BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 2:03 PM, htownboy said:

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/308492/blvd-place-residential-tower-houston-tx-usa

Emporis estimates some tower here at 492 ft.

I honestly have no idea what tower this height belongs to, I haven't really been following this whole project.

It's for this building - the first residential tower that was proposed for the site, just east of Hanover Post Oak at Post Oak Lane and San Felipe.

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/37-story-building-with-236-apartments-to-soar-in-1752784.php

It has been part of the project plans since at least 2008. Even when the Ritz proposal fizzled, it remained. For the longest time, site plans also indicated it as "37-Story Residential Tower", but more recent ones say simply "Future Residential Tower" As of now, the building with that footprint is still on the proposal map

http://www.blvdplace.com/Retail-ProjectPlans.htm

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

I am happy to see this is truly starting. I do wonder, however, if the projects outside the loop help  or hurt the goal of urbanizing Midtown, for instance. Do the occupancy rates of uptown factor in to a project trying to get off the ground in Midtown? Do the total apartments U/C net out or stay unique to a sub-markets' economic factors and a projects viability?

Obviously I love to see progress in this city, but i do think about the net effect an apartment building like this has on the proposals for Midtown or BBP area. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I'd assert that an Uptown development would have little impact on development progress in or near Midtown.  Each appeals to a somewhat unique market.  Someone looking to live in Midtown is interested in a more urban, pedestrian lifestyle with better public transport (i.e. Light rail).  Uptown offers a very different experience.   

• Like 1

I live in Uptown and believe that its the most integrated mixed use neighborhood in the city.  Nowhere else do you get the density of apartments, offices, retail, restaurants and hotels. Since I moved here  the Memorial Villages I have become less car-centric and I make a point of walking to the pharmacy, bank, supermarket, retail store , etc. in all sorts of weather. I even walked my Thanksgiving turkey into the house from Whole Foods.   I don't think Midtown has as anywhere near the green space that we have in the Galleria/Uptown area  and our TIRZ has done a great job with the streetscape, including sidewalk lighting , to encourage pedestrian activity. 

• Like 9

I think both y'all are exaggerating (in opposite directions.) Uptown does have a decent mix, but it's pretty spread out and has some serious scale issues. Midtown has a massive advantage in that it has a real street grid and some very walkable neighboring areas. As for green space? Midtown has some good small parks, and Hermann Park and Buffalo Bayou are both very easily accessible.

I'm excited that the TIRZ is pushing so hard to improve the neighborhood, but for me, Uptown is still not somewhere I would particularly want to live. I am very curious to see how the BRT line there does though, both for the neighborhood itself and as a prototype for additional lines. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You'd think with the huge find that Apache made with the promise of billions of barrels of oil and gas in the Permian basin Balmorhea area that they would go ahead and build that nice 30 story tower we saw renderings of two years ago, and are still up on the going up page overview.

I think it would be a nice addition to Post Oak and create a continuous wall of towers along that side.

Does anyone have any insight?

• Like 1

You're right they do have some issues with the location and I'm really not real excited about fracking under one of the most beautiful natural swimming holes and aquifers in Texas. But they will figure all of the technical issues out and the Permian Basin has taken off again with 

the development and use of new technologies. They're able to make a profit off under $50.00 a barrel prices so I can't see them waiting too long for production to start for Apache.

Edited by bobruss
spelling
  • Like 2