BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

I agree that WF probably screwed up by downsizing this location.  Originally, it was planned to be as big as the flagship WF in Austin.  I was looking forward to something akin the the flagship store, which would have filled the void left by Eatzie's demise.  

Personally, I find the underground parking convenient if/when I drive there after work.  Other times, when I walk, I find it odd that the developers made access so unfriendly to pedestrians -- all the access routes are designed for car traffic.  The shortest route for a pedestrian walking from the north requires cutting cross-country through the cheap ligustrum hedge or else going further to contend with automobile traffic at the entries for them.

I do shop there anyway, because it is closer to my home and my office.  However, I actually prefer shopping at the WF on Alabama or the one in Montrose.  Ultimately, I will go to the Central Market in Highland Village more often (despite the crowds there, which I don't like) because they have a better selection.  CM has a much better selection of stuff that I like to buy, such as breads and Spanish and Italian hams.

Personally, I find the underground parking convenient if/when I drive there after work. Other times, when I walk, I find it odd that the developers made access so unfriendly to pedestrians -- all the access routes are designed for car traffic. The shortest route for a pedestrian walking from the north requires cutting cross-country through the cheap ligustrum hedge or else going further to contend with automobile traffic at the entries for them.

They must have felt confident that there would never be pedestrians on Post Oak Blvd through the usable life of the store. Which was stupid of them.

So, as many of you know, I live two blocks away.  While I have walked to WF several times, I generally drive since the underground parking is outrageously convenient (seriously, this is the number 1 feature of the location, and I cannot overstate the greatness of the design).  That said, I have a huge issue with the store.  Regardless of the time of day or day of the week, there are never enough people working the registers.  Without exception, I spend 10+ minutes in line, each time, every time.  The weird part is... it doesn't matter how many people are in the store.  The store can be empty... I still wait 10 minutes.  The store can be packed... I still wait 10 minutes.  Why bother when I can go to any other grocery and not wait in line.

Also, what's the deal with the prepared foods?  Again, there are never enough people working there.  The point of this location should be flow... get in, get out.  Instead, it's easy to park, but then you get trapped inside with no one to help you.  Hire some more people... I'm begging.  I want this place to be a success. 

• Like 4

interesting comment...I live on post oak and work 2 blocks from Whole Foods...I go in (almost) daily either at 815am or at 515pm to grab something to eat or drink etc and never wait more than 1 person or 2 in line at the "express" checkout so I haven't had to deal with a regular check out lane yet....maybe try a little different time of day than you usually go or maybe I am just lucky that I never actually shop for more than 10 items haha! it has been nice to see this place get a little busier because I too love my WF! (I will note that there is one express check out worker who is VERY slow...she moves in such slow motion that its almost like she is moving backwards in time haha...so I always avoid her register ;) )

• Like 2

Good comments Gene.  Since I'm usually buying beer, I'm too lazy to walk to the far end where the express is.  I will say... I went there Friday at 5pm sharp.  No express checkouts were open, only 3 registers working.  I just don't understand their business plan.

When people are buying basket-loads of single-item prepared foods, you need more people working the stands.

• Like 1

I know it's weird to say but this project has become a letdown, even with the future towers.

This was going to be so much more dense and cohesive.

Unless they get the perfect tenants, how will the space on Post Oak lane survive with no Post Oak Blvd and San Felipe visibility. Maybe I'm overstating the disappointment. They still have an opportunity to redesign the unbuilt spaces and make it into a place more like CityCentre.

• Like 5

I know it's weird to say but this project has become a letdown, even with the future towers.

This was going to be so much more dense and cohesive.

Unless they get the perfect tenants, how will the space on Post Oak lane survive with no Post Oak Blvd and San Felipe visibility. Maybe I'm overstating the disappointment. They still have an opportunity to redesign the unbuilt spaces and make it into a place more like CityCentre.

upon my view, RIVER OAKS DISTRICT just came out of nowhere, and grabbed basically every ounce of momentum / thunder that the BLVD PLACE had going for it.  let us please remember, some of the tony boutique's that are now headed for ROD, were at one time pinpointed as per BLVD PLACE.  

it certainly seems to me, that BLVD PLACE is now trying in earnest to reposition itself.  where is that gorgeous proposed RITZ CARLTON that we all know was once slated for this development?  why is it now so very sparse, as opposed to it's once promising and yet ambitious plan of high end retailers and such?  we shall all just have to wait and see... as well as pray... 

• Like 1

upon my view, RIVER OAKS DISTRICT just came out of nowhere, and grabbed basically every ounce of momentum / thunder that the BLVD PLACE had going for it.  let us please remember, some of the tony boutique's that are now headed for ROD, were at one time pinpointed as per BLVD PLACE.  

it certainly seems to me, that BLVD PLACE is now trying in earnest to reposition itself.  where is that gorgeous proposed RITZ CARLTON that we all know was once slated for this development?  why is it now so very sparse, as opposed to it's once promising and yet ambitious plan of high end retailers and such?  we shall all just have to wait and see... as well as pray... 

You are right about the tenants, but I am just speaking from a design perspective mainly.

other major cities have multiple luxury retailer clusters.  timing has a lot to do with where a store is ultimately located; delays and alterations in design at blvd place may have lost them a retailer or two.  (all that really matters is that tom ford is coming to houston.)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get how the parking garage is a negative.... Similarly to the flagship whole foods in Austin, the garage makes parking infinitely more convenient. It's dedicated to the store, it's covered and climate controlled, it has parking space indicators and you're rarely more than 100' from the entrance.

Exactly, I can't think of a better plus. Wait until summer when it is 100 degrees and raining (at the same time!!), your car is in the shade and protected.

I can't believe all the negative posts here. WF has only been opened a few months and already people are citing its demise (some comments a month ago). It does take some time to readjust and fine tune the program, give them a break.

• Like 1

I just wanted to let everyone know that North Italia http://northitaliarestaurant.com/locations/houston/ opened up the other day and i LOVE it! great food, good prices (3 to 6pm happy hour m-f and ALL DAY SUNDAY!) i really like the decor, then the atmosphere and the food is really great (margherita pizza, the roasted artichoke and the olive oil cake are all favorites so far...) but its the STAFF that really makes the place...the bartenders especially are personable and cool and have had a blast a few times already sitting at the bar and hanging out drinking, eating and meeting some super cool people. check it out! (south side/middle of the building)

• Like 3

I just wanted to let everyone know that North Italia http://northitaliarestaurant.com/locations/houston/ opened up the other day and i LOVE it! great food, good prices (3 to 6pm happy hour m-f and ALL DAY SUNDAY!) i really like the decor, then the atmosphere and the food is really great (margherita pizza, the roasted artichoke and the olive oil cake are all favorites so far...) but its the STAFF that really makes the place...the bartenders especially are personable and cool and have had a blast a few times already sitting at the bar and hanging out drinking, eating and meeting some super cool people. check it out! (south side/middle of the building)

ok.  thanks gene for the heads up regarding north.  their foods look fresh / handmade / and simply remarkable!  i shall definitely be heading that way for sure...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apache tower moving forward:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2015/04/permit-filed-for-apaches-new-tower-in-the-galleria.html

A building permit for a long-discussed Galleria-area tower for Houston-basedApache Corp. (NYSE: APA) has been filed at 1770 Post Oak Blvd., valuing the high-rise office building at $172 million.
  • Like 9

A building permit for a long-discussed Galleria-area tower for Houston-basedApache Corp. (NYSE: APA) has been filed at 1770 Post Oak Blvd., valuing the high-rise office building at $172 million.

The filing of a permit seems to indicate the company plans to move ahead on the tower, although representatives from Apache declined to comment on the permit and said the company has no immediate plans for the site. Apache's current headquarters is nearby at Post Oak Central, where the company occupies nearly 500,000 square feet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2015/04/permit-filed-for-apaches-new-tower-in-the-galleria.html?ana=twt

urbannizer beat me 

Edited by Mab
  • Like 7

so...is the rendering in urbanizer's comprehensive going up! thread the most current that we know of?  i just posted it on the haif facebook page but it seems as though that design was early on...and we know how these things change.

so...is the rendering in urbanizer's comprehensive going up! thread the most current that we know of?  i just posted it on the haif facebook page but it seems as though that design was early on...and we know how these things change.