Harold's At 350 W. 19th St.

Tiko

Friend said she saw a sign out front today that said "Going out of Business. Ladies Only". Anyone know what's going on there?

It actually says "Closeout Sale", not "Going out of Business", and there are a bunch of undraped female mannequins in the display windows. My guess is they're just having a big sale on women's clothing.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Did anyone ever shop there? I was never even tempted to. Seemed like a relic.

I did. They had pretty high end clothes, so it wasn't for everyday stuff and the women's selection was a little too pricey/conservative/real housewives for my personal taste. However, I got some beautiful ties and cufflinks for my husband and brother (they both wear suits to work every day so this applies). I also got my husband a beautiful velvet blazer. Must say that he is not a flashy dresser, actually very conservative in his clothes choices, but he'll wear this blazer (it's traditionally tailored, not 3 button or Euro cut) with gray flannel pants or nice jeans around the holidays and it's a really timeless piece of clothing.

It was a bit of a relic in that they offered that old fashioned kind of customer service that mall stores just don't give a **** about providing anymore.

Did anyone ever shop there? I was never even tempted to. Seemed like a relic.

I went in there after Abe retired at Kaplans, but I was just not comfortable paying $90.00 for a dress shirt (probably more now).

The customer service was similar to what you get at "The Men's Wearhouse" so I didn't return, Plus it was totally out of my way.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/09/harolds-modern-landmark-on-19th-street-finds-buyer/

The property has been bought. Still no word on tenants. But it does look like the building will stay.

Harolds was last owned by the people who owned Norman Ditto. I thought they would do something to update Harolds and make it competitive with M Penner and other high-end clothing stores. But they didn't. The store could have caught on to the popularity Mad Men and the mid-century Mod style to try to market to younger customers. But it seemed like they were just trying to hold on to an older clientele with an old haberdashery concept. That may have worked well for fifty years, but couldn't last forever.

I wanted a suit from there, it was on sale (50% off), but it still cost 2800 bucks... I could have flown to a host of countries and had a suit custom tailored to fit me and be every bit as nice. (i could actually have done this twice). I understand premium goods come at a premium price, but holy crap that's expensive. (mind you I think 1,000 would have been totally reasonable, i'm not one of those "my $99 suits4less suit is just as good" people). I think Harold's had completely lost touch with the neighborhood.

That said, I hope to see a unique business take its place. I feel 19th street is ripe for business right now.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/09/harolds-modern-landmark-on-19th-street-finds-buyer/

Harolds was last owned by the people who owned Norman Ditto. I thought they would do something to update Harolds and make it competitive with M Penner and other high-end clothing stores. But they didn't. The store could have caught on to the popularity Mad Men and the mid-century Mod style to try to market to younger customers. But it seemed like they were just trying to hold on to an older clientele with an old haberdashery concept. That may have worked well for fifty years, but couldn't last forever.

Did you ever shop there? They carried a lot of contemporary designers. Also, they were not "owned" by Norton Ditto. They were in partnership.

I think Harold's had completely lost touch with the neighborhood.

That said, I hope to see a unique business take its place. I feel 19th street is ripe for business right now.

There were a lot of years when NONE of Harold's clients were from the Heights. They catered to doctors, lawyers, and oil men. Their clientele came from the Heights, River Oaks, West U, The Woodlands. All over the place. They were more of a destination than a neighborhood joint.

The thing to keep in mind is that they didn't close because they had no business and were going broke. Harold was about 120 years old and had been puttering around the store on an oxygen tank for at least the time I have lived in the Heights. They closed the store because, like many businesses today, the sons didn't want to run it.

Did you ever shop there? They carried a lot of contemporary designers. Also, they were not "owned" by Norton Ditto. They were in partnership.

There were a lot of years when NONE of Harold's clients were from the Heights. They catered to doctors, lawyers, and oil men. Their clientele came from the Heights, River Oaks, West U, The Woodlands. All over the place. They were more of a destination than a neighborhood joint.

The thing to keep in mind is that they didn't close because they had no business and were going broke. Harold was about 120 years old and had been puttering around the store on an oxygen tank for at least the time I have lived in the Heights. They closed the store because, like many businesses today, the sons didn't want to run it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2008/10/13/daily53.html

Technically a merger, but for all practical purposes Norton Ditto was the surviving entity and had control over Harolds. When the Michael Weisenthal decided to quit the business, Norton Ditto just let the store close. If the store was making a good profit, Norton Ditto wouldn't have given up on it. I have been to Harolds a number of times over the years. While they do carry "contemporary" designers, there is just no comparison in the look and feel of the store compared to other high end clothing stores. Everything from the fixtures to the displays was dated. The store desparately needed remodeling and updating in order to be competitive (Walk into M. Penner and then Harolds and there was no comparison). No one was interested in doing either and the store closed.

• 8 months later...

That space is bigger than one realizes.

It'll be nice to have some more windows facing 19th St.

Yeah, that place is HUGE and has ample parking. I agree about the windows. I just wish it wasn't an Austin based chain. I am not an Austin lover... but that's just me. I'll get my tacos on White Oak.

Yeah, that place is HUGE and has ample parking. I agree about the windows. I just wish it wasn't an Austin based chain. I am not an Austin lover... but that's just me. I'll get my tacos on White Oak.

And i'll get mine on 20th (Chilosos). Unless they are closed, then it will be a battle between Torchy's and Taco's A gogo.

• The title was changed to Harolds In The Heights Merges With Norton Ditto
  • The title was changed to Harold's At 350 W. 19th St.
  • 2 months later...

Houston Chronicle reports on Harold’s consolidating its two-story restaurant space. The restaurant will operate on the first floor. As for the second floor and terrace space, a new restaurant concept is leasing it.

Harold's located in the Heights at 350 W 19th St, Suite C.

Below is more from today's article:

Harold's in the Heights is shifting gears by relinquishing its second-story restaurant space known for its scenic patio.

Beginning today, Oct. 4, Harold’s will consolidate its efforts within its ground floor restaurant and bar known as the Tap Room. That space will be rebranded as Harold’s Bistro, Bar & Market

...The Harold’s terrace restaurant space will be leased to operators who are planning a new restaurant called Blue Tuba Euro-Tex Cuisine, opening in the new year...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/harold-s-heights-houston-18405787.php

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Houston Chronicle reports on Harold’s consolidating its two-story restaurant space. The restaurant will operate on the first floor. As for the second floor and terrace space, a new restaurant concept is leasing it.

Harold's located in the Heights at 350 W 19th St, Suite C.

Below is more from today's article:

Harold's in the Heights is shifting gears by relinquishing its second-story restaurant space known for its scenic patio.

Beginning today, Oct. 4, Harold’s will consolidate its efforts within its ground floor restaurant and bar known as the Tap Room. That space will be rebranded as Harold’s Bistro, Bar & Market

...The Harold’s terrace restaurant space will be leased to operators who are planning a new restaurant called Blue Tuba Euro-Tex Cuisine, opening in the new year...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/harold-s-heights-houston-18405787.php

Several permits were filed today for 350 W 19th St, Suite E:

• 1 Story Occupancy Inspection permit
  • Certificate of occupancy permit

As mentioned, Blue Tuba, a restaurant serving Euro-Tex Cuisine is opening at the location. It will occupy the 5,141-square-foot space upstairs and terrace previously occupied by Harold's. 

Harold's consolidating by moving all operations to 350 W 19th St, Suite C (first floor).

1 Story Occupancy Inspection permit

DV7mgtU.png

Certificate of Occupancy permit

icANsL0.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• 3 months later...

Harold's announced it is closing its doors this weekend after ten years. According to CultureMap, the restaurant's last day is Sunday, March 4.

The restaurant primarily served Southern fare at 350 W 19th St, Suite C.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/staple-heights-restaurant-closing-this-weekend-after-10-years-on-19th-st/

On 10/4/2023 at 9:58 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

In addition to coverage of Harold's closing its restaurant space at 350 W 19th St, Ste C, CultureMap also provides an update on Blue Tuba's opening.

Blue Tuba is an Euro-Tex restaurant taking over the second floor and terrace space previously occupied by Harold's. The restaurant was announced last fall. According to CultureMap, Blue Tuba anticipates opening in March at 350 W 19th St, Suite E.

The upstairs space is expected to reopen next month under new ownership as Blue Tuba, which is described as serving “Euro Tex cuisine.” 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/staple-heights-restaurant-closing-this-weekend-after-10-years-on-19th-st/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1