Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

I would prefer mixed-use. Residential on top... retail on the bottom since there was clearly retail there to begin with such as the Kwik Kopy sign that is still there. 

By the way, if the moderators want to move this to the Midtown topic area, that's fine. This isn't exactly "going up" since it's been there for 50 years.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/sarnoff/article/Buildings-new-skin-aims-for-sleek-look-4487900.php

The 14-story building, Central Square Plaza at 2100 Travis, was built more than 50 years ago and has been vacant for about 13 years, the new owner said.

Over time, the property was plagued by thieves, drug addicts and graffiti, receiving multiple citations from the city.

premium_article_portrait.jpg

Central Square Plaza, built more than 50 years ago, was developed by oil tycoon Glenn McCarthy.

"Structurally it's in fantastic shape, but as far as the interior, it's like the 1970s in there," said Keeley Megarity, who purchased the building from an entity controlled by Alfred Antonini. "It looks like people just walked away from their desks 15 years ago and never came back."

The nearly 300,000-square-foot building was developed by oil tycoon Glenn McCarthy, who also built the city's famous Shamrock hotel, which was torn down in the late 1980s and the property taken over by the Texas Medical Center.

Megarity said he's going to put in all new glass, "gut it, take it down to its shell and completely redo it." But he's not sure if he'll convert it to a residential or commercial building.

"We've already started cleaning the building," he said. "Hopefully we'll start on renovations in the next 30 or 60 days."

Herb Shapiro and Bob Heard of Herbert Shapiro & Associates represented the buyer and seller. The purchase price was not disclosed.

That was fast! 30 to 60 days?!

I drove by yesterday and there were crews working in it. I was in shock considering I lived in MIdtown for five years and this place is finally getting renovated AFTER I move out. This building was always one of those places I hoped would be fixed up... I'm so glad to see that happening instead of a wrecking ball.

Honestly not trying to be rude to anyone but I'm not quite sure why the same Houston Chronicle article I posted on just the next page over is being posted again.

Anyway, 30 to 60 days? Try now!

Qn8iuiu.jpg

Crews are gutting the building.

iIO9mGL.jpg

M7xpSTt.jpg

• Like 7

Honestly not trying to be rude to anyone but I'm not quite sure why the same Houston Chronicle article I posted on just the next page over is being posted again.

My bad. Not sure how I missed your post. I guess I went to the latest page and didn't realize the previous had new posts too. party foul I guess

• Like 1

Anyway, 30 to 60 days? Try now!

Crews are gutting the building.

iIO9mGL.jpg

M7xpSTt.jpg

I hope the new design incorporates the existing barbed wire.  I really enjoy that Eastern Europe/Cold War era brutalist look.  Not enough of it here in town IMO.

I hope the new design incorporates the existing barbed wire. I really enjoy that Eastern Europe/Cold War era brutalist look. Not enough of it here in town IMO.

Ditto. It looks like it belongs in a Front 242 video. Somebody get them on the Telex, maybe they can play a tribute show.

fronbt_1354702475.jpg

Edited by TGM
  • Like 1

I hope the new design incorporates the existing barbed wire.  I really enjoy that Eastern Europe/Cold War era brutalist look.  Not enough of it here in town IMO.

I know you are a Tech fan, but if you can stand it, take a drive up to A&M. They have an entire campus of Soviet bloc architecture up there, including a football stadium.

I know you are a Tech fan, but if you can stand it, take a drive up to A&M. They have an entire campus of Soviet bloc architecture up there, including a football stadium.

Oh trust me, I know.  Seen it with my own eyes.  I just didn't want to start some "my school/your school" crud on a thread incredible enough to showcase the pinnacle of Houston post World War II architecture.  

Does anyone know if this will soon be a re-dev? I drive by daily and see people doing general maintenance on it. They also have a trailer under the parking garage and were draining water onto Travis St. on Monday.

old docs i found online from 2006 below..

I like how they mention that the Greyhound station will soon be relocated. Yeah right!

Central-Square-Flyer (1).doc

Not much has changed... still gutting it out. I've noticed a lot of boarded up areas are now open. They've removed little things here and there all over the place. 

wkQ9jpI.jpg

xiERYc2.jpg

Hopefully my photos don't get too redundant. :S I'll see if I can get other angles of the building to show some of the things they've removed on the outside.

• Like 2

It's great that Central Plaza will get a new lease on life, but I hate that all of these relics that have been inside as well as the interior of the building serving as a kind of time capsule will all end up in a landfill somewhere

I want one of these (not as portable, though!)

csq008.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone know if this will soon be a re-dev? I drive by daily and see people doing general maintenance on it. They also have a trailer under the parking garage and were draining water onto Travis St. on Monday.

old docs i found online from 2006 below..

I like how they mention that the Greyhound station will soon be relocated. Yeah right!

a small blurb that caught my eye in today's business section---

re: Bus station's location

Inviting other issues during the question-and-answer portion of her talk, Parker was asked if the Greyhound bus station would ever move from 2121 Main.

She said the possibility is high on the agenda of Andy Icken, the city's chief development officer. But she acknowledged that finding a new place for the station would be a "NIMBY issue," referring to the "Not in my backyard" argument.

"You have to site it in an area where it won't cause pitchforks and burning tar to come from the neighborhood," she said. "And it has to be somewhere where it's accessible to the bus system."

She said the city is "actively participating in discussions on what alternative sites could be

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Narrowing-the-distance-between-street-tunnel-4516479.php