Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

It has been pretty active during the day, especially during lunch hour.

I would hold off judgement on the park's pedestrian activity during non-convention days and nights until One Park Place is built. Even then, I don't think there will be many people frequenting the park at night unless there is an Astros or Rockets game. The neighborhood around it still needs to be built up. Like any other park, I expect it to be much more active on weekends.

I agree, once, OPP is built and occupied will be a very true indicator of what will happen to the park. I'm sorta' beginning to think that perhaps they should have started the construction so both can be "presented" to the public at the same time.

So it will be interesting to see how it goes. So far (in the late afternoon) the Lake house "looked" empty, but I didn't pay that much attention to it. I was too busy eyeing some joggers. it seems like that will get the most use at the "off" hours.

Any idea where the public restrooms are in there? someone mentioned that they weren't in the lake house, but was curious where they WOULD be.

What would be an opportune hour and a good vantage point for HIM to lycra gaze?

LOL.

I don't know, actually, I was at a light when I was making my observations and I've only been by a couple of times since it opened this past sunday. Don't worry, many a hotel guest will probably head to this place early in the mornings and evenings.

LOL.

I don't know, actually, I was at a light when I was making my observations and I've only been by a couple of times since it opened this past sunday. Don't worry, many a hotel guest will probably head to this place early in the mornings and evenings.

<_< Pervs!

But since we're on the subject .... when does the skate park open? B)

<_< Pervs! But since we're on the subject .... when does the skate park open? B)

What do pervs and skateparks have to do with eachother?

Anywho, I see lil Travis Barker look-a-likes skating there all the time but they could be just sneaking in, in true skater style ;)

It seems the protestors got to the park before the homeless did! Today people walked through the park protesting ARAMARK. As of right now they are still there with their band instruments and loudspeakers.

So much for a park being peaceful!

They were protesting Aramark? What was their beef?

I think you do have to get a permit to protest. If I recall correctly when the cleaning people were on strike last year in downtown the police could do nothing because they had a "permit" to gather or something to that extent. As long as they did not impede traffic they could protest (even on residential blocks... which to this today I still a little pissed about). Who really wants to come home and listen to that crap till 10-11pm at night.

Finally checked out Discovery Green today... it was great! Got the seal of approval from my 4-year-old. He did not want to leave. Played in the fountains all morning, ate a hotdog at the Lake House, played at the playground. I love the design of the park and all the features... the wood decking, the beautiful play structure, the landscaping. I hope it stays clean and well-maintained (unlike Hermann Park, where the splash area is permanently full of trash and the drains are always clogged).

It seems the protestors got to the park before the homeless did! Today people walked through the park protesting ARAMARK. As of right now they are still there with their band instruments and loudspeakers.

So much for a park being peaceful!

Well, at least they are allowed to protest, unlike the private-public parks outside of Houston.

I was at a conference at the Hilton Americas today, and an attendee from Dallas made the comment that Houston is "so much greener than Dallas." Now, Houston's always been greener than Dallas, but I had to wonder if that same comment would have been made had the conference been overlooking a sea of surface parking lots instead of Disco Green.

I went for a jog at the park last week and didn't like it. There isn't much gravel to run on which means you have to run on concrete for most of the course. I wish it was more than 1/2 mile too - runing in a circle 6 times is not fun.

Yeah any serious runner wouldn't use this park to run in. I don't know why they even attempted to put a running track in. I've yet to see any joggers.

However, the park over on the bayou by the north side of downtown is perfect for running. It's concrete, but it's still a great running park. If there were more residential around there I think there would be more activity in that park other than the homeless under bridges.