Central Houston Cadillac At 2520 Main St.

dbigtex56

This is disturbing. First F-Bar then this, and I know there have been similar incidents in that area lately, all make me wonder what is going on in Mid-town / Montrose. This neighborhood is supposed to be "improving." These recent heinous crimes certainly don't support that notion.

This is disturbing. First F-Bar then this, and I know there have been similar incidents in that area lately, all make me wonder what is going on in Mid-town / Montrose. This neighborhood is supposed to be "improving." These recent heinous crimes certainly don't support that notion.

I've never been one to think that certain areas of town are immune to heinous crimes. That's why it kind of irks me when I hear people on tv say "I wouldn't expect something like this to happen here" in response to crime in their neighborhoods. This could've happened in any neighborhood, even River Oaks. It may be less likely to happen there, but certainly not impossible.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 2

I've never been one to think that certain areas of town are immune to heinous crimes. That's why it kind of irks me when I hear people on tv say "I wouldn't expect something like this to happen here" in response to crime in their neighborhoods. This could've happened in any neighborhood, even River Oaks. It may be less likely to happen there, but certainly not impossible.

River Oaks was where that guy barbecued his girlfriend's body, right? I seem to remember that because it was also a local story.

JLWM, I agree no place is immune. I had a client who was followed home to his River Oaks driveway and mugged for his Rolex. Thankfully, he suffered only a broken finger. That was about 20 years ago. His young daughter was in the car too but was not harmed. FWIW, he was driving a Maserati Quattroporte.

Perhaps the media reporting has just been more "robust" lately regarding this neighborhood since it is considered up-and-coming. Two things may also add to that: The possibility that the F-Bar robbery and murder may have been a hate crime and the fact Mr. Stuart was a prominent business man.

If statistics (and we all know about statistics) show this area has an above average crime rate I would be a bit surprised since there is a significant street life and many businesses and residences have surveillance cameras. Then again, maybe the bad guys don't care about such things.

JLWM, I agree no place is immune. I had a client who was followed home to his River Oaks driveway and mugged for his Rolex. Thankfully, he suffered only a broken finger. That was about 20 years ago. His young daughter was in the car too but was not harmed. FWIW, he was driving a Maserati Quattroporte.

Perhaps the media reporting has just been more "robust" lately regarding this neighborhood since it is considered up-and-coming. Two things may also add to that: The possibility that the F-Bar robbery and murder may have been a hate crime and the fact Mr. Stuart was a prominent business man.

If statistics (and we all know about statistics) show this area has an above average crime rate I would be a bit surprised since there is a significant street life and many businesses and residences have surveillance cameras. Then again, maybe the bad guys don't care about such things.

Both of these shootings took place in HPD Central one Division. . . . . Montrose

Every month HPD Central one and Two release a crime stat report. Each street and it's block number are listed as well as the type of crime listed in a booklet that is given to anyone who attends the Pip ( Positive Interaction Police program) First Tuesday meeting each month---7 pm.

Reading over those HPD reports, Montrose doesn't have above average crime --- till the FBar shooting there had been no aggravated assault in that area in February. The last previous murder was at Blur bar? 3 or 4 years ago?Now does Montrose have a kazillion % increase?

There does seem to be something going on where Montrose meets Midtown. I don't know what it is but I hope the HPD can get on top of it.

I live one street away. Other then the media circus and police tape that lasted about a day, everyone is still out walking their dogs late in to the evening, going about their business. I think most people are assuming he was targetted for some reason. Hopefully the truth will come out.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Joesph Stewart, Owner Of Stewart Cadillac Murdered
  • 2 weeks later...

I live in the building in this picture.

This lot has been empty since early summer (but mostly full during the height of Covid). The lot on Milan is also empty. Even the main facility on Main and McGowen is less full. I have no idea as to longer term plans here, though Cadillac has stated a national intension to significantly reduce the number of dealerships.

• Like 3

I heard that all of their land is and has been for sale for awhile, but they want like $125/sf. 

10 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I live in the building in this picture.

This lot has been empty since early summer (but mostly full during the height of Covid). The lot on Milan is also empty. Even the main facility on Main and McGowen is less full. I have no idea as to longer term plans here, though Cadillac has stated a national intension to significantly reduce the number of dealerships.

Yep, Cadillac is offering to buy out franchises as part of the shift to electric-only vehicles by the end of the decade. I would imagine that this dealership in particular does really well on vehicle maintenance, which electric vehicles need significantly less of. 

Owner also bought the Kirby Mansion a few years ago http://swamplot.com/midtown-kirby-mansion-sold-to-midtown-car-dealership-owner/2018-08-20/

• Like 2

While back I talked with 2 Central Cadillac workers, they said they would be moving into the new south loop dealership summer of 2022. Reason I started this was for future potential uses for the 2 maybe 3 lots they own around here. The main dealership land is pretty good size.

• Like 4

On 10/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, wilcal said:

Strictly a rumor, but I'm told that Central Houston Auto payed an exorbitant amount for this property, thinking that a high rise might be built there.
Unfortunately for them, TXDOT revealed its I-45 expansion plans soon afterward which could create a construction nightmare, and the property value plummeted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Strictly a rumor, but I'm told that Central Houston Auto payed an exorbitant amount for this property, thinking that a high rise might be built there.
Unfortunately for them, TXDOT revealed its I-45 expansion plans soon afterward which could create a construction nightmare, and the property value plummeted.

A couple things wrong with that rumor:

(1) TXDoT’s plans were well known before Central Houston Auto bought this property.

(2) the effect of TXDoT’s plans on this property is probably positive, not negative.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 7

• 8 months later...

I talked with an employee of Central Cadillac as I rode by. Asked him when they are moving out to the new south loop location. He said they should move spring' 23. I then asked him what was to become of the land and building. He said he thought it might become a nightclub. Cool mid century building that is fairly large and has 2 parking areas that they own. I could actually see that happening until something grander where to come along and whoever owns the property gets a fat payday. I think it's ideal for high rise apartments in the long run.

• Like 6

On 6/25/2022 at 5:53 PM, hindesky said:

I talked with an employee of Central Cadillac as I rode by. Asked him when they are moving out to the new south loop location. He said they should move spring' 23. I then asked him what was to become of the land and building. He said he thought it might become a nightclub. Cool mid century building that is fairly large and has 2 parking areas that they own. I could actually see that happening until something grander where to come along and whoever owns the property gets a fat payday. I think it's ideal for high rise apartments in the long run.

Mixed feelings about this. Yes, it's a MCM building with the potential for being attractive - but does Midtown really need another nightclub? A matter of opinion, to be sure. 
I'm disappointed that the McGowen rail station is still not living up to its potential. Immediately adjacent to the stops there's an abandoned building, parking lots, an underused park, a bar, and the Cadillac dealership (soon to be nightclub). Hardly a destination for those riding the train.
Granted, there is an apartment building adjacent to the southbound station, but it could be so much more. I absolutely agree that another high rise on the Cadillac site would be welcome. 
Here's hoping that someday the plans for restaurants on McGowen between Main and Travis, and the food court in the former Greensheet building become reality. It's been almost 20 years since the rail started operating. I hope it doesn't take another 20 for people-friendly development to become reality.

• Like 6