Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

jeez. I wonder if it was vandalism or they put their expansion joints in wrong.

Id say vandalism, you can see the center of impact on both windows, someone one the street threw a rock or a brick at them. Assholes.

When this happens, does the building company just take the loss as "incidentals", like, this kind of thing was already covered in the budget and there are already extra windows laying around just in case?

Or is there already some kind of insurance against vandalism, theft, earthquakes, fire, flood etc, on a structure that is being worked on?

Thats a good question. I'd imagine the land owner has the insurance for this kind of thing. The contractor, if its significant enough will issue a change order (assuming a lump sump contract). The owner probably turns it over to the insurance company. If it's Time and Material, It muddies it a little bit, but I imagine insurance claim is still possible. 

Damage during construction would typically be covered by a builder's risk policy, which owners usually require GCs to carry.  I suspect that there wouldn't be a claim turned in for two panes of glass - if it even makes the deductible in the first place, it would be by such a small amount as to make it not worthwhile.  

I doubt that it was just a couple rocks thrown by some street punk, though, unless said street punk is also a pitching prospect who just has control issues.  It takes quit a bit to compromise curtain wall glass.

• Like 2

Hmmmm... Looks like they still need to tint the ones that broke. Nice progress though.

They need to replace the whole panels still. It's multi layered facade and only the outer layer cracked. They peeled most of the broken glass away but you can still see the jagged pieces around the edges.

• Like 1

As long as the clock stays, I'm good. Can't wait to see that thing lit up and rotating. The younger crowd has no idea how noticeable and bright that clock was when illuminated. Hopefully, they'll fix it so that the colon doesn't remain lit when it's showing the temperature like it did before it was shut off.

The sign on the wall never had the word "Square" that I remember. Like the clock, it said "Central Bank" originally. When it was changed, the word "bank" was removed from both, the clock got an off color labelscar with the word "Square" put in place under "Central", and the wall lost the "Bank" portion and became simply "Central"...

...not that any of that means a hill of beans, lol...

• Like 4

The sign on the wall never had the word "Square" that I remember. Like the clock, it said "Central Bank" originally. When it was changed, the word "bank" was removed from both, the clock got an off color labelscar with the word "Square" put in place under "Central", and the wall lost the "Bank" portion and became simply "Central"...

...not that any of that means a hill of beans, lol...

I drove by it today. Youre right the "sqaure" sign is different looking. Never knew that. Never noticed it before either.

Yessir, it's not quite the same font(?) as the original word Central. Worse yet, when they replaced the word "Bank" on the clock, they never bothered to paint the clock. I haven't paid attention to the back in a longtime, but it used to have a lablescar that clearly said "BANK" underneath and a little below where the current "Square" part now is affixed.

It gets better. If they ever light the clock up, as is, the Square is noticeably brighter than the Central. The time colon was stuck on all the time, regardless of whether it was displaying time or temp, and the below zero "-" next to the temp would come on when the time displayed.

That was some 25 years ago now. I can only imagine the problems the clock likely has now after all this time dormant. For all I know, it's rusted solid in place. I haven't personally seen it move in years, and it may very well not do so anymore. I don't remember even Ike moving it from the current position. The clock's face has been towards 45 all of this time. I hope against hope that the developer will go that extra mile and go all in on the restoration of the clock, but common sense tells me that it, like The Savoy sign, is a goner.

Edited auto-correct mishap.

Edited by Purpledevil
  • Like 1

It's the same way where they started removing the facade on the back side where the colorful paint splatters are.  Can't they just add bracing to some interior columns and remove the exterior bracing?

Theyve pulled off the entire facade that had "Central" Written on it. You can see a portion of the lateral system (the cross braces) for the structure are still intact. Curious if they'll still put windows there or alter the design. 

The New windows are now rather visible from I45. 

Theyve pulled off the entire facade that had "Central" Written on it. You can see a portion of the lateral system (the cross braces) for the structure are still intact. Curious if they'll still put windows there or alter the design. 

The New windows are now rather visible from I45. 

This rendering shows the windows in place without changing out the cross braces.

• Like 1

LOTS of progress has been made! This one good enough for ya?

attachicon.gif2014-10-23 17.52.00.jpg

Awesome.  Thanks, phillip_white!  This is SUCH a huge change for midtown.  Once this is finished, 800 Bell is redone, and the Days Inn magically disappears, rooftop views from midtown (and Pierce Elevated views) are going to be SO much better.  If only 2016 Main wasn't such a monstrosity...but I digress.

Great pic.