Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

No.

I just spoke with Marlon about this recently, he said they (The Midtown Redevelopment Authority) are building the underground garage, which will take about a year, then shortly after that Camden will begin construction of the apartments.

You can call him and ask yourself.

713-526-7577

The sign posted at the construction site makes it look like Camden is indeed building the parking garage.

a0kmcbA.jpg

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/05/01/amid-low-oil-prices-camden-puts-brakes-on-houston.html?r=full

Camden has deliberately slowed work on Camden McGowen Station in hopes that construction costs will come down, Campo said. Camden plans to begin vertical construction on the apartment this fall, he said.

Edited by tigereye

What Campo needs I think is to have the leasing activity of a boom and the construction costs of a bust. That is his magic formula. I doubt he would be building this at all if it weren't for his Latin wife screaming at him every evening, "If you do not start on this edificio, you are not a man!"

Okay, I made the last part up.

• Like 3

What Campo needs I think is to have the leasing activity of a boom and the construction costs of a bust. That is his magic formula.

Unfortunately I think you're right in assuming Campo has extremely unrealistic expectations..

And yeah, what jcuervez(?) asked.. Will the park at least be moving forward?

Edited by cloud713

So the park itself? What happens there? Is the park moving foward just not the apartments?

The read I get on things is unlike Camden Conte, McGowen Station Apartments will move forward. The delay is obviously to allow for the garage to be built first, then the apartment building atop, a la Block 334.

As for the Park, IIRC that's a Midtown Management District project (not Camden's) that is happening in conjunction with the apartments on the site.

Yeah it's def not Camden doing the park. So if the apartments don't move forward after the garage is built, the park won't move forward either??

Not certain where everyone is getting the vibe of the apartments aren't moving forward. Campo himself is saying vertical construction on the apartment building will begin this fall. The garage is the foundation for the apartment building and has to be constructed first.

no. Campo said he HOPED to start vertical construction this fall. assuming construction costs come down..

and last i checked the underground garage a public amenity for the park, not just for Camden...

I get that the article says he's deliberately slowed McGowen Station's construction but I take this is also speaking in past tense. IIRC, McGowen Station site work including garage was supposed to start last December. Construction has already been delayed, even on the garage.

As for the garage, it's an amenity large enough to hand both park and apartment capacity. The mere fact that it's under construction to me means the apartments will happen at some point

well yeah, I'm not doubting Campo will eventually build the apartments, he's had the land for how many years? its just a matter of if he just pissed away another perfectly good opportunity to build it and we have to wait for however many more years until something happens at this prime site in the middle of midtown... hopefully not, but his track record as of late hasn't been very good..

i agree, it shouldn't take anywhere near 2 years to build. but i doubt they will have the garage portion completed in 3-4 months. it took forever to build the garage for Block 334, and Broadstone Skyline(?) has been a big hole for quite some time now too.. and those are only 1 block sites. the superblock is 4 times the size (not sure if the garage is going the full length though?), so i don't see how Campo could start construction this fall.

• Like 1

No one in their right mind thinks it would take 2 years for a garage...this is clearly a permit for the garage and apartments. It's easier to apply for the permit and then go back and revise t to add things later...

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

i agree, it shouldn't take anywhere near 2 years to build. but i doubt they will have the garage portion completed in 3-4 months. it took forever to build the garage for Block 334, and Broadstone Skyline(?) has been a big hole for quite some time now too.. and those are only 1 block sites. the superblock is 4 times the size (not sure if the garage is going the full length though?), so i don't see how Campo could start construction this fall.

That's not fair to compare this to Block 334...c'mon that's like the biggest extreme of an exception :lol:

I'm saying that it's possible to say this project will take 2 years on a permit, then revise it later on when the market is right (which it looks like it will be soon) to revise the permit. Besides, this is only a Construction Eco permit, which is basically saying they won't spill contaminants into the water supply while construction is ongoing. It's not a very "important" permit in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1