Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

i think i read 750k/yr is being set aside for upkeep but i don't remember whom.

It's operated by the Discovery Green Conservancy, a private non-profit. They've been great at fundraising -- good at tapping downtown business interests (which, after all, have an interest in downtown). With the park a roaring success, the conservancy should have no trouble continuing to pump in the money required.

I'm looking forward to visiting Discovery Green for the first time in a couple of weeks when I'm back home in Houston for a weekend. I'm thinking the BF and I should take a break from packing my stuff for the Atlanta move mid-day Saturday, hop the MetroRail up to downtown, and have a burger at the Lake House while checking out the new park.

Someone may have already pointed this out, but the guy with the Mohawk is Christian Armheiter (sp?) He was/is the lead singer/guitarist for The Hates, a Houston punk band that dates back to about 1978 or so. Haven't seen him in years....cool that he still has the hawk.

Here's a link:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/mu...al/4009595.html

Edited by nyc_tex

I didn't realize who you were talking about until I scrolled back up through the thread. Christian is cool--has been a fixture on the scene for decades now. A nice, personable, dude. I first started hanging out at the Island in 1981. (His band, unfortunately, not all that. Really Red and Culturcide were the two big Houston bands, until DRI and speed thrash).

I'm pretty sure he used to do a show on KPFT. Memory hazy.....

My best friend had a crush on him until we were practically 30. He shops at Borders on Alabama quite frequently. He is also not one of those asshole scooter people.

Edited by crunchtastic

He is also not one of those asshole scooter people.

HUH? :mellow:

From what I've seen he seems to have a pretty decent personality. Always figured you had to not take yourself too seriously if you rode a scooter, on a highway and a bright red mohawk.

I took some guys from Dallas and Chicago to The Grove to eat lunch today. The park was packed with people playing frisbee, sitting on the benches, kids playing, etc. The guys I was with were very impressed with the restaurant and the park. They were telling me how they have a completely different image of Houston now. Didn't even feel like my home town.

I took some guys from Dallas and Chicago to The Grove to eat lunch today. The park was packed with people playing frisbee, sitting on the benches, kids playing, etc. The guys I was with were very impressed with the restaurant and the park. They were telling me how they have a completely different image of Houston now. Didn't even feel like my home town.

I said that to my boyfriend when we went... said I did not even feel like I was in Houston. Anywayz... this park has definitely exceeded my expectations... I was hoping it would be a nice park, which it really is... and I was really hoping that people would actually go to it... which it appears they really are. Great for Houston!! :wub:

What do people think of Houston? I know from past encounters that alot of people think we all have boots and cowboy hats, and ride our horses into work.

When I first moved here and had friends and family down... most just said it was not what they expected... in a good way. It was bigger, more urban and modern, just not what they thought Texas would be like. My mom asked me where at the cactus were. :unsure: he he he ^_^

Someone may have already pointed this out, but the guy with the Mohawk is Christian Armheiter (sp?) He was/is the lead singer/guitarist for The Hates, a Houston punk band that dates back to about 1978 or so. Haven't seen him in years....cool that he still has the hawk. Here's a link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/mu...al/4009595.html

If I'm not mistaken that vato was the meter reader for HL&P in my hood for ages.

What do people think of Houston? I know from past encounters that alot of people think we all have boots and cowboy hats, and ride our horses into work.

Even I have a different opinion of Houston now, and I've lived here almost 20 years. Back then, downtown was hell and Midtown looked like Detroit. Main Street on the weekends was a zombie film backlot. The Wortham Center had already opened for a while, but Houston and urbanity hadn't reconciled their differences yet.

Went for a walk around DG yesterday afternoon and once again it was packed w/ people. Lots of families out w/ kids playing in the fountains... people using model boats in the lake... lots of people eating and just walking around... people playing football and frisby on the lawn... people also playing at the putting green. The park was packed. I also noticed they added a few items to the menu at the Lake House like I hoped they would. :-)

Seriously... this park is turning out to be a HUGE success... great job Houston!

Edited by HtownWxBoy