Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

Now if only someone would find a way to coax Greyhound out of its prime real estate and demo that dumpy McDonalds across from 2016 Main.

That McDonalds exterior is being renovated to the new boxy, rough faced CMU look. It's not going anywhere soon.

The bus station is optimally located next to the rail line and the downtown transit station. Anywhere's else would be a burden on the people who use these services.

The area is perfectly fine in it's current trajectory.

The bus station needs to be centrally located, not out in Magnolia Park.

Maybe out on Harrisburg along the new light rail. Maybe.

But honestly, I think the existing station just needs to be cleaned up or replaced on site, and given better security. Its location makes sense.

No thanks! Eastwood and maybe EaDo would fight that idea off tooth and nail. Besides, the East End already has enough of Houston's "undesirable" type places. Concentrating all them in one place would not be a good idea as suggested by another commenter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've done demolition, and there is no such thing as a "slow demo." When we did demo on the Old Harris County Courthouse, the process too an entire year. Mostly because of the slow process of asbestos abatement. Any other problems we encountered revolved around massive old piping that needed to be welded off and carried slowly down the building floor by floor. Much like what they are doing with these water towers. This also doesn't include any walls that are being knocked out as part of the redevelopment, and what kind of materials such as piping, concrete, etc these walls contain that is slowing the process. So whatever the speed. there are certain precautions these guys have to take by the city and their company, I mean this building hasn't been touched in how long? 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

This is just amazing, ever since i was little, i always wondered what that beautiful building was, and finally today i search for it. I spent a good amount of time reading this thread and going though all those pictures. Like most, the clock is what got my attention. I am very, very grateful that the new owner took the initiative and started something awesome with this. I do believe once this whole thing is done and over with, all of us will look back and think about how cool and interesting the building was before this happened. It funny that the new generation will see this building and say it's a new one and will never know that it was some random old building.

• Like 3

^Looks like it; the same crew that's been doing the clean up has been in that bldg too. It also looks like they set up these perimeter fences on the north and eastern sides of the block so that they can punch out windows without having to worry about pedestrians below. Here (in the pic above) they fenced the entire north sidewalk except where the parking meter is located.

Theyre gonna demolish that small building for a parking plaza

Curb cuts looking pretty tricky for that teaser lot. That site is ~3' above street grade on the north. 

Pretty radical how they are showing a replacement of the exterior structural masonry with steel and glass curtain wall. Sky window cut in the addition's masonry is great bldg advertisement from the freeway (in addition tp the digital clock). Hope the mish-mash of times and styles works, I gotta look at this thing everyday.

+1 semi-public fountain for the list.

Edited by infinite_jim
  • Like 1

So we have the Savoy, the old Central Bank, the Texaco building, and the new JW Marriott... I NEVER would have imagined all of these buildings being revitalized all at once... And then you include the new contruction in progress, this is leaving me speechless to say the least

Edited by j_cuevas713

So we have the Savoy, the old Central Bank, the Texaco building, and the new JW Marriott... I NEVER would have imagined all of these buildings being revitalized all at once... And then you include the new contruction in progress, this is leaving me speechless to say the least

Now if only Days Inn was next....

• 2 weeks later...