Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone.

My name is Seth and this is my first post. I found this forum while doing some research on a building I have been driving by for years. The old central bank building. The clock is what facinates me. Old buildings and architecture really draws my interest.

I would love to see someone retain our history and remoldel this place. If not, atleast relocate and activate the clock. Its really hard not to let my curiosity get the best of me and trespass. So i will live through everyone that does on this site.

• 2 weeks later...

I got excited but seeing the lack of a response probably means this is the longest of long shots. I agree with one of the comments on swamplot - until the Greyhound Station is moved - nothing will happen to Central Square.

Yesterday I was driving down Grey came up to the light at Main. A lunatic man came up to my hood and dumped a bag of McDonalds trash on my hood and screamed at himself/me?. There was a constable right by the High Rise he threw his hands up and I drove East. Strange people all the time around that Gas Station/McDonalds/Greyhound station.

Could you imagine watching the goings on from high up on 2016 Main - it would be better than reality TV.

Could you imagine watching the goings on from high up on 2016 Main - it would be better than reality TV.

My friend used to live in 2106 facing Greyhound and she said it was always entertaining. She lived near the top and it was still noisy from the station, but the people watching was so much fun. She said that at night you could hear screams coming from the Central Square building. BTW, that side of 2106 facing south has one of the coolest views of the city (no Downtown, but Med Center over to Galleria is really cool).

Greyhound is not going anywhere. It's funny how no one seems to mind them, but everyone goes rabid at the thought of them being relocated to their area.

Some time ago Midtown ponied up $20k for an intermodal study that ultimately got high jacked by Metro. There were grand plans for Near-Northside intermodal facility, but nothing ever materialized besides Metro spending the money. When I last asked about it I was told there would be nothing before 2017, which pretty much made my decision to cash-out for me.

as midtown continues to ascend there will be more and more pressure for greyhound to clean up the terminal. I don't see them going anywhere, virtually every big city has got a terminal in the core. it is better than it used to be, I mean, how long has it been since someone's been shot in the mc donalds across the street?

Greyhound has never really felt the heat from the community on their Houston location. The closest they got to it was when this Dallas-based company was confronted about the policy of dumping Huntsville TDC parolees into Midtown on a weekly basis.

The parolees would come to Houston first and then were supposed to catch a bus to their final destinations. So if they were returning to Dallas, they would first arrive in Houston, then go to Dallas. The problem was that people would hang out here for a few days before catching their next bus and HPD at the time testified that their was a noticeable spike in Midtown crime after the Wednesday drop-offs. After some pressure from the 2016 Main folks, the parolees were met by TDC or some other gov entity and routed to their proper bus. At some point this stopped when they figured the public stopped caring. Greyhound always does the bare minimum until forced to clean things up. Maybe it's again time to ask them to bring more to the table.

I used to ride Amtrak in Illinois in college and would get on at the same small town station as the newly freed inmates. They would get off bus with guards with rifles then get on train with me sans guards wearing all white; we'd hit the drink car together and every time they would roam the cars borrowing people's phones screaming I'm out come pick me up!!!Fun times

I used to ride Amtrak in Illinois in college and would get on at the same small town station as the newly freed inmates. They would get off bus with guards with rifles then get on train with me sans guards wearing all white; we'd hit the drink car together and every time they would roam the cars borrowing people's phones screaming I'm out come pick me up!!!Fun times

lol, now there's an idea, get the greyhound terminal moved to the amtrak station. it's better for connections, and it's closer to the police station.

• 1 month later...

Secret Squirrel is my hero for posting these.  Back in the day I was able to get into the old abandoned Texas State and Sheraton Hotels.  I need to dig up the pictures.

Please do - and I'd be more than happy to host them for you!  :)

• 4 weeks later...

http://swamplot.com/new-owners-of-central-square-plaza-want-to-make-something-of-it/2013-04-25/#more-60513

good news

Central Square Plaza has been sold, and new owner Keeley Megarity, whose LLC closed on the 1-acre Midtown property at 2100 Travis St. about a week ago, says that a decision about how to renovate these buildings and what to renovate them into — will be made in the next 30-45 days.

Moderator, we should merge this and the"Central Square Plaza" thread.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24088-central-square-plaza/#entry375551 

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 4

YES!! I want this building to continue to be part of our city. That's great to hear. I can't wait for the day when you can see light coming from those windows again. Maybe even see that clock on roof light up again.  

Edited by djrage

http://swamplot.com/new-owners-of-central-square-plaza-want-to-make-something-of-it/2013-04-25/#more-60513

good news

Central Square Plaza has been sold, and new owner Keeley Megarity, whose LLC closed on the 1-acre Midtown property at 2100 Travis St. about a week ago, says that a decision about how to renovate these buildings and what to renovate them into — will be made in the next 30-45 days.

Moderator, we should merge this and the"Central Square Plaza" thread.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24088-central-square-plaza/#entry375551 

Done, but I would leave it in Crater Houston Alliance until something is announced.

• Like 1

Yes, kudos to SecretSquirrel for the pics. 

As one who also has an interest in the Holiday / Days / Heaven on Earth Inn, it's fun to see the view of it from the rooftop running track.  When the inn's construction was announced, the developers claimed it would be the tallest Holiday Inn on earth (we were so proud ;-).  It was disappointing to see how it looked upon completion.  In the pic, notice how the facade is dominated by curtains ... an ever-changing checkerboard of open-closed-open-closed ...

One other observation.  In the 70s (or was it late 60s?), National Geographic had a feature story entitled "Houston, Prairie Dynamo".  It included a photo of a gaudy President's & First Lady Club pool area surrounded by classical statues.  I didn't know it was taken in this building, so that's fun to know.  Also interesting to see that some of the gym equipment is still there!

In those years, I always thought this building was out-of-the-ordinary and interesting.  The odd angular footprint, the colored sandstone (I think) panels on the facade, and the palms at the street level were a nice contrast to other buildings in the area.

Thanks to lockmat for posting that article in the "Richmond @ Kirby" thread. There was also a tid bit about Keeley Megarity purchasing the abandoned Central Square Plaza in Midtown:

A long-abandoned office building where downtown and Midtown meet has been sold to a local real estate investor who plans to restore the neglected property.

The 14-story building, Central Square Plaza at 2100 Travis, was built more than 50 years ago and has been vacant for about 13 years, the new owner said.

Over time, the property was plagued by thieves, drug addicts and graffiti, receiving multiple citations from the city.

Central Square Plaza, built more than 50 years ago, was developed by oil tycoon Glenn McCarthy.

"Structurally it's in fantastic shape, but as far as the interior, it's like the 1970s in there," said Keeley Megarity, who purchased the building from an entity controlled by Alfred Antonini. "It looks like people just walked away from their desks 15 years ago and never came back."

The nearly 300,000-square-foot building was developed by oil tycoon Glenn McCarthy, who also built the city's famous Shamrock hotel, which was torn down in the late 1980s and the property taken over by the Texas Medical Center.

Megarity said he's going to put in all new glass, "gut it, take it down to its shell and completely redo it." But he's not sure if he'll convert it to a residential or commercial building.

"We've already started cleaning the building," he said. "Hopefully we'll start on renovations in the next 30 or 60 days."

Herb Shapiro and Bob Heard of Herbert Shapiro & Associates represented the buyer and seller. The purchase price was not disclosed.

premium_article_portrait.jpg

The section of the text was midway in the article.

What do ya'll think? He can't decided whether he wants it to be commercial or residential? I say, why not both!

• Like 2

I noticed them taking down the for sale sign the othe day. This is great news! I also noticed that it has balconies. Could make a decent residential project and that's kind of what I'm hoping for. More residential near downtown is always a good thing.