Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

If they're still charging the stadium tax, what is the money being used for?

The tax revenue is being used to pay back the bond debt that was used to pay for Enron Field, Reliant Stadium and Toyota Center. We'll be paying that for quite a while.

If I understand correctly, we're still paying for the debt incurred for Astrodome seating "improvements" that Bud Adams demanded back in the late 80's.

Just like most consumers, governments don't save up cash for big ticket items...it's credit cards/bonds, baby!

Little, I don't get it! Do you know how many 75th birthday parties I've been to recently? ...Sheeesh, you can make one of these three or four times a week - BUT, a soccer stadium in your own neighborhood? Now, that's something special, so make it a priority, be a good neighbor, and help bring it home.

LOL...of course you are correct but I gotta tell you, the ribs and brisket helped to buffer my feelings of guilt for not being at the rally.

The ice cold Shiner helped too. ;>)

LOL...of course you are correct but I gotta tell you, the ribs and brisket helped to buffer my feelings of guilt for not being at the rally.

The ice cold Shiner helped too. ;>)

Sounds like a really good time, and Happy 75th Birthday to whom ever! You know that in India, we do not eat red meat...But I came here over 25 years ago ( Legally I might add ) to be a Texan, and enjoy the American Way. My family and I have adapted well, and yes, the bar-b-q sounds delicious. Shiner Bock is very good beer!

So, in my book you're excused. See you at the next party!

Bob Allen on Channel 13 just said that per a source "inside City Hall",the reason Dynamo Stadium did not get done sooner was because El Franco Lee

and Mayor Bill White did not "get along".

I just could not understand why Lee had not put the vote on CC agenda. I guess it makes sense now.

I say we fry them both.

haven't seen anything in Chron or local news sources. anyone heard anything?

It was actually the lead story on Ch. 13 at 6 pm last night. Miya Shay was there and basically, HSA voted to consider the possibility of being the manager/landlord for the stadium. It should be on KTRK website. Boils down to more waiting games.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody else hear something about Mayor Parker's positive remarks regarding the stadium? It was along the lines that it'll be built.

Not sure where my friend heard this but was trying to see if anything more concrete was said.

Edited by JJVilla

Authority Likely to Join Dynamo Stadium Project

FOX 26 Sports has learned that a task force will recommend the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority get involved in the negotiations to help build the Houston Dynamo a new stadium in downtown Houston, if certain conditions are met by Tuesday.

The source did not identify those conditions.

The task force, made up of members of the authority, was assigned on March 1 to consider the request by the City of Houston and Harris County to take an active role in the negotiations.

The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority will have a public meeting of its task force to finalize its stance Tuesday.

The Sports Authority will get involved if the full board votes for the task force's recommendation and if Harris County Commissioners Court and Houston City Council also give it a thumbs up.

The Sports Authority will consider the issue at a full board meeting Thursday.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/100319-authority-close-to-joining-dynamo-stadium-project

The article also mentions how exactly the Sports Authority "will become actively involved", "if all those things happen".

Details are sketchy, but it appears Harris County will join an East End tax increment reinvestment zone and contribute $10 million toward the stadium project, David Turkel, director of the county's Community Services Department, told reporter Chris Moran.

http://blogs.chron.com/houstonpolitics/2010/03/a_deal_on_a_stadium_for_the_dy.html

Edited by Coaster

Details are sketchy, but it appears Harris County will join an East End tax increment reinvestment zone and contribute $10 million toward the stadium project, David Turkel, director of the county's Community Services Department, told reporter Chris Moran.

http://blogs.chron.c...for_the_dy.html

I'm not sure that it would be proper that they dictate WHICH charity they would be required to donate to. I already thought they contributed quite a bit to other charities?

This is a promising update and it seems like it will go forward.

Here's a full article that's a follow up to that blog post:

Chron article

Lots of details but here are the main points regarding schedule:

If the authority approves the request, City Council is expected to vote on the agreement March 31, followed by a Commissioner's Court vote expected on April 13. If all is approved as planned, the two parties would turn the land over to the Dynamo for construction on Oct. 1, and the stadium is scheduled for completion April 1, 2012, just in time for the Dynamo season to begin.

It's officially on the City agenda (http://www.houstontx...sec/agenda.html):

17. ORDINANCE approving and authorizing Interlocal Agreement between the City of Houston, HARRIS COUNTY and the HARRIS COUNTY-HOUSTON SPORTS AUTHORITY for the purpose of describing actions by the parties preliminary to the construction by the Houston Dynamo LLC. of a Public Professional Soccer Stadium on property owned by the City in Reinvestment Zone Number Fifteen, City of Houston (East Downtown TIRZ), including anticipated (1) provision of funding for certain public infrastructure improvements through the East Downtown TIRZ, (2) participation by Harris County in the East Downtown TIRZ, (3) creation by the City of two new Tax Increment Reinvestment Zones in the City, and (4) assistance by the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority in (A) negotiating a lease with the Dynamo LLC, (B ) acting as project manager during construction of the stadium, and ( C) acting as property manager following construction, all subject to additional actions to be taken and agreements to be negotiated among the parties - DISTRICT I - RODRIGUEZ"

With the County to follow on April 13th.

Dynamo Deal Tabled

Councilman Jarvis Johnson tagged it because he wants assurance that the deal would not violate clauses in its contract with the Rockets that prohibit city involvement in new facilities that would compete for events, such as concerts. The clause is in effect through 2013.
Other council members expressed support for the deal, making its passage appear relatively assured next week when it is scheduled for reconsideration.
Edited by skwatra

Council approves deal for new Dynamo stadium

The Houston City Council unanimously approved an agreement this morning that is expected to pave the way for a new professional sports stadium for the Houston Dynamo and the Texas Southern University football team.

Although some council members voiced concerns about the finances of the $95 million public/private project, many came to view the deal to be in the city's best interest.

ā€œThis is a great day for the city of Houston and a great day for Harris County,ā€ said Councilman James Rodriguez, in whose district on the east side of downtown the stadium will be built.

The next step in the process will be Tuesday at Harris County Commissioners Court when the deal has to be approved by the county.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6947815.html