Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

I decided to drive by this afternoon in hopes of get a quick look at the park before it opened tomorrow. Once I saw that it was open and that there were so many people out there, I parked to go check it out. I ended up spending several hours wandering around the park and taking in the view.

The park is fantastic, IMO.

I think it will be a huge addition to downtown, but only time will tell.

Edited by uhlaw09

What kind of people would you expect to live downtown Jax?

I guess people with enough money to afford a fancy loft condo. There isn't any real affordable housing that I know of downtown. I heard somebody once say that the park would just be a playground for rich people, but I saw people of various socioeconomic backgrounds using the park today, and I think that's cool. I would say that the people I saw today represented the various demographics of Houston fairly well.

Edited by Jax

What kind of people would you expect to live downtown Jax?

lol...remember he's a typical white person. but he's trying to be diverse by eating vietnamese baguettes.

........these projects are going to growth and turn this city around.

turn the city around in what way?

Edited by musicman

turn it around in attitudes about downtown. In such ways that exist in Chicago and New York for example. I believe that those cities started to turn with more residential population in their downtowns............and with that said, I can see the turn around starting in houston. (Next up, the Houston Pavillions).

Trae you beat me to my answer. by the way hello everyone! I am new to comments, however been reading the site for years.

Why do you try to drive all of the threads off topic by making comments like that about whatever I say?

The words, "bitter old man" come to mind. <_<

Back on topic, thanks for the pics, Jax. With the weather supposed to be perfect again tomorrow, I think I'll go check out the park myself.

My parents drove into town today to see the new park. My 65 year old parents who live in Katy, were excited enough to come see the new park!

Mom was impressed with the crowd. ($10 to go to the park!") She asked if we could ride the bus from our house, and I told mom it was ok because we would just ride our bikes instead.

$10 to go to the park!

I parked on the street for free, but I had to walk 2 blocks.

I guess its understandable for 65 year olds to want to park closer (and have to pay), but I really liked the fact that street parking wasn't hard to find despite the crowds.

I would have taken the Metro Rail if it wasn't for the fact that I was already out in my car running some errants and getting some b

Edited by Jax

Is there a ignore feature at HAIF?

Yes. Click on My Controls on top of the page. On the left, under Options, you will find Manage Ignored Users. Then just enter the name of the people you wish to ignore.

And yes, snide personal remarks only detract from HAIF.

By the way, I've been offered a position in the Applied Physics program at Rice, so it looks like I'm going to be staying here in H-Town for the next 3 or 4 years (or 5 or 6...).

That's great, your pics, along with a few others, really are great, especially for those of us who like to keep up with progress in Houston while not living there.

I parked on the street for free, but I had to walk 2 blocks.

Careful with that, I parked on the street for "free" also, only to notice when I got back to my car, the sign said metered parking Mon-Sat, and no time range restriction. I didn't get ticketed, but now I know to watch for that around there.

Went to the park yesterday w/ my boyfriend and we were really impressed! Houston you did a great job w/ this one!! We went down around 530pm or so... the park was packed w/ people. The lake is great... can't wait for winter so we can go ice skating! We had some burgers and fries at the The Lake House... ate outside along the lake... was really really good. I loved the mist tree and the fountains... I was having to hold myself back from running through the fountains... being 28 I would have looked silly w/ all of the 10 year olds. ha ha We definitely plan on eating at the Grove sometime soon.

All in all the park I feel is a HUGE success! The only things I would have changed are to have maybe a sand volleyball court or something like that and I would also like to see the menu at the Lake House made a little bigger. Although the burgers and fries were very good... the only things you have to choose from are burgers, fries and hot dogs... and of course beverages. I would like to see things like chicken tenders or chicken sandwiches added.

...I loved the mist tree and the fountains... I was having to hold myself back from running through the fountains... being 28 I would have looked silly w/ all of the 10 year olds. ha ha We definitely plan on eating at the Grove sometime soon...

I'm 33. And it didn't stop me! Yippee! Next time, I'll even go in my bathing suit. This is a winner. Ate at the grove today... great place, food was OK. Price was about what you'd expect. I notice some key strategic decisions that went into the place: bum-proof benches (you can sit on them, but you can't lay on them), sharp, pointy holly bushes (or whatever they are) on the hill side, around the parking entrance (you can admire the beauty - but don't think about rolling down the hill - ouch!), st. Augustine in the shade, some other turf-grass in the areas with more sun, and the segregated dog runs (big dogs in one pen, little dogs in the other.) The "participatory" fountains (that you can run, play, get wet in) are great addition.

I'm 33. And it didn't stop me! Yippee! Next time, I'll even go in my bathing suit. This is a winner. Ate at the grove today... great place, food was OK. Price was about what you'd expect. I notice some key strategic decisions that went into the place: bum-proof benches (you can sit on them, but you can't lay on them), sharp, pointy holly bushes (or whatever they are) on the hill side, around the parking entrance (you can admire the beauty - but don't think about rolling down the hill - ouch!), st. Augustine in the shade, some other turf-grass in the areas with more sun, and the segregated dog runs (big dogs in one pen, little dogs in the other.) The "participatory" fountains (that you can run, play, get wet in) are great addition.

Don't worry, once it's a bit warmer I plan on going there in shorts and flip flops and taking a run through the fountains! ha ha

... I was having to hold myself back from running through the fountains... being 28 I would have looked silly w/ all of the 10 year olds.

That's the advantage of having a small child with you. When my daughter was younger, I had no inclination of holding myself back. I brought my inner child (not that far from the surface) on acting my child's age.

Bring a friend's kid, having a kid with you gives you Carte' Blanche' on doing all sorts of incredibly stupid things in order to have fun.

Bring a friend's kid, having a kid with you gives you Carte' Blanche' on doing all sorts of incredibly stupid things in order to have fun.

All of my friends are big homos like me... ha ha... no kids! That's OK... once it's warmer out I am so in those fountains! :D

All of my friends are big homos like me... ha ha... no kids! That's OK... once it's warmer out I am so in those fountains! :D

LOL.

That reminds me, I need to see what my friend thought of the park, he took his kid (2y.o) to the park.

Driving by it after yesterday's game, it just seemed like it was packed. Even saw a few joggers doing a few laps.

Does anyone know how they are going to make the lake or part of the lake frozen for ice skating in the winter? Do they actually freeze the lake or put something over it which is then covered in ice?

Edited by HtownWxBoy