Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

I was told they offer free dancing at this place? If its all outside it cant be that pleasant of an experience unless its hot and sweaty Salsa like music. :blush:

Most females would hate the very idea of having to dance with a funky smelling person. So it really is all outside right?

Dry idea

It will be interesting to see how the park fares during summer. I don't imagine anyone will be out around say, 1 p.m. in the middle of July, but once Discovery Tower goes up it should provide some extra shade and the wind whipping around the buildings should provide some relief. Now when there is no breeze at all and the air is thick and stagnant...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you are suppose to be swimming in the "lake"? Today I saw a rather large man and woman try to swim across the "lake" and did not make it halfway before turning back (sad). Needless to say they left their "imprint" on the sand near the shore.

Common sense tells me "no"! But was just curious.

Does anyone know if you are suppose to be swimming in the "lake"? Today I saw a rather large man and woman try to swim across the "lake" and did not make it halfway before turning back (sad). Needless to say they left their "imprint" on the sand near the shore.

Common sense tells me "no"! But was just curious.

lol...thanks for the image!!

I don't think it was intended for swimming...

Good Lord, what is wrong with people? No, it's not for swimming and the colorful entrances to the parking garage are not for climbing on. I've heard that they will be planting lilys and other vegitation in the lake. Maybe the should throw in a few water moccasins!

Photos from this weekend:

IMG_0108.jpg

The Mist Tree

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

Kids having fun at the fountains at full blast

IMG_0123.jpg

Here it is at a trickle:

IMG_0109.jpg

The Canopy walk

IMG_0121.jpg

Mandatory bum shot (an hour later seen walking out of four seasons)

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

The Great Lawn

IMG_0117.jpg

OPP view from the Lake House (Good burger, by the way)

IMG_0122.jpg

From the near the edge of the playground.

IMG_0128.jpg

Got this in a newsletter...

While Thursday's X-dancing classes at Discovery Green have been cancelled, there are plenty of other options for getting fit there. Monday's popular Pilates class is a great way to start the week while Wednesday's exhilarating Zumba! Fitness class can help rev you up for the weekend.

Not good, but not the end of the world. Maybe they'll try to start them back up once OPP residents move in?

I thougt Canada was crazy clean. Okay, I've never been to Canada, but that's one of my stereotypes of Canada, super clean, along with super friendly people and super cold.

Snow. And everything's white (not just the people). I've actually heard they have a big Asian and Caribbean population there too.

I've never liked that Dubuffet thing, but I have to say it looks a darn sight better in its new location than it did in front of 1100 Louisiana.

Yeah, it finally has some purpose and perspective. And it matches the colors of GRB.

I'm not a big burger person, but I hear everyone talk about the burgers there. Are they REALLY that good?

Snow. And everything's white (not just the people). I've actually heard they have a big Asian and Caribbean population there too.

Yeah, it finally has some purpose and perspective. And it matches the colors of GRB.

I'm not a big burger person, but I hear everyone talk about the burgers there. Are they REALLY that good?

If you're refering to the burgers at the lakehouse, then perhaps. I thought it was a damned good burger. The best? I'm not sure, about that. But it IS good.

If you're refering to the burgers at the lakehouse, then perhaps. I thought it was a damned good burger. The best? I'm not sure, about that. But it IS good.

Agreed! I'm thinking about making a trip down there for a burger and beer right now...

All this week they seem to be spreading sand out everywhere over the grass. Someone told me that bermuda grass does better in sand than in clay. I am not sure why they didn't just lay sand down before they laid the grass. Does anyone know if spreading sand around on grass that has already been laid will help the grass?

(The grass was kinda weird looking, it would have brown circles around a really green spot. You can't really notice it unless you are looking at it from far above)

I'm pretty pumped to see the traffic the ice skating rink brings during the winter. Something about ice skating downtown in the park gets me excited like a little kid.

Just look at the Galleria rink around Christmas time. Sure a lot of those people are there for shopping, but I can definitely see the rink at DG drawing a pretty big crowd.

This is a great looking park! Could someone get some aerial pics from the upper floors of the Hilton (I have a 4 year old pic from the Hilton overlooking Discovery Green, but I cannot post pics). Please share anything you have - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
The problem I've had with this thing from day one is the amount of money being spent to build a park 3 blocks wide and 3 blocks long that is to become Downtown's "Jewel" park as if forgeting that Elenor Tinsley park even exists. Does anyone have the current price tag available? You're right, it's all private money, but that private money could have been spent on upgrades to Elenor Tinsley park that would make it world-class.

Once again, not dissing the park itself, just the monetary excess being thrown at it that is desperately needed elswhere.

this is not a park it is a parking lot with grass and two puddles.

I have still never been to this park. I've been around every square inch, but have never stepped foot inside. It's always bustling with people. A couple of weeks ago there was a section roped off with what looked like some Hawaiian themed party going on.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I have still never been to this park. I've been around every square inch, but have never stepped foot inside. It's always bustling with people. A couple of weeks ago there was a section roped off with what looked like some Hawaiian themed party going on.

I have been to numerous events around discovery green also, but never inside the park. Well that will change this weekend. Dock Dogs is going to be there and we are going to check it out. I don't know if everyone know what it is, but it's basically a big air competition for dogs jumping from a dock into a pond. I think it is open to all dogs. Check it out here dockdogs.com

I can't wait to walk around and grab a burger. Also, I think the ice skating in the winter will be one of the coolest things you can do in Houston. They could really make it a destination if they have a "North Pole" village set-up and sell hot chocolate, have carolers, and such. Can't wait to bring my daughter, though she needs to start walking first...

I have been to numerous events around discovery green also, but never inside the park. Well that will change this weekend. Dock Dogs is going to be there and we are going to check it out. I don't know if everyone know what it is, but it's basically a big air competition for dogs jumping from a dock into a pond. I think it is open to all dogs. Check it out here dockdogs.com

I can't wait to walk around and grab a burger. Also, I think the ice skating in the winter will be one of the coolest things you can do in Houston. They could really make it a destination if they have a "North Pole" village set-up and sell hot chocolate, have carolers, and such. Can't wait to bring my daughter, though she needs to start walking first...

I heard about Dock Dogs in the Houston Downtown Happenings newsletter. I wanted to take my dog there because she jumps hella high. I am just nervous of her jumping into a pond, since shes never swam before. Although, I am probably just paranoid and I am sure she could swim just fine.

I heard about Dock Dogs in the Houston Downtown Happenings newsletter. I wanted to take my dog there because she jumps hella high. I am just nervous of her jumping into a pond, since shes never swam before. Although, I am probably just paranoid and I am sure she could swim just fine.

Um.....doggy paddle? There is a reason they call it that.