River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice shot! Thanks!  Dunno about others, but I'm wondering about the probability (and timing) of a rumored street between Arabella / Wilshire and the Target store, an extension of Post Oak Park Drive, which would connect San Felipe and Westheimer via Bettis and ROD.  Seems like a natural, and easy process of cooperative ROW acquisition without any Eminent Domain hassle.  Someone claimed that Houston City Planning Commission is aware of the developers' support of it, but I personally have no solid info.  Any wisdom is appreciated as I continue to be amazed at this Inside the Loop phenomenon that is Westcreek / ROD area.

• 2 weeks later...

CgkX08vU4AABsAQ.jpg:large

^^^ welcome to houston.. SAINT BERNARD at ROD!  this 14,000 sqft dynamo from dallas, incorporates a private men's lounge 

serving up draft beer and coffee, a very high-end ski apparel shop with all the bells and whistles, and many other luxe-life

accoutrements that makes this great new store a retail powerhouse.

welcome again....

• Like 4

fortyfive.jpeg

logo.gif

holy-cow-278x120.png ^^^  for anyone that knows anything about HIGH-END retail for fashion / art / home throughout this great state of texas... then you should be highly abreast to the simple fact that FORTY FIVE TEN is a dallas retail powerhouse.  OMG and they are now on their merry way to houston's now highly acclaimed RIVER OAKS DISTRICT!  crockpotandgravel, dude, you beat me to it.  we both obviously are following PAPERCITY HOUSTON, for we both received the all important tweet of this magnificent revelation today.  i am simply ecstatic of this most wonderful news!  members of HAIF, just wait until this fashion powerhouse arrives this coming september... for you will know just what i am speaking of.  forty five ten is simply the very best!      

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

It would be nice if this location would have a T Room, like the new location on Main Street in Dallas.

The original Forty Five Ten on McKinney has been extremely successful, garnering shoppers such as the Olsen Twins, Oprah and Anne Hathaway.

Hopefully this location will continue the brand's success. 

• Like 1

Silly question but, is the part of the building facing Westheimer all ground floor retail?  I asumed it wasn't initially because just looking at it it didnt really seem like future store fronts, but after seeing St Bernard develop into a nice store front I'm guessing that whole stretch is retail space?  If that's the case, why wouldn't the big names like Tom Ford want to face the Westheimer? 

Just now, nate4l1f3 said:

Silly question but, is the part of the building facing Westheimer all ground floor retail?  I asumed it wasn't initially because just looking at it it didnt really seem like future store fronts, but after seeing St Bernard develop into a nice store front I'm guessing that whole stretch is retail space?  If that's the case, why wouldn't the big names like Tom Ford want to face the Westheimer? 

Also does anyone have a pic before St Bernard was built out?

most of the ground level facing westheimer seems to be restaurant space...i know the west part is 2 restaurants plus one of those having a coffee shop (so 3 total on that side if you count it that way...) then 1 on the right side...and my guess is the rest will indeed be retail. (there may be room for 2 to 4 more places depending on the size)

2 hours ago, gene said:

most of the ground level facing westheimer seems to be restaurant space...i know the west part is 2 restaurants plus one of those having a coffee shop (so 3 total on that side if you count it that way...) then 1 on the right side...and my guess is the rest will indeed be retail. (there may be room for 2 to 4 more places depending on the size)

Found this, looks like the blue is residential? It does state ground floor on the map so I guess.....

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm totally underwhelmed with Cafe Toulouse, so far, although I'm also  willing to give their team some more time to get it together.  Two lunches and two dinners now, and both have food that tastes bland (without even sufficient seasoning) and waitstaff that is far less attentive and professional than both the ambience and prices would suggest.  The owner is Italian along with a woman manager, and love to kibbitz with customers more than watching the service.  Looks to be a 'society, seen and be seen, gig' versus serious culinary adventures.   I'm guessing their La Taverna will be better.  They'd better get it together, though,  because the restaurant scene in Htown is magnificent, AND competitive.  Pretty stout rents at ROD will motivate the winners, but if things don't improve rapidly at Cafe T, they're gone when their primary lease term is done (probably 5 0r 10 years, is my guess).  For French, La Brasserie and Max and Julie's run rings around them.  For Italian, there are many starting with the Mandola creations and even Carrabas that La Taverana will have to compete with.

The finest stores at this luxury center prefer to be in the middle of it.  Westheimer frontage and visibility advantage with high traffic coints matter

only with the lesser lights (ie, not Dior, Tom Ford, et al.), imho.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, imagoman said:

I'm totally underwhelmed with Cafe Toulouse, so far, although I'm also  willing to give their team some more time to get it together.  Two lunches and two dinners now, and both have food that tastes bland (without even sufficient seasoning) and waitstaff that is far less attentive and professional than both the ambience and prices would suggest.  The owner is Italian along with a woman manager, and love to kibbitz with customers more than watching the service.  Looks to be a 'society, seen and be seen, gig' versus serious culinary adventures.   I'm guessing their La Taverna will be better.  They'd better get it together, though,  because the restaurant scene in Htown is magnificent, AND competitive.  Pretty stout rents at ROD will motivate the winners, but if things don't improve rapidly at Cafe T, they're gone when their primary lease term is done (probably 5 0r 10 years, is my guess).  For French, La Brasserie and Max and Julie's run rings around them.  For Italian, there are many starting with the Mandola creations and even Carrabas that La Taverana will have to compete with.

They may soon learn that being a place to see and be seen isn't enough to make it in Houston .  It's what Stanley Marcus said -- "in Dallas you can sell the sizzle, but in Houston you have to show them the steak."

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

They may soon learn that being a place to see and be seen isn't enough to make it in Houston .  It's what Stanley Marcus said -- "in Dallas you can sell the sizzle, but in Houston you have to show them the steak."

Hahaha not sure who that guy is but I love that quote.  Might have to make it a bumper sticker lol

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

That guy was the head of Neiman Marcus for about 50 years (1952-2002) and one of the most-sainted Dallasonians ever.

"That guy" Stanley was one of the two cofounders of Neiman MARCUS.   He brought his amazing store to Htown as a result of the salesmanship of another great salesman like himself, a young Gerald D. Hines, to anchor Gerry's new 'unique shopping center' off Houston's new West Loop back in the day.  The rest as they say is history.   I agree with your comments though about Houston, especially in the restaurant biz, but indeed most businesses.  A 'no BS' city we have here!

3 minutes ago, imagoman said:

"That guy" Stanley was one of the two cofounders of Neiman MARCUS.   He brought his amazing store to Htown as a result of the salesmanship of another great salesman like himself, a young Gerald D. Hines, to anchor Gerry's new 'unique shopping center' off Houston's new West Loop back in the day.  The rest as they say is history.   I agree with your comments though about Houston, especially in the restaurant biz, but indeed most businesses.  A 'no BS' city we have here!

Just to keep things accurate:  Stanley was not one of the co-founders of Neiman Marcus.  The store was founded by Stanley's father, aunt, and uncle.  Also, Gerald Hines did not bring Neiman Marcus to Houston.  Neiman Marcus's first Houston store opened in 1957 in downtown Houston.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Not at all.  At least not my feelings.  I thought it was pretty amusing.

Haha I'm not to be taken serious on either comments.  I know y'all really weren't bothered by it.  

So how long before Starbucks opens shop at R.O.D.? Or is there already one there?  

What at else would y'all like to see?