Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Who is this "Mrs. Garcia"?

Yes, Mrs. Garcia is the Harris County Commissioner for Pct. 2 and El Franco Lee has Pct. 1. The proposed Dynamo site falls in both these districts but apparently Garcia is the one that contacted the Eastwood Civic Association.

The email I rec'd asked that residents appear in tomorrow's (Tuesday 2-9-10) Commissioner's Court session to be "heard".

From what I understand, the county has yet to get on board monetarily for the Dynamo downtown location.

As to the need for a new city/county inmate processing center, I thought that the CJC built downtown about 10 years ago was supposed to have an inmate processing center in it.

As to the need for a new city/county inmate processing center, I thought that the CJC built downtown about 10 years ago was supposed to have an inmate processing center in it.

The CJC is a courthouse, not a jail. The CJC consolidated all criminal courts, county and district clerks, and the DA's office in one building. There is no jail within the CJC, though it is connected to the jails by tunnel, improving security.

Not in my backyard. From what I hear, the Dynamo's have it pretty good where they're at. I think they're just jealous they don't have their own MMP, Reliant, or Toyota Center. Sorry, but the truth is, although it's impressive to hear that pro soccer has 17,000 fans at their games and all of these tailgaters that might buy a 99 cent bag of ice at the gas station before the game, I don't personally know a single person in the United States that's actually watched a pro soccer game in person or on TV...let alone anyone that wants to live or do business next to a soccer stadium. My high school football stadium in Texas City held over 10,000 people. Maybe they should get their own stadium next to downtown Houston, and it will bring an economic boom to the area due to snowcone sales?

Sorry...too much coffee this morning. :P

not sure what you've been hearing, but the Dynamo do not have it pretty good where they are. UH is pretty much in control, take most of the profits from concessions and parking (which are both terrible), and cause schedule issues even when the Cougs are not in season. When football does start, the lines are on the field, which is usually in terrible shape. Given its their (UH) home, they can't do much about it. I remember back in 2007, they had to play a tournament match in College Station because UH would not allow a weekday game during the semester (again reasonable, since it is their school). the attendance was 4k for a weekday, most of that people driving in from Houston.

they were back to back Champions in 2006 and 2007, and are consistently one of the better teams in the league. they deserve a soccer-specific stadium where they can have some control. i'm not sure how you don't know a single person who would be interested in soccer, especially if you live in the east end.

not sure what you've been hearing, but the Dynamo do not have it pretty good where they are. UH is pretty much in control, take most of the profits from concessions and parking (which are both terrible), and cause schedule issues even when the Cougs are not in season. When football does start, the lines are on the field, which is usually in terrible shape. Given its their (UH) home, they can't do much about it. I remember back in 2007, they had to play a tournament match in College Station because UH would not allow a weekday game during the semester (again reasonable, since it is their school). the attendance was 4k for a weekday, most of that people driving in from Houston.

they were back to back Champions in 2006 and 2007, and are consistently one of the better teams in the league. they deserve a soccer-specific stadium where they can have some control. i'm not sure how you don't know a single person who would be interested in soccer, especially if you live in the east end.

Just when I think I've heard them all (the complaints the Dynamo fans have with UH and Robertson Stadium) another one gets added! Parking??? You have a problem parking at UH? There are THOUSANDS of spaces within a 5 minute walk of the stadium. Additionally, if you are smart enough, you'll eventually figure out you can park across Scott St. for FREE in the neighborhoods just to the South of W. Alabama St. I've done that many times and have never had a problem.

You know, if you had simply read the 2 posts before yours, you MIGHT have found the source of the rumor. Here, let me spell it out for you. First, let's link to the Chronicle article on the possible new location for the stadium...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6837680.html

Now, let's open the article to see if there are any quotes from Mayor Parker. Ahh, here it is...

WHOA! Mystery solved! The source of the rumor is a quote in the city's largest newspaper!

As for your belief that an inmate processing facility would fly under the radar, is a $245 million facility that has been discussed by the City and County and in the media for the last 10 years, AND had its very own bond referendum (which the voters rejected) in 2007 not enough publicity for you?

Harris County Capital Improvements June 2007

November 2007 Bond Election

Believe me, I read the article a long time ago. Mystery NOT solved for me. I guess it's just over my head.

The article simply says:

ā€œThe public is aware that we're looking at potential sites for an independent crime lab operation. We're looking for potential sites for a joint city-county (inmate) processing facility,ā€

The "alarming email" I received, essentially says:if you don't fight to get a soccer stadium built next door to your home in EaDo you'll get a JAIL and vagrants and crime and economic collapse.

The email might be 100% true, but I personally think it is complete BS and was written as a political scare tactic. But that's simply my opinion...for what little it is worth. ;)

And as for BRINGING vagrants, crime, and economic collapse, I take it this person has never actually been to EaDo. :lol: (just kidding...well...not really)

Rusty, you seem to be mixing the Chronicle article and the email. I have not received the email, and would certainly agree that if they are threatening a jail if a stadium is not built, then it is a scare tactic. While Parker is correct that the City is looking to build a joint inmate processing facility, she is merely showing her lack of knowledge on the subject when she says that they are looking for a site. They already have a preferred site. They are simply lacking funds.

I believe a stadium in that area would generally be a positive for the area. Moving it to the Galleria, however, will not bring a jail. Feel free to tell the email sender to stuff it. They are jumping wildly to wrong conclusions.

Just when I think I've heard them all (the complaints the Dynamo fans have with UH and Robertson Stadium) another one gets added! Parking??? You have a problem parking at UH? There are THOUSANDS of spaces within a 5 minute walk of the stadium. Additionally, if you are smart enough, you'll eventually figure out you can park across Scott St. for FREE in the neighborhoods just to the South of W. Alabama St. I've done that many times and have never had a problem.

i usually ride my bike, but i do park for free when i drive and have learned to cut through small streets on the way out. i was complaining about the pain of the ass it was to get out, not the fees. compared to parking downtown for Rockets or Astros games where everyone is headed in a different direction and its no problem getting out. i have often heard the suburbanites complaining about how hard it is to get to 45, because they all go the same way. but this is what the average fan that comes out every once and a while has to deal with, cause they don't know any better.

Rusty, you seem to be mixing the Chronicle article and the email. I have not received the email, and would certainly agree that if they are threatening a jail if a stadium is not built, then it is a scare tactic. While Parker is correct that the City is looking to build a joint inmate processing facility, she is merely showing her lack of knowledge on the subject when she says that they are looking for a site. They already have a preferred site. They are simply lacking funds.

I believe a stadium in that area would generally be a positive for the area. Moving it to the Galleria, however, will not bring a jail. Feel free to tell the email sender to stuff it. They are jumping wildly to wrong conclusions.

I didn't mean to mix the two, but when a couple of others posted above about a jail being built on the site, they were referring to an email from a person that apparently DID turn that obscure, one line from the Chron article into a threat which I felt was BS. I went back and read the Chron article twice...I still can't find a line that says anything about putting a jail on the site if we don't get the stadium. But the email worked...it really seems to have lit a fire under some people to push for the stadium to get built here. I don't like that.

And it was BS after all. The same person that turned the one small quote in the Chron article into a scary email, sent out another email saying that Garcia says the County has NO plans on building a "JAIL" or inmate processing facility on the site.

I really do hope that it does bring good things to EaDo. I'm just being selfish because I don't want to live right next door to a stadium...I don't care if it's soccer, baseball, or basketball. We'll probably just move to another neighborhood if it turns out to be a problem. I was just hoping the immediate area would go in a different direction. That area of EaDo already has a big enough problem with loitering, litter, traffic, crime, surface lots, late night/early morning noise, etc. I can't imagine anyone would want a stadium built right next door to their home out in Katy.

But my girlfriend and I are apparently the only ones here who don't want it. So like they say, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. And if everyone in the area is so passionate about getting it, then maybe I shouldn't fight it. Considering how excited some people are about it, I'm afraid if I speak up about it too much, they'll cut the brake lines on my car. :lol:

Edited by RustyB

...I still can't find a line that says anything about putting a jail on the site if we don't get the stadium. But the email worked...it really seems to have lit a fire under some people to push for the stadium to get built here. I don't like that.

Considering how excited some people are about it, I'm afraid if I speak up about it too much, they'll cut the brake lines on my car. laugh.gif

Rusty, Let the cat read it, and then update us!

BTW, In India we don't cut brake lines, we get the ceremonial elephant to step on you...yes, and your cat. They are specially trained to do that... ą¤…ą¤šą„ą¤›ą¤¾

Rusty, Let the cat read it, and then update us!

BTW, In India we don't cut brake lines, we get the ceremonial elephant to step on you...yes, and your cat. They are specially trained to do that... ą¤…ą¤šą„ą¤›ą¤¾

I wonder how you train an elephant to step on a human?

"You! Elephant! Step on the squishy thing. Ignore the yells!"

stepping on the cat could require a tap dancing one, though.

I wonder how you train an elephant to step on a human?

"You! Elephant! Step on the squishy thing. Ignore the yells!"

stepping on the cat could require a tap dancing one, though.

training them to squish humans is the easy part, it is when the human has a pet mouse that things get scary for the handler.

I've heard that they now do a mandatory search for mice on all victims prior to their scheduled squish.

• Like 1

Nearly 1400 posts in and this stadium is no closer to development than before the first post. . . .sheeeesh!

I've got a bright idea. . .let's wait until something CONCRETE actually happens, before posting again. This thread reminds me of a bunch of dogs chasing their tails.

• Like 1

training them to squish humans is the easy part, it is when the human has a pet mouse that things get scary for the handler.

I've heard that they now do a mandatory search for mice on all victims prior to their scheduled squish.

I can see how that would be a concern for the elephant and the handlers. Then again, you would expect the guy to be restrained before the squishing.

I've seen people die in different ways, but I don't think I would be able to watch that, though.

I wonder if the elephant wears an executioner's hood?

I can see how that would be a concern for the elephant and the handlers. Then again, you would expect the guy to be restrained before the squishing.

I've seen people die in different ways, but I don't think I would be able to watch that, though.

I wonder if the elephant wears an executioner's hood?

How many different ways have you seen people die? Should we be worried?

Anyhow, if an elephant crushes someone, can we consider that a CONCRETE happening and therefore worthy of comment?

Anyhow, if an elephant crushes someone, can we consider that a CONCRETE happening and therefore worthy of comment?

You must believe!

ą¤¹ą¤¾ą¤„ą„€ ą¤•ą„‹ ą¤®ą¤¾ą¤°ą¤¤ą¤¾ ą¤¹ą„ˆ

RUSTY!!!....RUSTY!!!! NOOOOO!!!!

If only we would have built the stadium....ahhh....

Edited by Hanuman

Nearly 1400 posts in and this stadium is no closer to development than before the first post. . . .sheeeesh!

I've got a bright idea. . .let's wait until something CONCRETE actually happens, before posting again. This thread reminds me of a bunch of dogs chasing their tails.

we've had plenty of discussions of 5000+ posts for projects that have never broke ground. this was on the news again last night being discussed by city counsel. nothing wrong with talking about it here.

though this thread is starting to scare me a bit. i'll be a bit weary on my next trip to india!

we've had plenty of discussions of 5000+ posts for projects that have never broke ground. this was on the news again last night being discussed by city counsel. nothing wrong with talking about it here.

though this thread is starting to scare me a bit. i'll be a bit weary on my next trip to india!

This is true, but I feel much better now that the Red put his spin on the jail rumor.

Does this mean you'll have a freak-out if you happen to see an elephant wearing a black hood?

What are you? The guy who puts innocent puppies to sleep at the pound? I think people can write anything the hell they want to about the stadium. As much as they want to. And you can go take a running jump into the middle of Lake Idiot where you belong.

The Dynamo are going to get a new stadium somewhere in Houston and it will be very cool. I just hope it's not located 30 miles from the middle of nowhere like Texas' other MLS team. (Whoever THEY are)

I really do hope that it does bring good things to EaDo. I'm just being selfish because I don't want to live right next door to a stadium...I don't care if it's soccer, baseball, or basketball. We'll probably just move to another neighborhood if it turns out to be a problem. I was just hoping the immediate area would go in a different direction. That area of EaDo already has a big enough problem with loitering, litter, traffic, crime, surface lots, late night/early morning noise, etc. I can't imagine anyone would want a stadium built right next door to their home out in Katy.

But my girlfriend and I are apparently the only ones here who don't want it. So like they say, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. And if everyone in the area is so passionate about getting it, then maybe I shouldn't fight it. Considering how excited some people are about it, I'm afraid if I speak up about it too much, they'll cut the brake lines on my car. :lol:

You are not the only one who does not want the stadium built in the EaDo location. The proximity to existing housing and lack of parking in the area will make it a nightmare. Ch. 11 mentioned investors ready to move in with restaurants and businesses. There's no reason they can't try to expand the Midtown concept to EaDo. Without the Stadium.

You are not the only one who does not want the stadium built in the EaDo location. The proximity to existing housing and lack of parking in the area will make it a nightmare.

Star of Hope housing is immediately adjacent to Minute Maid Park. Doesn't seem like a nightmare situation to me. Now, Congress Street at Chartres Street, that's another matter altogether...and there isn't even housing there. Or a stadium.

Seems to me that the Dynamo would use their bully pulpit to make sure that the area around their stadium is safe and clean. You should embrace that.

Ch. 11 mentioned investors ready to move in with restaurants and businesses. There's no reason they can't try to expand the Midtown concept to EaDo. Without the Stadium.

What investors? Where are they moving in? What kinds of restaurants and businesses are they bringing? The reports might signal an influx of club owners for all you know. ...or the reports might be unfounded rumors.

You are not the only one who does not want the stadium built in the EaDo location. The proximity to existing housing and lack of parking in the area will make it a nightmare. Ch. 11 mentioned investors ready to move in with restaurants and businesses. There's no reason they can't try to expand the Midtown concept to EaDo. Without the Stadium.

Perhaps I am missing something, but the 9 square blocks north of Texas Avenue sure look like parking to me. And, if you do not understand the attraction of a 22,000 seat stadium to restaurantuers and investors, you should probably keep your day job.

Does this mean you'll have a freak-out if you happen to see an elephant wearing a black hood?

i would probably not stick around.

back to the topic, i was flipping around last night and caught the end of the CW news, can't find it online. But they said something about Judge Emmett not being ready to talk about it, but Garcia and another councilman were behind the Stadium.

As an East End resident, I hope that the city and county stick to their guns and build it downtown. I am good friends with the President of the East End Management District, and she has been organizing citizens to put more pressure on the City and County to close this deal. We don't want to lose this stadium in our area!!

The benefits to the East End are much greater than the Galleria/ Meyerland area. This will help spur developement along the East End rail line and for the whole neighborhood. Plus, the last thing that the Galleria needs is another major traffic burden during rush hour.

Edited by totheskies
  • Like 1

As an East End resident, I hope that the city and county stick to their guns and build it downtown. I am good friends with the President of the East End Management District, and she has been organizing citizens to put more pressure on the City and County to close this deal. We don't want to lose this stadium in our area!!

The benefits to the East End are much greater than the Galleria/ Meyerland area. This will help spur developement along the East End rail line and for the whole neighborhood. Plus, the last thing that the Galleria needs is another major traffic burden during rush hour.

The management district (and the civic associations who spread their message) need to stop

the fear mongering. By all means, encourage citizens to support the stadium. But I will not support an

organization that uses rumor, lies and scare tactics (crime! economic blight! jails!!!) to push their agenda. It's too bad, because as a white, professional, property owning new resident of the east end, I know they want me on board with the new world order. But you don't get my support by insulting my intelligence with shrill, amatuer propaganda and bad logic. (Claiming that the the Dynamo stadium will cost 'peanuts' compared to Reliant, as the ECA 'action alert' stated, does nothing to advance the argument that the new deal is good one. In fact all that did was

remind me how much greedy NFL owner have ruined pro football for me-- not a smart thing when trying to get me to support a deal for

another sports team owner. ) FWIW, my opposition is philosophical in that I oppose any public funding for privately

owned stadia--not land, not money, not anything. But that ship has sailed, and since the city already commiteed to the deal, just build the thing already. I do agree that the east end location is best.

• Like 5