Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

WHY are you posting articles written IN 1998 to bolster your argument!

Your arguments against this stadium have generally been contradictory and unsupported by facts. However, when you post 12 YEAR OLD stories in an effort to fake people out, I have to forcefully call BS.

Furthermore, look at the article again. Beyond the fear-mongering, most of it either didn't happen in Western Europe, doesn't rise above the kind of vandalism that might happen at a sports event here in the US (or in a nightclub district for that matter), or describes events officials took proper precautions against and therefore largely didn't materialize. His post would be confirmation by faint dispute, in my book.

Your arguments against this stadium have generally been contradictory and unsupported by facts. However, when you post 12 YEAR OLD stories in an effort to fake people out, I have to forcefully call BS.

Ah, Red...you're still mad because I haven't bought you that drink I promised.

I will, herewith, and herein ( Legal jargon, just for you ) , admit that there are no Hooligans, and Thugs in soccer. That's just a fairy tale, and I was trying to fake everyone out. And, my personal experience as a participant in sports for over 40 years means nothing... I'm the Helen Keller of sports. Now...let's lighten up, and enjoy the video:

http://www.metacafe....occer_hooligans

You've changed my mind - Bring it on, and let's support the Dynamo!

Edited by Hanuman

Semantics, perhaps. Clutch City Sports and Entertainment (Lessee) would sue the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority (Lessor) for breach of contract, assuming that there is in fact a clause in the lease that prohibits another venue to be built by the HCHSA that close to Toyota Center. I seem to recall that there was such a clause. Of course, the issue could be settled by negotiation of a suitable benefit to Clutch City, just as negotiations with Drayton McLane for use of his parking lots are contemplated.

EDIT: Actually, not so much semantics as Awacs completely mangled his terms.

The clause, if I remember correctly when stadium discussions first started, was that entertainment venues could not be built within a certain distance. The concern was with the Stadium would be used for concerts and take away from Toyota's events. Though they just built HOB, I wonder how they worked that out.

And I agree with him. El Franco Lee should speak up. Why is he stalling?

If I had to guess, I'd say that EaDo NIMBYs are probably whispering in his ear. The best thing that Dynamo fans can do is write letters and call in to his office...and keep it cogent, people. It'd be great if Houston could show Bellaire how to engage in post-racial political discourse.

good point, i forgot that important part. Sports Authority can't build a competitive place within a certain distance. I need to find that article.

Here is the noncompete language from the Toyota Center letter agreement:

Prior to and during the term of the NBA Club's lease of the Arena, the Sports Authority and the City, shall not, directly or indirectly, finance, subsidize, provide any incentives for, or otherwise assist any venue, including the Compaq Center (except as provided in the preceding section), which could compete with the Arena for events of a type appropriate for the Arena and generally targeted at audiences in excess of 5,000, except for the GRBCC (and any expansions thereof), Enron Field, the new Rodeo/Football stadium, and school and university facilities and except for other facilities while the same are being used during the Olympics or Pan-American Games or similar events, which the Parties agree are not and will not be considered in competition with the Arena.

Prior to and during the term of the NBA Club's lease of the Arena, the Sports Authority and the City, shall not, directly or indirectly, finance, subsidize, provide any incentives for, or otherwise assist any venue, including the Compaq Center (except as provided in the preceding section), which could compete with the Arena for events of a type appropriate for the Arena and generally targeted at audiences in excess of 5,000, except for the GRBCC (and any expansions thereof), Enron Field, the new Rodeo/Football stadium, and school and university facilities and except for other facilities while the same are being used during the Olympics or Pan-American Games or similar events, which the Parties agree are not and will not be considered in competition with the Arena.

That does look like it could be problematic.

According to Glenn's show last night and Luck, they are preparing for some meetings soon between the team, city and county. Hopefully this can get agreed upon soon and built by 2012. The favorable pressure from all but especially East End residents and continued fan support alliance is making a noticeable difference. smile.gif

That does look like it could be problematic.

I don't see it as a problem, TSU playing football there fixes it :D

(wishful thinking, I'm sure)

Unfortunately it looks like it would be a problem, because the stadium would probably try to compete to host music concerts (the Dynamo are part owned by Philip Anschutz, who owns the promotion company AEG Live) and boxing matches (they are also part owned by Oscar de la Hoya, who owns Golden Boy Productions).

Our civic club forwarded an email from Steve Parker, President of Super Neighborhood 64 & 88, Greater Eastwood, Lawndale and Wayside stating that on Saturday, 2-20 (tomorrow), there will be a Dynamo Stadium Rally........PART AS FOLLOWS

"Join the Dynamo Supporters' Alliance to show your support for economic growth in the East End

Saturday, February 20, 2010

1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Rusk & Dowling

If you are on Facebook, join the Alliance and this event!" .......

Just thought I'd pass this along, if I didn't already have other plans, I'd try to get by there myself.

Wow, didn't expect that.

I can think of many "other plans" that might take priority.

Like a 75th birthday celebration for an out of town relative.....sheesh

Little, I don't get it! Do you know how many 75th birthday parties I've been to recently? ...Sheeesh, you can make one of these three or four times a week - BUT, a soccer stadium in your own neighborhood? Now, that's something special, so make it a priority, be a good neighbor, and help bring it home.

Our civic club forwarded an email from Steve Parker, President of Super Neighborhood 64 & 88, Greater Eastwood, Lawndale and Wayside stating that on Saturday, 2-20 (tomorrow), there will be a Dynamo Stadium Rally........PART AS FOLLOWS

"Join the Dynamo Supporters' Alliance to show your support for economic growth in the East End

Saturday, February 20, 2010

1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Rusk & Dowling

If you are on Facebook, join the Alliance and this event!" .......

Just thought I'd pass this along, if I didn't already have other plans, I'd try to get by there myself.

Hey, I probably saw you there!

I was the goofy guy with the mean look on his face, wearing combat boots and cargo shorts, taking pictures. :P:P

I also learned something new...so it was a constructive visit:

http://www.amigoenergy.com/web/page.aspx?pg=company_news&ch=company_news_2

793024353_y8T75-X2.jpg

793024658_kN7Q6-X2.jpg

793025130_UgRk3-X2.jpg

793025664_5ashD-X2.jpg

793026108_bzGUj-X2.jpg

793026671_qo8EK-X2.jpg

793027145_GxF4T-X2.jpg

793027624_B4U4M-X2.jpg

793028128_6CrYQ-X2.jpg

793028624_kqiNF-X2.jpg

793029036_E3B9w-X2.jpg

Rusty B:

Great photography, and good crowd. Thanks for posting one with me in it!! Probably surprised a lot of people... but I never said I didn't play soccer - I just said I didn't like some of the fan violence. Lol!

Great location!

Thanks for coming out... the great thing about HAIF is that even when things get testy people have intelligence and sense or at least give the other side a chance to get their point across.

Edited by JJVilla

From what little I remember, the 5% tax on rental cars was put in place to build Minute Maid stadium. So I'm a little confused as to why a rental car agreement (Feb 22-26, 2010) still shows that 5% tax being charged for "stadium construction". It shows in both the notice section (see attached image) and it also shows in the cost breakdown as "TAX INCL 5% STADIUM TAX"

If they're still charging the stadium tax, what is the money being used for?

Does anyone know more about this?

post-7181-12671335507573_thumb.jpg