River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

looking for movies next week since my cousin has has bday free ticket, and they don't have any showings after 1/7 other than:

13 Hours:The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi

Anyone heard any further info on the supposed attempted blacklist of iPic in Hollywood from the big chains?

because of everything going on, they are only able to announce movies every tuesday for that week...usually at 9pm they said. 

I concur. Are most of the dining places opening in the spring? Is there any other type of entertainment aspect for this development besides movies, dining, bars and a gym? I would have liked an upscale cigar venue here.

It seems to me (and I'd love to hear others' impressions) that the construction on all these restaurants (except the Viet place, La Colonial, and perhaps the steak house) is proceeding at a snail's pace, ie most might be lucky to open by the end of Summer.  Am I imagining this?  Most of them will be located in that stand-alone 2 story building in the middle of the District, fronting on on Bettis Street.

Wow!  When I checked out this newly announced restaurant's website, I notice two things (neither of which I like):I can't stand "fusion" food (Mexican / Asian?) restaurants, and I've tried a bunch as the kids have been opening them right and left for the past decade.  Unfortunately I always experience them as excuses for 'I'm a jack of all trades, and master of none" when it comes to all the great food traditions/cuisines of the world; and, secondly NO prices posted on their menus.   

I wish them success, but either of these are for me a 'strike 3...you are out.'  I say this considering the dozens and dozens of great restaurants within 5 miles of this location that don't have these situations.

I hear the gym is average age 26, and definitely a place to be seen, to pose, and get frustrated by plumbing that still doesn't work properly.  Wow!  And all for 1000% more in monthly dues than 24 Hour Fitness' national chain. 

keep-calm-and-be-world-class-8.png

^^^ houston is indeed a world class city.  i would like to think that most if not all of our HAIF stalwarts are highly abreast of the overall high-end concepts of RIVER OAKS DISTRICT.

however, many of us tend to become very impatient when things are not accomplished within a more expedient timeframe.

please learn to have faith HAIF, we are going to experience plenty of high-end fun this year...

• Like 1

Exactly, those familiar with shopping in Beverly Hills readily understand and appreciate River Oaks District. Annoying mobs and masses of people idly in-the-way (but not shopping) can be found clogging up the likes of the Galleria and South Coast Plaza all the time...to some, especially the upper-class, it's a turn-off. And besides, upper-class/luxury retail does not require great crowds/hoards of people to be very successful...all it takes is a few customers who drop SERIOUS money to make a stores day.

Those poor upper class people...having to interact and socialize with us plebs. I feel for them and their double and triple comma bank accounts.

• Like 1

Most people that make purchases from the stores at ROD are going to be spending A LOT of money, so most look online and do some research on the product at home and then go into the store to buy it which means not a lot of foot traffic just browsing around and looking at items. However, I do agree that this development needs a little bit more traffic because people will window shop once their there and buy spontaneously. It's also necessary for more reasonably priced stores like COS to make it. Hopefully the restaurants will draw more people in!

^^^ the VC&A boutique in the galleria is located inside of neiman marcus.  the ROD locale is their first free-standing boutique...

Has that always been the case? I could've sworn they used to have a separate storefront in the mall. Perhaps it was relocated inside Neiman's at some point?

Has that always been the case? I could've sworn they used to have a separate storefront in the mall. Perhaps it was relocated inside Neiman's at some point?

^^^ as per my direct knowledge, VC&A has never had a free-standing retail edifice located anywhere within the city of houston.  ROD shall be the first...

Injuction Favors iPic in Movie Licensing Dispute

A movie theater chain suing Regal Entertainment Group for allegedly pressuring studios to restrict its access to major releases has won an early round in a Harris County legal battle.

A judge last week ruled for iPic Entertainment, which operates 13 luxury theaters nationwide, including one that opened in Houston two months ago. IPic had requested a temporary injunction against Regal's "anti-competitve and unlawful conduct" ahead of an Oct. 3 trial date. The lawsuit alleges that Regal encourages studios to deny licenses to iPic to show recent releases for fear those movies won't be shown on Regal's broader network of theaters.

Before the injunction, Florida-based iPic had received licensing to show only three of the 10 most popular movies at the Houston location in early 2016, said Paul Yetter of Houston-based Yetter Coleman, which is representing iPic.

"The court's order will change that entirely," he said, adding that iPic is now working with studios to get more access.

• Like 4

I like the style, but the color choices are poor. The plain backsplash and white cabinet doors blend in to the walls too much. The lower cabinet doors appear to be the same color as the flooring. No contrast at all. I'm hoping that the photo was taken with very low exposure and its really not that bleak lighting wise. It really reminds me of a condo I owned that was built in 2008 which I loved, and had much better color choices IMO:

IMG_5467.JPG

• Like 1

THIS...has become the definition of "Luxury". 

Knock Knock. 

Welcome...won't you come into my Kitchen.  The Laundry is right here.  Convenient...right? 

What?  Why, yes.  It is laminate flooring.  Thank you for noticing.   

Sure you can.  The bathroom is right there off the kitchen.  

• Like 5