Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

• 2 weeks later...

It is either for the Democratic Debate this/next week or, yes the grand opening of the park.

IMO though having a huge tent cover part of the Great Lawn of the park opening is kind of odd, why not just have it on the great lawn, after all it is a park!

Also,

They are going to start bulldozing another parking lot next to the new park. It will be another office building, right in front of 5 Houston Center facing east.

DSC00376.jpg

Edited by Daniepwils

This morning I noticed helicopters landing in the parking lot on the left hand side of the GRB, it looks as if they turned that parking lot into a Helipad (there is a BIG H painted on the lot). Three helicopters so far have landed, one of which is extremely huge. (They have gone behind the GRB so I am not sure where they are now, but they have not taken off into the air again).

Kind of scary when they come in that fast and very close to my windows.

This is the fourth one:

DSC00370.jpg

Also here is a current picture of the "tent" on the new park:

DSC00374.jpg

Edited by Daniepwils

This morning I noticed helicopters landing in the parking lot on the right hand side of the GRB, it looks as if they turned that parking lot into a Helipad (there is a BIG H painted on the lot).

You mean over on the north side near the ramp?

It would be interesting if they put a heliport there. Believe it or not, Houston needs one downtown. I'm not sure what the rating is for the one on the Aquarium, but if its on solid ground, I'm sure it can support the larger shoppers.

Well, I drove by DG last night and it is very well lit and I think kinda' looks cool.

One thing that might be a bit confusing to out of towners though is that there is a restaurant named "Grooves"(The old Drexler place) on Pierce. I wonder how often that will be confused with "The Grove".

Maybe the new convention hotel they want to build next to the GRB will have a helipad.

Speaking of that, I sure hope that building (if built) is TALL - at least 40+ floors, hopefully much taller. Don't get me wrong, ANY development on that spot will be terrific, but I really think the downtown skyline, and DG could use a building in that area that is spectacular and attention grabbing from a distance. It would be like a beacon to mark the significance of the EAST END as a hot spot or as a newly 'arrived' area - kind of like what Williams tower did for Uptown.

Hey, it's no crime to dream about it.

I went down to DG today and walked around... they were having a super-fancy black tie gala in the park, complete with a red carpet and chandeliers hanging from the trees. It was early, but there was a huge wait staff meeting near The Grove. They were using the tent. Also, saw a couple of very attractive, very well-dressed (complete with bling) older ladies walking up.

Also, they were having a helicopter convention at GRB... seemed interesting.

The area looks nice, I like the colored art structure in the middle. The surface lots on the north side of the park kind of suck though.

Yeah they kicked me out but at least they were nice about it. It's going to be nice, especially when the pond is complete, and leaves grow in on some of the non evergreen trees (I saw a few).

I'm also looking forward to walking up the small hill near the garage for a better view of the skyline. I think I read something about them having a few sculpted hills featuring skyline views. That's always appreciated in such a flat city.

Thanks for the photos. I too got kicked out of the park when i was in town on Saturday night. There was some event going on but i was still able to drive around and take a look at all the lighting effects of the park. It was really starting to come together. I hope they put blue lights in the pond when complete to hi-light the view of the pond at night . :)