Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

• 2 weeks later...

I was heading to the astros game (never quite made it) and I saw a crowd over at DG and it looked like it took up the entire hill! Got online and found that it was the New Jersey Youth Symphony playing Holst's "The Planets".

I wish I had my camera with me, but once again, the entire park was bustling.

I was heading to the astros game (never quite made it) and I saw a crowd over at DG and it looked like it took up the entire hill! Got online and found that it was the New Jersey Youth Symphony playing Holst's "The Planets".

I wish I had my camera with me, but once again, the entire park was bustling.

We know you have to be making that up, Ricco. We all know this "park" is nothing but a boondoggle that won't ever be built (in part because they can't come up with enough money for it) and if it is ever built , no one will ever go there (because it's surrounded by parking lots, because it's surrounded by big buildings, because there is too much to do there, because there is not enough green space, because there is parking underneath it, because there is no place to park, because there is no residential component in Houston Pavilions . . .) ;-)

We know you have to be making that up, Ricco. We all know this "park" is nothing but a boondoggle that won't ever be built (in part because they can't come up with enough money for it) and if it is ever built , no one will ever go there (because it's surrounded by parking lots, because it's surrounded by big buildings, because there is too much to do there, because there is not enough green space, because there is parking underneath it, because there is no place to park, because there is no residential component in Houston Pavilions . . .) ;-)

:lol:

Aww, I missed LTAWACS too. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
13 reported that discovery green garage is having an issue with leaking water from one of the fountains. they aren't sure of the cause yet but are hiring a private consultant to determine the cause.

I'm sure it's something that could be fixed rather easily... hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

it would be best to replace them

if you were going to transfer a tree balled and burlaped you want the root ball at least as big as the crown of the tree

as you can see in these pix the trees have been growing and have outgrown the origional root ball which is what uprooted and they left a great deal of new growing roots in the ground

these trees are also highly stressed and will lose a ton of leaves just as the colder season comes on so they will be attempting some growth and fresh leafing when they get frosted and they will be short on reserves for the winter

next year and the years after you would have a stressed crappy looking tree in a nice public area

better to pull up and start over

^^^ Agree completely. i constantly transplant trees for friends and family (typical Virgo, i like to roll around in the dirt).

i usually get them from around the Woodlands area and bring them into town. Anyway, a few years back, when my sister bought a new home, instead of having to buy new trees, i just went to our family land and dug up some 1-2 year olds and brought them back to Bear Creek. They did splendidly. BUT, there was a big storm about a year later and one of the oaks which was flourishing blew over. i thought, "oh, just straighten it up and it will be fine" For five years i had to nurse and baby the tree along while the others were growing like wildfire. Needless to say, i ended up pulling it up and putting a Crepe Mertyle in its place. i certainly don't want Disco Green, our new signature DT park, to have scraggly looking trees. Spend the money now for a much better look later.

m. B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I think this is going to be really neat.

November 27th through January 19th

Discovery Green Ice Skating

I stopped by the park yesterday and they were either doing regular maintenance (draining and cleaning) the part of the lake closest to the building right behind the stage or they were prepping it for the rink. Seems a little early to be prepping it, but then again I don't know how long it would take.

I cant wait to take the wife and kids to this

I stopped by the park yesterday and they were either doing regular maintenance (draining and cleaning) the part of the lake closest to the building right behind the stage or they were prepping it for the rink. Seems a little early to be prepping it, but then again I don't know how long it would take.

I cant wait to take the wife and kids to this

They are preparing it for the rink... they have drain it and install special pipes and stuff to make the skating rink. I believe I read that on DG's website.

I'm guessing that you never skated on the temporary ice rink that was in front of the Wortham for the last several years.

Really? Man, I gotta get out more.. They put it on the concrete out there?

At least the Galleria/Mem Mall rinks don't have to compete with direct sunlight.. Plus.. I would venture to guess indoors it would never get more than 80 degrees.. I've had many a christmas day in shorts and t-shirt..

I guess I can "ice skate" in shorts and a t-shirt now too!

:P

Edited by Zippy