Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

Yup. Everything looked kinda rusted, right?

If the structure supporting the tiles looked "kinda rusted" then the tiles needed to come off. Each one is certainly larger than anything I would want falling on my head. I'm glad to see work progressing on this building.

Thanks for verifying what I thought was a delusion.  I've only driven by at night the last few days and wanted to be sure before posting an update.

The side with the scaffolding, theyre removing that entire wall/tiles. You can see through the building to the scaffolding from 45. 

• Like 1

That stone/square tile southern facade was the best thing about this building.  I really hate to have lost that.

Yeah, that was my favorite about this building when I was a kid and it was still a reputable-looking biz address.  It lent a type of aesthetic flair to the building that was not (and is not) common in Houston.  

• Like 1

notches are most likely anchors for the new facade

They run completely across the slab though; my first thought was some sort of raised plinth floor from which the new HVAC/IT services would be run through. I'll try to snap some pictures this afternoon from the base of the bldg.

If you look closely at the floor with the No Trespassing sign, you can see that the notches don't run across the floor and look to be a 6-12 inch square.  To me, this further confirms that they will be used to anchor the windows/facade.

They run completely across the slab though; my first thought was some sort of raised plinth floor from which the new HVAC/IT services would be run through. I'll try to snap some pictures this afternoon from the base of the bldg.

tumblr_nal7yrFe0e1rolcooo4_1280.jpg

• Like 1

yeah, Im not sure what purpose they serve. I see C-Channels, oriented along the weak axis, cantilevered in the wrong spot to the beam. I think Phillip might be right, though I'm not too sure myself. I think to add to his comment, you can see studs welded into the C-Channels. Looks like nelson studs... but I cant tell. 

• Like 1