GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

On 12/29/2016 at 11:51 AM, UtterlyUrban said:

Personally, I would want RETAIL in this RETAIL spot.  We have lots of blocks around town to develop for clubs or other resi high rises.   To my eye, I would think it great if something like a J. Crew or Banana Republic or GAP or something like that came into that space.

Agreed that retail in this spot would be ideal.  Even better than GAP and the like would be something unique to Houston and unique IN Houston, so that it is attractive to visitors from out of town and metro area residents.  That may be asking too much...

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Personally, I would want RETAIL in this RETAIL spot.  We have lots of blocks around town to develop for clubs or other resi high rises.   To my eye, I would think it great if something like a J. Crew or Banana Republic or GAP or something like that came into that space.

I want a banana republic to occupy a large spot, and then a small independent smoothie vendor opens across from it and specializes in banana smoothies

• Like 3

When you build a large portion of your economy around fashion and the markets, banking, finance, and throw in a little oil, you have a much better chance of getting high end retail stores. It doesn't hurt that Neiman Marcus is a home town store and people like Nasher developed high end shopping centers in the early sixties full of sculpture.  Houston is an oil and industrial city. Were known for our rodeo and roughnecks. Were a whole different kind of city. We didn't become known for the arts until the Menil came along. We just  started getting known for our great food scene, and our performing arts are on a high level.  i wish we had more of the high end retail and especially downtown, but until just last year we weren't even a market for the ROD stores. Don't get me wrong I've lived here all my life and I don't think you can find a better mix of culture, food, the arts and education, but Dallas has always been light years ahead of Houston when it comes to planning, urban renewal, repurposing of old buildings and a knack for thinking in the future. They seem to be driven to do things on a monumental scale.

We are finally making strides in developing downtown, and the effort made to upgrade our parks by encompassing the bayous into the park system has proved to be a real game changer, but it's going to take time and a lot more people living downtown. It also doesn't help that so much has happened in our second city center Galleria Uptown area. it will happen but its going to take some time. Right now we should be hoping for a Target, a grocery store, a Gap, maybe a sporting goods store and hope that people buy things from them and prove that retail can work downtown again.  If we do others will follow but if people stay away it won't.

Just remember ten years ago people didn't think downtown would ever be a place to live and now there are over 12,000 residential units coming on board this year. If nothing else it should be very exciting to watch the incubator, and see what hatches.

• Like 4

The good news is Houston's downtown retail scene is bound to get better, mostly because it can't get much worse. I've often been bemused by Downtown's lack of retail. As someone who has worked downtown on and off for over 10 years I would love to see some options for shopping during my lunch hour. The rapid infusion of residential and hotels should help, but after a number of large developments have been completed there still isn't even rumblings of new retail on the way.

One segment that could do well downtown with all the new residential developments coming online would be home decor. Crate and Barrell as well as kitchen ware stores like Sur La Table could possibly thrive.

• Like 1

http://www.downtowntirz.com/downtownhouston/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/11082016-Signed-DRA-Minutes-FINAL.pdf

Following discussion, upon a motion made by director Sabino and seconded by director Harrison, the board voted to unanimously to approve the execution of an amendment to extend the submission deadline for the project's yearly "Opening Date" to August 18th, 2017, contingent upon the condition that both levels of the former Books-A-Million space be occupied by soft good retailers after the Super Bowl Host Committee vacates the space.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, wxman said:

This building is a total disappointment from the original renderings. Blah. Moving on...

Even more disappointing is that it doesn't even live up to the revised renderings much less the original ones.  I think 75% of my displeasure is with that tired ass beige color.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Even more disappointing is that it doesn't even live up to the revised renderings much less the original ones.  I think 75% of my displeasure is with that tired ass beige color.

What the betting line on the time table before this things fails as a hotel before finally bring converted to residential?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, swtsig said:

i still can't figure out why they aren't trying to activate the actual streetside retail.

^^^ imo, it seems that MIDWAY'S new property developer LION is trying to concentrate solely upon the smallest of exterior cosmetic details (painting of the escalators etc.) until the HOTEL is hereby completed.  once ALESSANDRA is completed, i am thinking that their focus shall become primarily around marketing the hotel/office space along with much better soft goods via higher end retail.  i have stated it once, and i shall state if again "HOTEL ALESSANDRA shall indeed act as the true catalyst for growth at GREENSTREET.  this new and brilliant hospitality segment is just what this property needed all along.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elseed said:

Would be cool if they actually had some real signage on the exterior of Greenstreet. Instead of it just looking like a giant grey box.  I really dont understand what the previous owners or new ones are thinking.

The current owners are thinking about planting grass that turns to weeds.  Adding an "astro turf lawn" for the sake of nature, and painting flowers on stairs.  Unfortunately, they seemingly have yet to find a large tenant for the property to go into the ex-bookstore.  Hopefully the hotel works better than the rest of it.  

Remember the renderings when midway bought the place?  I defy you to look at those and what is there now and see much comparison.

• Like 3