Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

Lots and lots of incandescent bulbs, with motors and brushes and contacts and miles of wire. Late 50s - early 60s technology wasn't real big on semiconductors and LEDs.

HRSpectacular1.jpg

I understand that, but "digital" clock just means any clock that doesn't tell time with "hands" and uses numerals or what have you instead.

ah... we're divided on whether "digital" describes the readout or the operating technology...  :ph34r:

I suppose that if it's the display that governs, this might be considered a digital clock:

img128.gif

;)

I'm no horologist, but I'm pretty sure your drawing would still depict an analog clock... in that the numbers are permanently affixed and a hand is used to display the time.  You should have added a light that shines through numbered cutouts and displays the time on a wall. That would definitely be perplexing as to whether or not it was a digital clock, as a sun dial is considered analog (except this one: http://www.digitalsundial.com/product.html).

ah... we're divided on whether "digital" describes the readout or the operating technology...  :ph34r:

I suppose that if it's the display that governs, this might be considered a digital clock:

img128.gif

;)

• Like 1

ah... we're divided on whether "digital" describes the readout or the operating technology... :ph34r:

img128.gif

;)

Nope, it's got a hand that points to the numbers.

Jesus, people will argue about ANYTHING on the internet. :lol:

qsX1jgW.png

The clock on top of the building is digital! Let it go!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Urbannizer, is something going up on the block east of this? Looks mighty empty. *crosses fingers*

There was a rumored possibly 11 story apartment complex going there but since the oil plunge, there has not been any news.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I think the Mikey Leeland reno was dramatic, but this one is awe-inspiring. The leeland building was functional but drab. This one turned an ugly, outdated rundown slum looking beast into a modern, classy looking building.

The ground floor looks like it is easily convertible into retail. I like inviting ground floors and this one isn't standoff-ish at all.

You still think the building is ugly tumbleweed?

I am seriously anticipating the clock being refurbished. It's been some 25 years since I've seen it in action. The building is indeed beautiful, but oh how I wait to see those bright white lights rotating and illuminating the curve on Pierce Elevated again.

Well, at least til they tear the Pierce down, lol.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I too am curious about the clock. They've brought out crane support a couple of times on this project, blocking the street temporarily to lift things into place. We've already passed the gutting/demo phase of the project and didnt they removed the old HVAC equipment already?   I would guess, that if it was going to be removed, it would have already occurred by now.  

I guess I may be oversimplifying this, but really, other than pulling out any birds nests that may have found their way into the interior of the clock, replacing the burnt out light bulbs on the face, removing the Central Square letters on the back, greasing the gears and components necessary to make it spin, and slapping a coat of paint on the whole thing, I wouldn't think restoring it would require a crane or anything that dramatic. Heck, secret squirrel was standing right next to it when he explored and documented the building. Given the angle of the pictures he submitted for viewing, a good sized ladder on top of the roof would seem efficient enough to get the job done. I mean, the thing worked right up to the very end of Central's life.

I'd think the worst case scenario would be that rust may have locked up the mechanical components necessary for it to rotate again, and perhaps a dry rotted electrical wiring harness that could be rebuilt by a certified electrician fairly efficiently.

• Like 1

I drove past yesterday - my first up close look since all exterior work was completed. The brick columns really don't 'fit' with the rest of the exterior but this renovation is a huge success overall. My compliments to those who made it happen.