Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

We went to The Grove a number of weeks ago. I really liked the aesthetics of the interior, the music, and the crowd. I was less impressed with the menu (just couldn't find anything I wanted), and the service was quite poor. We had a party of 8 and they put us in the "party room," which was their overflow room. The room had a banquet hall feel (not very decorated, no music piped in, very detached from the rest of the restaurant), and there was only one other large party there. Once they left, we were the only ones in the entire room. And this was with a reservation. I'm sure they will remain popular, but it isn't a place I will frequent.

Edited by travelguy_73

• 2 weeks later...
We went to The Grove a number of weeks ago. I really liked the aesthetics of the interior, the music, and the crowd. I was less impressed with the menu (just couldn't find anything I wanted), and the service was quite poor. We had a party of 8 and they put us in the "party room," which was their overflow room. The room had a banquet hall feel (not very decorated, no music piped in, very detached from the rest of the restaurant), and there was only one other large party there. Once they left, we were the only ones in the entire room. And this was with a reservation. I'm sure they will remain popular, but it isn't a place I will frequent.

Drove by the park this weekend and this baby is going to be ready to roll on the 13th of April. Last week I was under the impression that they would not make the deadline, but it looks like they already poured in the concrete for the lake and made headway on the landscaping, awesome!

Edited by CasaNova

Drove by the park this weekend and this baby is going to be ready to roll on the 13th of April. Last week I was under the impression that they would not make the deadline, but it looks like they already poured in the concrete for the lake and made headway on the landscaping, awesome!

Yeah, I noticed the kids area where the water shoots up is running already. I think it's gonna be pretty cool and will hopefully exceed our high expectations.

I drove by today and I noticed the lake was still dry but it looked like it was almost ready. It's going to look so much cooler once they fill it with water!

Do you think anybody will actually bring boats to the RC boat pond? I am pretty sure they said there was going to be an area to sail model boats. I don't know anybody who has one but I think it sounds like it would be fun.

There is water in the lake now (not full though).

I think they will have boats you can rent to use, or something to that degree.

The water "shoots" and mist tree have been working for awhile, I think they are just working out the kinks with the water "shoots".

There is water in the lake now (not full though).

I think they will have boats you can rent to use, or something to that degree.

To be a little more clear, I think that "lake" is just for model boats. (it's referred to as the "model boat basin" on the DiscoGreen Map)

Paddling around in a life-sized boat in a lake that size could get old pretty quick. ^_^

Right, that's what I meant by the "RC boat pond"...

I think the map had a section of the pond dedicated to model boats or something. I saw a guy once with an RC sailboat in Hermann Park and I thought that was pretty cool.

I have walked by Discovery Green many times to and from TC, and I am anxious to when this park opens. I am not worried about the homeless as I thought Root memorial Sqaure would have been in disrepair by now and it still looks amazing.

Root Memorial is quite attractive. They've done a pretty good job of maintaining it so far. I wonder if it's the city itself or the Toyota Center staff who maintains it. I also like that a lot of local youth groups make it a point to play ball there at different times during the week. Keeps the park relevant during non-Rockets games.

Paddling around in a life-sized boat in a lake that size could get old pretty quick.

I meant renting RC boats not ones to actually paddle in. (I can just see a 200+ man in a paddle boat trying to paddle but not going anywhere because it is to shallow)

Also, the entire lake will not be used for the RC boats, just a section (they actually have a bumper or something that is right under the water to make sure the boats don't go outside of the RC boat area)

The other day it looked liked Buffalo Bayou. Some dirt fell off into the lake, and it was a bit ugly (lol).

Edited by Daniepwils

you should volunteer for the post art car parade party...they'll even let you in.

which reminds me, even though it's a month away, I park at my office for streetside action of the parade along Allen Pkwy. Room for 3 in the car. Maybe a HAIF daylight-hours event.

Edited by crunchtastic

I went down there yesterday... it might not be natural, but I would have preferred if they made the lake a little more blue and less like bayou water.

They should dye it green on St. Patrick's day like they do in the Chicago River.

Edited by wernicke

Who all has been? What are your general impressions? I will be in Houston for part of the summer before traveling to NY and then on to Europe. I want to plunk around DT for a day and DG is definately on my list.

m. B)

I'm sorry to be such a downer but I've never been too excited about this park. I mean, it is an attraction and it is a nice place and it is downtown but its just a park! I can get everything this park offers by going to Herman Park or other parks throughout the city. I'm more excited about the Houston Pavilions and the possible stores that will be opening on the Main Street front

Edited by tierwestah

I'm sorry to be such a downer but I've never been too excited about this park. I mean, it is an attraction and it is a nice place and it is downtown but its just a park! I can get everything this park offers by going to Herman Park or other parks throughout the city. I'm more excited about the Houston Pavilions and the possible stores that will be opening on the Main Street front

Fair enough, but all of downtown can't be like Houston Pavilions. It's nice to have a mix of uses. I think a park is a great complement to all the other development downtown.

I can understand where you're coming from. The main differences between the parks you have mentioned and DG is that it is more easily accessable from the immediate surroundings, and in turn, can easily go to other amenities that may not like (such as food). Otherwise, I do see your point, but this park is different from others.

The biggest thing about the park is that it offers amenities that will make the eastern side of downtown more palatable not only to developers but potential residents as well. It also offers a more pleasing connection to the convention center and the convention center hotel from the core of downtown. One of the complaints that I've heard from some visitors (especially conventioneers) is that walking from the Hilton Americas to Main Street (for example) made them feel isolated. Hopefully, DG will be one of a handful of steps that will erradicate that notion over time.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Well yeah anything beats those ugly parking lots so I guess I can't be too choosy. I guess i'm more turned on by flashy things like the screens in Victory Plaza and LA LIVE, even though Victory Plaza is mainly Concrete and really not intended to preserve green space.

And Sub, you may be right

Edited by tierwestah

Maybe the Grove still needs to Grow into it's Groove! :D

Regarding the Grove.

My fiance went to The Grove for lunch today and was totally blown away by how terrible the service was handled. She went with 2 other coworkers, and for a party of 3 it took them 2 hours to get out of there. She said the wait staff was unbelievably bad.

"Seriously, it was a zero out of ten on customer service."

But you don't have to grow through DG to get to Main Street.

Now it depends WHERE on main street you plan on going. If you're going to the 800 block and lower, then you'll cut across there or skirt the edge and go through the Center shops. Same thing with going to the Strip House or Mortons. If you're going to Vick and Anthony's, you have to go through the park.

There really isn't a real to go up Dallas to go to main street, unless you're going to another hotel (hyatt, Doubletree, Marriott) or (in the future) HP.