Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

• 2 weeks later...

^ Not much external progress. They've simply taken down some of the trees on Travis. Seems to be a slow gutting process compared to the elaborate wooden shoot and the massive amounts of trash being hauled out of the Savoy Hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If this actually happens we can complain no more about what has been the ugliest building in town for at least 20 years.

Now if only someone would find a way to coax Greyhound out of its prime real estate and demo that dumpy McDonalds across from 2016 Main.

Houston needs to decide, taking a long-term view, where it wants to put its (seedy) bus station and services for homeless/battered/etc. people.  Back in the day, all of that seemed to be focused where the baseball stadium and convention center are now.  The city pushed to redevelop the area and now the center of those activities has moved a bit further south.

I agree with the idea that continuing to keep those facilities in the middle of things downtown puts a bit of a damper redeveloping the area to attract more people.  In the past, I've heard people argue that the bus and charity facilities need to be close to the nexus for bus lines.  But ... bus lines can be adjusted fairly easily and I'm not convinced that they are key factor, anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

Houston needs to decide, taking a long-term view, where it wants to put its (seedy) bus station and services for homeless/battered/etc. people.  Back in the day, all of that seemed to be focused where the baseball stadium and convention center are now.  The city pushed to redevelop the area and now the center of those activities has moved a bit further south.

I agree with the idea that continuing to keep those facilities in the middle of things downtown puts a bit of a damper redeveloping the area to attract more people.  In the past, I've heard people argue that the bus and charity facilities need to be close to the nexus for bus lines.  But ... bus lines can be adjusted fairly easily and I'm not convinced that they are key factor, anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

I always thought they should put these places out east near the ship channel. Lots of industrial w/ little to no residents to disturb. Easy access in and out for buses/transit. Almost everything is already fenced to keep people out, so you can make a well-controlled area with better security for everyone.