Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Yeah Hermann is not too far for me, but I think the idea is the office workers downtown can use Disco Green instead of going all the way to Hermann (unless they live in the museum district).

How many people work downtown?

There's a huge green space at the south end of the Light Rail line that would be a great spot for a park! Maybe even an amusement pa...... oh, damn.

They should get rid of that stupid dome thing that's down at that end :)

Someone mentioned putting a park at the McGowen Superblock. For some reason I don't like that idea.

Anyway I guess the East End line should at least be finalized before I start fantasizing about how to pump up real estate values down at that end of town.

Hermann Park isn't too far from TMC workers or Museum District residents. Especially with the rail right there.

That constitutes effort. Hermann Park is not a lunch-hour kind of place, especially considering its size and Houston's summer heat.

Disco Green is one block from 5 Houston Center and its tunnel entrance. The Lakehouse should build itself into a popular weekday food joint.

That constitutes effort. Hermann Park is not a lunch-hour kind of place, especially considering its size and Houston's summer heat.

Disco Green is one block from 5 Houston Center and its tunnel entrance. The Lakehouse should build itself into a popular weekday food joint.

I played hookie for an hour this morning and really like the park. Of course there are things to nitpick, but I won't do that here. Anybody anywhere should be pleased to have a park like this dropped into their CBD. I will say that there is a lot of stuff packed into that space but I'll trust in the landscape architect's reasons for designing it the way they did. For a park that will primarily be used by people taking breaks from conventions, or getting fresh air from the hotel, or hanging out before a game, I think they nailed it. Compared to a park like Memorial, it is a totally different animal. This park is not about exercise, it's about going to a destination to partake in an activity (like bocce ball, the sport of tomorrow). The combination of gardens and lawn space is nice, and one day I'm going to sail a little boat in the pond even if I look like a creepy person doing it.

I think they did a great job.

How many people were around in the morning? Unfortunately, I won't be able to go down there again for another 2 weeks or so, but once I'm done with this semester, I'm going to spend some more time at Disco Green.

How many people were around in the morning? Unfortunately, I won't be able to go down there again for another 2 weeks or so, but once I'm done with this semester, I'm going to spend some more time at Disco Green.

Let's see. There was a girl reading by the lake, who I later saw heading to the Hilton. Two grandparents with a grandson sailing a boat in the lake. A couple of people who I pegged as tourists. And me. Oh, and about a dozen guys working on fountains, etc. It was a beautiful morning, and the view from the hill near the convention center is pretty sweet.

And to think, it's basically a glorified roof for an underground parking garage. The more I think about what used the be there, the prouder I am of the powers that be for getting this thing done.

Seriously -- unless I'm wrong and those were intended to be climbing walls -- I think it's pretty irresponsible of the Chronicle to publish that picture, at least not without mentioning they're not supposed to do that.

I'm not addressing use of the multi-colored walls for the underground parking entrance. The sculpture I'm referring to is at the east end of the park just across the street from the convention center. I doubt that the intent is for children to climb on the art. Frankly, the city should be concerned not just about the aesthetics issue but also the threat of lawsuits (tort immunity be damned).

I'm not addressing use of the multi-colored walls for the underground parking entrance. The sculpture I'm referring to is at the east end of the park just across the street from the convention center. I doubt that the intent is for children to climb on the art. Frankly, the city should be concerned not just about the aesthetics issue but also the threat of lawsuits (tort immunity be damned).

Isn't that sculpture also an exit from the parking garage to the park? or is there another multicolored piece of art?

I rode my bike to DG today, with a quick stop off at Baldwin.

DG is fantastic. A beautiful asset for a city. It, with attendant development, has completely transformed one of downtown's most desolate areas.

My new house is just under a mile from DG, and 2 blocks from Baldwin. I'm really satisfied with the location. I should be moving in next week.

Rock on, Woolie! Congrats on the new place. Vanessa and I have looked at townhouses in that hood too, but we don't have the income to consider it yet. Some day...

I was at Baldwin park the same day I was at Disco Green and I noticed it was very active with a big outdoor art sale. You're lucky to live close to two awesome parks.

Edited by Jax

Just got back from my visit. Being inside it completed is just awesome. To think that it's in the heart of the city makes it so great. I think we'll look back in time and realize the great impact this park will have.

Also had a burger at the Lake House Cafe. Pretty good, and so were the sweet potatoes fries. Burger was 5.75. not bad

Cool! I'm going to eat there next time I'm in the park!

I am considering having my graduation dinner with my family at The Grove next month. The food doesn't sound too exciting from me, but the place looks nice (fancy enough but not too fancy), and I think it would be fun to walk around the park with my family after dinner rather than just driving home. Plus it's somewhere new and different. We can go there on the Metro Rail rather than driving, and maybe walk around downtown and have a drink afterwards or something. Anyways, has anybody been there and if so, would you recommend it for something like that? My dinner will be with like 5 or 6 other people.

Cool! I'm going to eat there next time I'm in the park!

I am considering having my graduation dinner with my family at The Grove next month. The food doesn't sound too exciting from me, but the place looks nice (fancy enough but not too fancy), and I think it would be fun to walk around the park with my family after dinner rather than just driving home. Plus it's somewhere new and different. We can go there on the Metro Rail rather than driving, and maybe walk around downtown and have a drink afterwards or something. Anyways, has anybody been there and if so, would you recommend it for something like that? My dinner will be with like 5 or 6 other people.

I've been there twice and as far as I'm concerned the restaurant is not a destination restaurant yet. Good food, crap service. I think they have a lot of kinks to work out. BUT, if the park is really your destination and you want to eat at a pretty good restaurant (the bar uspstairs on the balcony is cool too) then go for it. Don't expect Cafe Annie and you won't be disappointed.

I barely had any household income until the girl finished her masters.... anyway, DG was definitely a factor in choosing that neighborhood. It's an easy 5-10 minute ride, depending on stop lights. I think the houses on the market there are actually a bit undervalued given the amount of amazing public space they are close to.

I was going to grab a bite to eat at the Lakehouse Cafe (?), the less expensive of the two restaurants, but I forgot both my wallet and a bike lock. :) Maybe next time.

Let me complete my report: it was 5:30pm on a Tuesday and there were perhaps 100 people in the park, spread out over the different areas. Alot of people at the wine bar -- I imagine this will be *very* popular. Some people lounging on the wooden deck areas, and a couple families having picnics in the grassy area near the Sarofim mister. Maybe 20 kids in the playground area. I'll go again later this week with my camera.

Edited by woolie

Here's what I like most about the park. It's a completely meta thing. Perhaps for the first time in the history of the universe, Houstonians will begin to value public space, and understand the commitments required. Maybe some visitors will have their eyes opened -- people who have never spent more than a day outside a soulless tract subdivision outside the beltway -- will perhaps think, "maybe there's something to this whole urban thing."

I totally forgot to report on the sturdiness of the tetris structures. I know yall are dying to know. Pretty sturdy. :P

But they had little signs taped to the small windows saying something like, "we know they look fun to climb on, but parents, please do not let your children climb on them."

The Lakehouse Cafe also had paper signs taped on their door letting people know public bathrooms were available somewhere else, and I think one said no pets allowed inside. Minor details, but they could probably find a permenant way to relay that message.

Woolie, were you there yesterday? I was one the two guys kickin the soccer ball around. Nice day to do that w/ the weather and not many others on the great lawn.

Edited by lockmat

Maybe some visitors will have their eyes opened -- people who have never spent more than a day outside a soulless tract subdivision outside the beltway -- will perhaps think, "maybe there's something to this whole urban thing."

I'd say you are taking yourself far too seriously.

But you at least you made me laugh.

After stumbling out of a bar last night, I meandered (read: Staggered) over to The Disco G and it was very quiet and dead. I have yet to see it during the day on a weekday, but I would imagine quite a few people would use it just to decompress from stress. From what I have seen, some people might use it for primal scream therapy, the ones doing that now are homeless. :D

After stumbling out of a bar last night, I meandered (read: Staggered) over to The Disco G and it was very quiet and dead. I have yet to see it during the day on a weekday, but I would imagine quite a few people would use it just to decompress from stress. From what I have seen, some people might use it for primal scream therapy, the ones doing that now are homeless. :D

It has been pretty active during the day, especially during lunch hour.

I would hold off judgement on the park's pedestrian activity during non-convention days and nights until One Park Place is built. Even then, I don't think there will be many people frequenting the park at night unless there is an Astros or Rockets game. The neighborhood around it still needs to be built up. Like any other park, I expect it to be much more active on weekends.