Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Just found this PDF from the building company.

Has a timeline of the building, which appears to already be behind, but it should be fine.

Has the same view of the previous renderings but morre detailed of a picture. I think it looks pretty sweet.

Manhattan Construction - PDF

They don't look to be behind schedule...that's actually the timeframe for when people BID to do the work, not actually do it.

Any news on groundbreaking or has anyone been by the site recently?

It may be time to move this to the "Going Up" forum!

According to sources on BigSoccer that are close to the team's Front Office, ground breaking will take place on Saturday, January 29th.

Then there's this from Metro to add fuel to the fire...

Quote: Effective, Sunday, January 23, 2011, 50 Harrisburg/Heights will no longer operate at this stop, due to construction of the new soccer stadium and street closures.

http://http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Pdfs/ServiceChanges/Flyers_Jan_2011/50_Harrisburg.pdf

And here's fresh Stadium Renderings of what is likely the final renders, which shows a covered supporters side on the south end, sideline suites in the middle of the full 360Ā° bowl (zoom in close, you'll see the boxes), the scoreboard on the north end, and the elimination of the tower lights on the corners that we've seen in previous renders. Lighting will now likely be tucked under the sideline canopies... Enjoy!

DynamoPark.jpg

DynamoPark1.jpg

Edited by tigereye

It may be time to move this to the "Going Up" forum!

According to sources on BigSoccer that are close to the team's Front Office, ground breaking will take place on Saturday, January 29th.

Then there's this from Metro to add fuel to the fire...

And here's fresh Stadium Renderings of what is likely the final renders, which shows a covered supporters side on the south end, sideline suites in the middle of the full 360Ā° bowl (zoom in close, you'll see the boxes), the scoreboard on the north end, and the elimination of the tower lights on the corners that we've seen in previous renders. Lighting will now likely be tucked under the sideline canopies... Enjoy!

DynamoPark.jpg

DynamoPark1.jpg

Sweet that's exactly what my neighbor said, I forgot to ask her who she works for but it might be BigSoccer...

And here's fresh Stadium Renderings of what is likely the final renders,.....and the elimination of the tower lights on the corners that we've seen in previous renders. Lighting will now likely be tucked under the sideline canopies... Enjoy!

I wonder if the EaDodos (a cutesy name for those residents of that area near the stadium with the cutesy name) became involved and influenced those changes. And I'm so glad they decided to build over there. It seems like the perfect location with DT views to inspire and in an area that is ripe for a lot of excitement to harmonize with the laid-back townhouse clusters which seem to be everywhere.

And a local young man was drafted by the Dynamo. http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2011/01/dixon-happy-be-back-home

Edited by Lotus

Do the Dynamo have a contract with Aramark or Chartwell's? Just wondering if beer prices will be ridiculous. If it's decent, I might even go to a game.

You are not forced to buy a beer there to attend. Just get mildly buzzed before the game and buy a beer or two to maintain said buzz.

In addition to the flyer (previous page of this thread)...

After nearly five years of intense negotiations, the Houston Dynamo are gearing up to break ground on a long-awaited East End stadium at the end of this month.

The only remaining minor hurdle is approval of the newly created Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone 15, a public financing tool that encourages public-private partnerships and is based on increased tax revenue generated by the development of the stadium.

Harris County Commissioners Court and Houston City Council will consider the measure it next week. If all goes well, the Major League Soccer team will break ground on the new stadium Jan. 29, marking the construction of the fourth professional team venue in Houston since Minute Maid Park opened as Enron Field in 2000.

Read more: Dynamo stadium nears home stretch | Houston Business Journal

Edited by lockmat

In addition to the flyer (previous page of this thread)...

Read more: Dynamo stadium nears home stretch | Houston Business Journal

Given the fact that the Dynamo are printing flyers and Metro is rerouting bus lines in the area of the stadium, I'd say there is a chance someone knows that the TRIZ will be approved...

• Like 1

NEWS:

Dynamo CO Chris Canetti was just on radio with Glenn Davis, stated following:

A. Stadium target date opening April 5, 2012

B. Dynamo like play first 2 weeks on road, the open stadium

C. 34 suites, all located a mere 8 rows from field. (As I alluded to earlier, in rendering, suites are sandwiched in between upper & lower decks. This design likely makes lower bowl sideline seats the club seating section. Think Toyota Center)

D. TRIZ documents, which has already been agreed upon, have to be signed by city & county. Formal agreements should be done by Wednesday afternoon.

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of info but it sounds like Dynamo are going to build their stadium just east of MMP. More info later..

It's incredible that it's taken this long (that was the first post, from November 2006) to get this thing started, but I'm glad it's finally happening. Hopefully it leads to more development in that area.

In regards to EaDo Promenade, Canetti briefly mentioned he is part of a committee pushing to get this project built.

Never knew that ...but I guess it helps.

Glen Davis said they're proposing to put $3 million into the "Discovery Green area." haha. Kinda like the Upper Kirby area is "downtown," right?

Canetti also *clarified* that Jan 29 is their target date. It depends on the votes coming Tuesday. They'll know for sure Wednesday afternoon, is what I think he said.

The reason they would open up their first game few games on the road is because the stadium would not be ready. They will be on a very tight construction schedule. Fans, pray for mild rain and no hurricanes, haha.

Glen Davis said they're proposing to put $3 million into the "Discovery Green area." haha. Kinda like the Upper Kirby area is "downtown," right?

Canetti also *clarified* that Jan 29 is their target date. It depends on the votes coming Tuesday. They'll know for sure Wednesday afternoon, is what I think he said.

The reason they would open up their first game few games on the road is because the stadium would not be ready. They will be on a very tight construction schedule. Fans, pray for mild rain and no hurricanes, haha.

I was pondering their construction schedule as well. I'm sure as the deadline draws closer, they'd probably wind up doing 24hr shifts if they had to.

It's incredible that it's taken this long (that was the first post, from November 2006) to get this thing started, but I'm glad it's finally happening. Hopefully it leads to more development in that area.

The time it has taken is not all that incredible when compared to other MLS stadium projects. For example, the New York Red Bull apparently started stadium negotiations in 1996 and finally opened in 2010. Kansas City's took longer as well. When you add in the fact that the Dynamo Stadium is the only MLS stadium in an urban location, it makes the timing even less incredible. A suburban location almost certainly could have been achieved more quickly.

Edited by Houston19514

The time it has taken is not all that incredible when compared to other MLS stadium projects. For example, the New York Red Bull apparently started stadium negotiations in 1996 and finally opened in 2010. Kansas City's took longer as well. When you add in the fact that the Dynamo Stadium is the only MLS stadium in an urban location, it makes the timing even less incredible. A suburban location almost certainly could have been achieved more quickly.

Fair enough, I didn't know that about the New York stadium. I guess I've just been wanting it to be built for a long time so it seems like forever. It ended up being good timing though: with Discovery Tower, MainPlace, Embassy Suites, and the ballet building all finishing up, we need some new construction downtown. Hopefully they have a good construction cam!

• Like 1

Email from Houston Dynamo:

"We have elected to re-schedule the ceremonial groundbreaking that was tentatively planned for this Saturday. Over the next few days, we will pinpoint a new date. This does not change the timeline for construction and an April 2012 opening."

• Like 1

Barf.

Cheer up. The real stadium won't be only in black and white. ;)

I am hoping that this stadium makes an artistic statement of some kind, seeing that this area is in the early stages of a rebranding and this structure will be the big cheese of public developments there so far. They ought to enlist the talents of some of EaDo's artists for the cladding. For an area as mish-mashed and colorful in its starkness and contrast, it needs to fit.

I am hoping that this stadium makes an artistic statement of some kind, seeing that this area is in the early stages of a rebranding and this structure will be the big cheese of public developments there so far. They ought to enlist the talents of some of EaDo's artists for the cladding. For an area as mish-mashed and colorful in its starkness and contrast, it needs to fit.

I share your concerns but given management's (city, county, the team, developer or anyone else involved in this project with the decision-making authority) dismal record, I'd say we will end up with something akin to the "colorful and diverse" colors gracing the I-45/Wayside underpass.

They will make it as bland as possible.

Considering what most MLS venues look like, I'd say the Dynamo are getting an architectural statement.

Pizza Hut Park - Dallas

PizzaHutPark.jpg

BMO Field - Toronto

Toronto-BMO-Field-Soccer-Bleachers-1.jpg

PPL Park (just opened last year) - Philadelphia

philadelphia-union-ppl-park-620uw.jpg

New Dynamo Digs....

DynamoPark.jpg