Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

They are going to announce the cancelation of this project.

Ric Campo recently said he fails to see the viability of this project in this economy and feels the lot would be better suited (read more profitable) as the largest paid parking lot in midtown, because of its central location.

Demo permitting is currently under way to tear down the old Escobar/thien an strip center, then they will begin paving the entire super block.

You have to be joking right? LOL

lol well hopefully that is not the case..I have no idea and not in the know whatsoever, but it seems almost impossible to believe for any number of reasons (incl $).. ..and if Campo made this statement it seems it would have been reported by someone here or elsewhere in media previously being that Camden is a public company...but we'll see lol

Ric Campo recently said he fails to see the viability of this project in this economy and feels the lot would be better suited (read more profitable) as the largest paid parking lot in midtown, because of its central location.

Demo permitting is currently under way to tear down the old Escobar/thien an strip center, then they will begin paving the entire super block.

I wish.

The reason for the meeting from what I understand is that they are seeking tax breaks from the midtown tirz for potential parking rental profits.

umm.. what?

I don't see the park being cancelled as half of the land is owned by the MRA, and the land swap was contingent on building a park.  If he is planning to build a parking lot, this is a major conflict of interest with his position on the Super Bowl Bid Committee.

I just called the MRA office to see if they could provide details, but they were already in the board room at that point.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/

See meeting agenda for 11/12/14.

Some items of interest:

Approving a waiver and release of a restriction on a certain tract of land located at 3300 Main Street in the Main Street Addition Subdivision, Houston, Harris County, Texas

The Administration recommends approval of the FY15 Operating Budget for Midtown Redevelopment Authority (the Authority) and the FY15 - FY19 CIP Budget for Reinvestment Zone Number Two (the Zone). The FY15 - FY19 CIP totals $93,992,215, and includes provisions for the design and construction of the
Midtown Superblock Park, Superblock Parking Garage, Southeast neighborhood street reconstruction and Main Street enhancements.

• Like 7

I thought Camden was developing half of the superblock and letting the other half become a park. Did I miss something or is Camden still 

developing the southern half of the block?

They are developing most of the southern half with Midtown building a small linear park and restaurant space at the most southern end of that block.

On the northern half will be a larger park developed by Midtown.

From ze planning agenda draft:

Looks like we need a bit of a refresh :P If anyone has access to the latest and greatest renderings and siteplan that would be awesome.

EDIT: Derp images didn't follow -.- I'll fix this later....

Edited by Luminare

• 3 weeks later...