Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

Anyone know what the average price of a dinner entree is like at the Grove? I'm thinkin about taking someone there tonight.

Sounds like it may be busy - and not the cheapest:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ews/rsv5012.asp

Citysearch rates it $$ ($21-30)

http://houston.citysearch.com/profile/4628.../the_grove.html

You can always park on the street.

Yep - no reason to pay for evening parking downtown, imo

They should have a push-cart version of a taco truck in Discovery Green (Houston's version of New York's hot dog and pretzel vendors).

Definitely. Just need more people walking around before the taco trucks evolve into push-carts and kiosks. Bam! Seriously though, that's a wicked idea.

Most likely because they are working on the pond there.

I'm sure that you are right, it did look recessed, although from above, my depth perception wasn't the best, and I'm not entirely familiar with the layout. It's good to see it come together though, since they started, it has just been a giant mud pit bordered by skanky parking lots.

Now we'll have a nice park bordered by skanky parking lots. Oh well, one block at a time, I suppose....

Took my fiance to The Grove Restaurant on Friday. Nice atmosphere and the food was pretty good but not for that price. We both ordered the Pork Chops. I didn't get the amount of food that i thought I should have for the amount of money. Mine was good but they burned my girlfriend's. They ended up taking hers off the bill so it worked out.

Took my fiance to The Grove Restaurant on Friday. Nice atmosphere and the food was pretty good but not for that price. We both ordered the Pork Chops. I didn't get the amount of food that i thought I should have for the amount of money. Mine was good but they burned my girlfriend's. They ended up taking hers off the bill so it worked out.

I thought the rule of thumb was the more you pay, the less you get?

But at least it tasted good, right? Thanks for the review.

I looked out a window from my office at 5 Houston Center today, and it looked like they planted several acres of sod over the main greenspace recently, although the part of the park closest to the ballpark (north?) is still very torn up.

That is where the lake is going to be :)

From looking at the diagram and seeing the actual park itself, it appears that the restaurants are smaller and take up less space in the drawings, but in the actual park, the restaurants take up more space than anticipated, thus taking away park space and appearing cramped.

dtpark.jpg

How do you know that the restaurants are larger? Just curious if they posted anything about the parks dimensions.

I really don't know if they are larger. I was just saying that the restaurants appear to be taking up more space in the actual park than they do in the diagrams, thus resulting in what appears to be a more cramped space.

From looking at the diagram and seeing the actual park itself, it appears that the restaurants are smaller and take up less space in the drawings, but in the actual park, the restaurants take up more space than anticipated, thus taking away park space and appearing cramped.

dtpark.jpg

Oh, you are just hilarious! The restaurant is almost certainly no larger than 12,000 square feet, laid out on 2 levels, meaning it probably has no larger than a 6,000 square foot footprint. On the other hand, the park is in the neighborhood of 515,000 square feet. This means that the restaurant takes up about 1.17% of land. And this makes the other 509,000 square feet feel "cramped"?

Priceless! :lol:

Oh, you are just hilarious! The restaurant is almost certainly no larger than 12,000 square feet, laid out on 2 levels, meaning it probably has no larger than a 6,000 square foot footprint. On the other hand, the park is in the neighborhood of 515,000 square feet. This means that the restaurant takes up about 1.17% of land. And this makes the other 509,000 square feet feel "cramped"?

Priceless! :lol:

Look you don't have to agree with me, I was just making my own observation and stating what I perceived it to be. Also stating possibilities as to why a few others on this topic have said the park seemed cramped. I wasn't getting all technical on the actual square footage of the place vs the park. I could care less! ;)

Also consider that a significant amount of the park is still "under construction", so you don't have the full impact of what the total landscape will look like upon build out.

True Dat!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.discoverygreen.com/en/cms/?716

"One for Doc" - March 1, 2008

While Discovery Green opens offically in April 2008, Houstonians are invited to preview the park during an evening of spectacular music on March 1, 2008. The park will host a FREE concert honoring the High School for Performing and Visual Arts and Dr. Robert Morgan. The entertainment line up includes HSPVA alumni as well as

Al Jarreau and also featuring La Mafia. Click here for details.

Edited by lockmat