Cohen Building: Retail Center At 2925-2935 Main St.

drey00

seems to me that asking CVS to change their business model in this location is just ludicrous. If anything, those pictures just provide evidence that CVS does what is smart given a particular location and demographic.

in this particular location, they are after the drive by traffic on Fannin and possibly Elgin. There really isn't much happening on Main. I used to work in that HCC building across the street from it. That building is the main source of foot traffic in the area come lunch time. Other than that, what good is the storefront facing the train? Zero and it make no business sense.

it's unfortunate, but CVS moving in is a good thing for the area and a slap in the face to folks that want rapid change---it's not going to be urban Chicago overnight. Houstonians are more to blame for having crappy ordinances/codes on the books and also being too lazy to walk a few blocks for anything. CVS is only serving the masses with this design. Why blame them? it's the majority of Houstonians that PREFER and basically MANDATE drive up service.

• Like 1

it's unfortunate, but CVS moving in is a good thing for the area and a slap in the face to folks that want rapid change---it's not going to be urban Chicago overnight. Houstonians are more to blame for having crappy ordinances/codes on the books and also being too lazy to walk a few blocks for anything. CVS is only serving the masses with this design. Why blame them? it's the majority of Houstonians that PREFER and basically MANDATE drive up service.

the next couple of blocks north on main has street facing buildings and the only new biz is the Wheeler Watch shop who was forced out of their old location by METRO. all the other structures are empty. not sure who is CRAVING for street front properties because there are numerous that are abandoned .

the next couple of blocks north on main has street facing buildings and the only new biz is the Wheeler Watch shop who was forced out of their old location by METRO. all the other structures are empty. not sure who is CRAVING for street front properties because there are numerous that are abandoned .

yep, i often thought a little lunchtime shop would do well there just capitalizing on the HCC tenants or even another Vietnamese place...and still no takers. I just don't see the demand for walk up establishments right now.

And this is coming from a guy that would walk the nine blocks to work everyday even through summer. I would be a proponent, but I know I'm in the minority. So no reason to picket CVS in my opinion. They're just doing business.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

Thanks. I know that developers want to make money and its not always possible to save every old structure, but Bob Schultz, who opened the Continental Club and developed the surrounding venues along with Mid Main, is as responsible for this part of Midtown as anyone, and he has provided a master plan on  how a developer that is savvy, can mix old and new, to help create that fabric, and hopefully a successful neighborhood. I hope that Caydon realizes this also. There is a plethora of old interesting structures in Midtown just waiting for their rebirth. A great example is Mongoose and Cobra, or 13 degrees Celsius. It just takes someone who is thinking about the big picture. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Thanks. I know that developers want to make money and its not always possible to save every old structure, but Bob Schultz, who opened the Continental Club and developed the surrounding venues along with Mid Main, is as responsible for this part of Midtown as anyone, and he has provided a master plan on  how a developer that is savvy, can mix old and new, to help create that fabric, and hopefully a successful neighborhood. I hope that Caydon realizes this also. There is a plethora of old interesting structures in Midtown just waiting for their rebirth. A great example is Mongoose and Cobra, or 13 degrees Celsius. It just takes someone who is thinking about the big picture. 

If you are thinking of the Greensheet building, it would have been renovated two years ago if we weren't in a horrible office market. The Central Square building does not look like it's brimming with tenants and that is much closer to the type of product that the average Houston office user desires. It could be a great incubator but we need to wait for the market to absorb the other ones first. If the 600-unit PMRG tower rumor at that spot is real, then it was a bad market plus a perfect location (for other uses) that killed Greensheet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

If you are thinking of the Greensheet building, it would have been renovated two years ago if we weren't in a horrible office market. The Central Square building does not look like it's brimming with tenants and that is much closer to the type of product that the average Houston office user desires. It could be a great incubator but we need to wait for the market to absorb the other ones first. If the 600-unit PMRG tower rumor at that spot is real, then it was a bad market plus a perfect location (for other uses) that killed Greensheet.

No, not at all. I'm actually talking about some of the small one and two story structures that are just lying dormant or underutilized that would make great restaurants bars, stores, service oriented businesses, boutiques, florist, barber shops, coffee houses, donut shops, whatever. Just little neglected buildings that would add character to a block of new glass and steel mid and high rise buildings. People like a comfort zone. I'm not talking about Greensheet sized buildings, however they should be repurposed also. It so much more efficient to salvage whats already here than to tear it down and start over in some cases. Just work with what we have. 

There are plenty of vacant lots for new development.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I'm actually talking about some of the small one and two story structures that are just lying dormant or underutilized that would make great restaurants bars, stores, service oriented businesses, boutiques, florist, barber shops, coffee houses, donut shops, whatever.

In particular, I hope the block that houses the Wheeler Watch Clinic (and formerly the Venture-N) can be revitalized. It's a little jewel of a building. I only hope that our absurd parking requirements can be waived to allow this to happen.

Wheeler.PNG

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

In particular, I hope the block that houses the Wheeler Watch Clinic (and formerly the Venture-N) can be revitalized. It's a little jewel of a building. I only hope that our absurd parking requirements can be waived to allow this to happen.

Wheeler.PNG

I agree totally. Short of a major renovation, they should be grandfathered for parking.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...