applicant plans to incorporate the subject streets into the abutting tracts to expand its office space and parking areas."

It's some major areas...looks like four nearly full blocks. So I don't think we're talking his personal office space.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It means they're selling off part of Hardy Yards. "No Restrictions" means no limits on the use, so the Hardy Yards as a full development like City Center or the Woodlands is likely dead.

If we're really lucky, maybe they're just looking for investors to kick off phase 1, but I'm pretty sure CBRE doesn't facilitate those, it just sells.

Edited by Kinglyam
Update after more reading
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I think the clock tower killed any hopes of a full scale multi-use development. Best we can hope for are more wraps/townhomes and no big box/strip centers.

I can't imagine that was the culprit, being shoved to the back corner. I'd say moving I-10 into their backyard is a more probable culprit.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kinglyam said:

I can't imagine that was the culprit, being shoved to the back corner. I'd say moving I-10 into their backyard is a more probable culprit.

Because you can't have a full scale multi-use development near a freeway???  Reality suggests otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Because you can't have a full scale multi-use development near a freeway???  Reality suggests otherwise.

Depends what they had planned, and whether they thought it was cost-effective to change it. I'm currently looking out of my office from City Center directly to the Beltway, so I know that it can work if they planned on offices there. But if they planned residences there, I'm not so sure it would work.

We don't know for certain this will mean the end of mixed use, just well-integrated mixed-use. You can still get some decent development done on 10+ acres.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinglyam said:

Depends what they had planned, and whether they thought it was cost-effective to change it. I'm currently looking out of my office from City Center directly to the Beltway, so I know that it can work if they planned on offices there. But if they planned residences there, I'm not so sure it would work.

We don't know for certain this will mean the end of mixed use, just well-integrated mixed-use. You can still get some decent development done on 10+ acres.

FWIW, there are also apartments next to the Beltway in City Centre. 

Not only do we not know for certain this will mean the end of mixed use, we don't know for certain it will mean the end of well-integrated mixed use.  We really don't know anything other than that the property is being marketed.  It could end up being just about anything, including, well-integrated mixed use.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Near Northside is an up and comer, wxman.  You'll be sorry you didn't get in on the ground floor, when you had the chance.  Aside from being walking distance from the LR and just a couple stops from downtown, you'll soon have expanded and enormous St Arnold's Beer Garden, within a short walk and White Oak Music Hall/Raven Tower/Etc., just up Main. If you haven't yet been to The Edison (just about 1.5 mile or a few LR stops north) you're in for a real treat.  But, I guess if you've got the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, and all the Olive Garden breadsticks you can eat, I could see your point of view. 

However...I do agree that this development was lacking from the start, and I agree with Montrose...The Clock tower was the beginning of the problem. 

Don't forget about Walter's...

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, wxman said:

This development was a joke from the beginning. It's in the hood and frankly fairly removed from anything desirable. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live on that side of town. Then again I'm a Woodlands snob lol

By your reckoning, is "the hood" anything inside 610? I'd bet dollars to donuts Near Northside has less crime than about any area of The Woodlands. If they can address the flop houses that popped up with all the mental cases there, it's probably one of the safest places to be. The neighbors are primarily long-term working-class families that have owned the houses for generations, with younger professionals who couldn't afford the Heights taking over the abandoned properties and empty lots. There's a sense of community there that is sorely lacking in any of our suburban disaster areas, or even many of our supposedly higher-quality downtown neighborhoods.

@Triton - Could be worse things to go in there, but it's still such a waste for JUST that to go in. Though if the Washington Avenue HEB plans are any indication, they could do it right. They definitely need something other than just that old Fiesta. Hopefully it's close enough to the Katyville Walmart that we don't have to worry about another one of those showing up.

• Like 8

Near Northside is definitely going to be the next hot spot and in some ways it's already beginning as Naviguessor has pointed out.

It's the Houston market that had the fourth largest increase in home prices at a 112.1% increase from 2010 to 2016. It's not really what I would consider the hood.. just because there are many low income families here doesn't mean it's the hood. More middle class families are beginning to move in considering I now know architects, engineers (even one that works for NASA that I met here at HAIF), and many office workers that work in downtown/Galleria area/Memorial City, including myself.  I've lived here for 5 years now and the transformation has been fast. There are plenty of new homes being built left and right since many people feel priced out of the Heights and Woodland Heights area. And the big thing is that I know for a fact many people are looking to buy property in the Near Northside because they see the potential here. I myself am hoping to purchase more land on this side as well. I seriously believe N Main will be a hot destination even if the homeless situation is not figured out over at Salvation Army. I don't think it will ever be the Woodlands... in my opinion, that's a high standard, but I do very well see it becoming more like Montrose or the Heights area, but with it's own unique style and culture.

• Like 4

It's roughly a third of the total land area, but it's the third that's closest to the rail stop, and potentially creates a barrier between the rest of the development and the rail line.

It also means they can't connect Leona St all the way to Chestnut St. It's the street grid that makes this a potential extension of the neighborhood instead of East Katyville, which is what it runs the risk of becoming.

Counterpoint: If you look at this image of the Fulton St cross section, and this map of a potential future connection to San Jacinto, they may just see (potentially widened to 6 lanes) Fulton St as being too difficult to bridge, making it difficult to integrate the eastern third of the site with the rest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Angostura said:

It's roughly a third of the total land area, but it's the third that's closest to the rail stop, and potentially creates a barrier between the rest of the development and the rail line.

It also means they can't connect Leona St all the way to Chestnut St. It's the street grid that makes this a potential extension of the neighborhood instead of East Katyville, which is what it runs the risk of becoming.

If you look at how they built Leona, it looks like they never had any intention of connecting it all the way to Chestnut Street, nor completing the Fulton extension. Had they intended to do so, they would have probably built in a dead-end tee rather than the landscaped curb that is there now. The Fulton extension being nixed may (again) go back to the redo of I-45/I-10. If you see the proposed new layout of San Jacinto in the Draft EIS, they turn it farther east. That looks like it would be tough to match Fulton to the new alignment.

Not having a public street through the middle of the property increases the value of the property as pedestrian-oriented mixed use development, in my mind. The buyer would have the potential to build in perimeter parking off of Leona/Fulton for drivers, while focusing on mass-transit oriented pedestrians from the BTC and downtown/UHD. This portion is the prime development spot, and the one I figured would be the first phase developed.

12 minutes ago, Kinglyam said:

If you look at how they built Leona, it looks like they never had any intention of connecting it all the way to Chestnut Street, nor completing the Fulton extension. Had they intended to do so, they would have probably built in a dead-end tee rather than the landscaped curb that is there now. The Fulton extension being nixed may (again) go back to the redo of I-45/I-10. If you see the proposed new layout of San Jacinto in the Draft EIS, they turn it farther east. That looks like it would be tough to match Fulton to the new alignment.

Not having a public street through the middle of the property increases the value of the property as pedestrian-oriented mixed use development, in my mind. The buyer would have the potential to build in perimeter parking off of Leona/Fulton for drivers, while focusing on mass-transit oriented pedestrians from the BTC and downtown/UHD. This portion is the prime development spot, and the one I figured would be the first phase developed.

There is no reason to think the Fulton extension has been nixed.  It is still in the City's plans.  The proposed new layout of San Jacinto shown in the I45 project EIS actually makes it a good deal easier to connect with Fulton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

There is no reason to think the Fulton extension has been nixed.  It is still in the City's plans.  The proposed new layout of San Jacinto shown in the I45 project EIS actually makes it a good deal easier to connect with Fulton.

Yea you and I had discussed this before. Still find it somewhat strange that they never built at least a dead end but I suppose it isn't that difficult to just tear down a curb and extend the road. I seriously think this Fulton extension would be huge and would lead to greater connectivity to downtown. IMHO, light rail really brings traffic to a crawl right at I-10 and N Main.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/23/2017 at 0:30 PM, largeTEXAS said:

Any idea what's being built here? (This is just east of the main Hardy Yards site along Maury Street between Burnett and Leona: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1498+Maury+St,+Houston,+TX+77020/@29.7745499,-95.3507772,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8640b92ad6f2502d:0x800a1d7798380771!8m2!3d29.7740896!4d-95.3496499 

Looks like a warehouse

36886152560_ea47c3e95c_b.jpg

• Like 3