Central Square At 2100 Travis St.

WestGrayGuy

Yep that's it! At least that's pretty much what it looked like when I drove by

Yea, that's exactly it. It's a nice touch. Looks like they're going to completely change the bottom two floors and make them larger lobbies...

I hope this happens, but I am disappointed to not see the clock tower in the modernized building. I always pictured that as a focal point that should be played up.

I'm guessing there was not much as a peep from the new architects regarding the saving of the clock. While a cool feature it's not consistent with their "modernization" of the building. With cellphones no one really needs a giant device telling them the time and temperature.

Maybe they could place it on top of the Greyhound station to give out the number of parolees on each bus, or the current price of crack. ;-)

If I am a developer proposing an office project on the South Side of the Pierce Elevated, I'd be looking for ways to stand out from the competition to better position the space. Having a unique feature that sets the property apart would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

Help me out other "chronologically enhanced" HAIF'ers; which building had the "weather ball" on top? Was it the old Continental Oil Company building?

I vaguely remember a spherical element that was lit up in different colors to indicate changes in the weather. It was probably tied to barometric pressure readings and whether those were rising or falling. True that a smart phone can give that information including RADAR but a quick glance on top of a tall building is faster and safer when driving on the Pierce Elevated even if not as detailed.

Help me out other "chronologically enhanced" HAIF'ers; which building had the "weather ball" on top? Was it the old Continental Oil Company building?

I vaguely remember a spherical element that was lit up in different colors to indicate changes in the weather. It was probably tied to barometric pressure readings and whether those were rising or falling. True that a smart phone can give that information including RADAR but a quick glance on top of a tall building is faster and safer when driving on the Pierce Elevated even if not as detailed.

It was Central Bank.  There was also a nightclub up there on the top floor (from what I remember reading).

This would be 1300 Main Street or Travis Tower. According to Emporis "The originial design of the building once had corporate signage for Conoco, including a "Weatherball" of colored light that would change to inform people of weather conditions."

This would be 1300 Main Street or Travis Tower. According to Emporis "The originial design of the building once had corporate signage for Conoco, including a "Weatherball" of colored light that would change to inform people of weather conditions."

So it was the old Continental Oil Co. (Conoco) building. My memory is not as bad as I feared. Thanks, intencity.

I want one of these (not as portable, though!)

csq008.jpg

It's great that Central Plaza will get a new lease on life, but I hate that all of these relics that have been inside as well as the interior of the building serving as a kind of time capsule will all end up in a landfill somewhere

I agree. It's almost like the past is being held right up on these floors. With all the new rennovations, they're just going to be thrown out the window.

Maybe they should open up a museum with a few floors dedicated to the each decade. One for the 60s, 70s, and so on. Name it:  PAST PRESENT, and FUTURE right around the block to highlight these historic gems.

• 2 weeks later...

Okaaay, now I'm really impressed. Has anyone seen the rendering for the other side of the Central Bank building? It's showing off some really nice retail area. It's clearly something new because I've never seen it before. I was riding my bike at midnight and wasn't able to get a picture but I'll get it next time I ride through unless someone else snags a pic. It's at the corner of Milam and Gray. You can't miss it.. it's a big rendering.

Edit: To clarify, it's a poster board. It's nothing I've seen online.

Edited by Triton

as I drove by yesterday, I saw a newish rendering of a new facade for the CBB that looks something like the new facade of the Mickey Leland building

Yea that other poster has already been there. Kinda wish the developers would take down this other one that I just posted...

Okaaay, now I'm really impressed. Has anyone seen the rendering for the other side of the Central Bank building? It's showing off some really nice retail area. It's clearly something new because I've never seen it before. I was riding my bike at midnight and wasn't able to get a picture but I'll get it next time I ride through unless someone else snags a pic. It's at the corner of Milam and Gray. You can't miss it.. it's a big rendering.

Edit: To clarify, it's a poster board. It's nothing I've seen online.

If this is the rendering I'm thinking of, it's been there for a really long time, and was just a rendering of 'what could be' with the for sale sign under it.

gRK2z4v.jpg?1

I tried to get a better photo but it started to pour down rain.

Not only is this rendering very old.  It is not for (or on) the Central Bank Building property.  As mentioned, this is on the corner of Milam and Gray -- a small one story building that is not part of the Central Bank Building property.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Not only is this rendering very old.  It is not for (or on) the Central Bank Building property.  As mentioned, this is on the corner of Milam and Gray -- a small one story building that is not part of the Central Bank Building property.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.