Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Not much of a baseball fan I guess. ;)

I was raised in Africa where football rules- I mean the one you play with your legs. We learn other sports in high school. Basketball is one of them, baseball is not, American style football is not. I cheer Astros because everyone at work is crazy about them, and I like to be a proper Houstoninan.

I play basketball sometimes but don't even know how baseball is scored...

I suppose somewhere along the line I missed that there's always jazzercise class, or native dance demos and tai chi and stuff. Constant programming. Truly a park for the ADHD world. Do they have a no-added-stuff night? Adult swim?

Me, I'm happy with an expanse of green, some dogs running around, and a place to get a beer. Assuming I'll be spending a few hours, some food. And it should not be difficult, exclusive, or overly expensive. The COH really needs to unf*** itself with regard to street food vendors, and get some tacos or some hot dogs on the streets downtown.

I still have not gone there, but I was around there yesterday evening around 6:30. I was downtown picking up some Astros tickets for a later game. There were some vollyball tournaments going on at the GRB, so Disco was packed with a lot of those folks. It looked like a party at the Grove as well and there were tons of kids playing in the fountains.

Me, I'm happy with an expanse of green, some dogs running around, and a place to get a beer. Assuming I'll be spending a few hours, some food. And it should not be difficult, exclusive, or overly expensive. The COH really needs to unf*** itself with regard to street food vendors, and get some tacos or some hot dogs on the streets downtown.

you can get a temporary tattoo if you want. ;)

i personally wouldn't recommend the grove. went yesterday and service was horrible. there were more waiters/waitresses there than customers. food was lukewarm and the bacon on the burger was almost raw. if you can afford $8 for a well drink and $12 for a call, this place is for you!

Well, I know one vendor is taking advantage and making a mint at DG and that is the bicycle ice cream vendor that works downtown selling Mexican Popsicles.

Shade?

Yeah. Can you imagine what it would be like once summer rolls around without trees? I went there for the first time on Saturday. Great park! It looks like the trees are blocking the view from the angle that picture was taken, but they're really not when you're out there on the ground. You can see the stage just fine.

Yea, if you notice, people were only sitting under the trees... the sun was out in full force. If they keep the lower part of the trees trimmed, you should still be able to see the stage while sitting.

the white people are the ones who'll be in the sun and the latins will be in the shade.

the white people are the ones who'll be in the sun and the latins will be in the shade.

:lol: working on their deep dark delicious tans.

Except for the really white white people like me. Save me some room under the tree. .....And pass me a beer.

Edited by crunchtastic

Was bored at home this afternoon so I took a ride to DG and sat by the lake and had a burger and fries from the Lake House... was just nice sitting there looking at the skyline and watching people walk around. :-)

Was bored at home this afternoon so I took a ride to DG and sat by the lake and had a burger and fries from the Lake House... was just nice sitting there looking at the skyline and watching people walk around. :-)

Stocker.

Yeah. Can you imagine what it would be like once summer rolls around without trees? I went there for the first time on Saturday. Great park! It looks like the trees are blocking the view from the angle that picture was taken, but they're really not when you're out there on the ground. You can see the stage just fine.

Yeah, as long as they keep them trimmed up it should be fine. Hopefully they're mature and shade the entire lawn someday.

I was at Disco Green today too. I was downtown and had a few hours to kill. Ended up taking a nice photo walk down Main and visiting disco green to use the free wifi. The park was not as busy as I've seen it on weekends but it was cloudy and looked like rain so I didn't really expect it to be busy. It was about 6:30 pm. There were however about 10 people in the "reading room" and about 50 people dancing to some sort of Cumbia music and a bunch of random dog walkers, as well as like 20 random people on bikes on a ride together. And this was a not busy day at the park.

I tried to take a picture of the 50 random Cumbia dancers because it was such a weird sight but I got kicked out of the dance zone by some dude in a black shirt who told me I was not allowed to take pictures. I asked him why and he said that I was not allowed to take photos because there were women present. He then asked "how would you feel if somebody took a photo of your wife in public". I told him I wouldn't mind. I thought that was kind of weird. He then threatened to call the cops so I left.

If he had told me no photos because it is private property I probably would have left it alone, but I thought the comment about women was kind of weird. Maybe women should wear burkas to the park if they don't want their pictures taken in public.

Edited by Jax

If he had told me no photos because it is private property I probably would have left it alone, but I thought the comment about women was kind of weird. Maybe women should wear burkas to the park if they don't want their pictures taken in public.

was it this guy?

http://thomashawk.com/2008/05/if-you-put-t...ternet-ill.html

I would have taken a picture of the guy and told him to f off.

http://photojojo.com/content/tips/legal-ri...-photographers/

the park is public property.

Haha yeah I should have taken his picture. I did tell him to f-off (in a nicer way of course). I thought it was sort of annoying how he didn't really tell other people (older people) to stop taking pictures, just me. He acted like taking pictures of crowds that included women was some sort of criminal act.