Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

• 1 month later...

that would be an interesting location if that was the case. I would rather have it in the area that was discussed near downtown, but this might be a good alternative.

The city and nearby residences might have a collective fit, though.

sounds like county was the one saying it should be investigated with the "at no additional taxpayer cost" label put at the end. city didn't comment, maybe by 6

edit: looks like they are talking westpark near s rice (south of galleria)

How far south is that? right near 59? or closer to Bellaire?

edit: i look down until s. rice changes names near Braeswood. Missed westpark somehow.

nm, found it. was blending in with 59

Edited by lockmat

sounds like county was the one saying it should be investigated with the "at no additional taxpayer cost" label put at the end. city didn't comment, maybe by 6

The 6 pm version sounded like they were saying 'No taxpayer money at all'. Could be a good deal if the developer and the Dynamo can satisfy each other. Great access, on the rail line (though I am not sure where the rail station is). Very interesting.

How far south is that? right near 59? or closer to Bellaire?

I think it is across S. Rice from the Sam's Club, butting up against the rail line. Maybe a block from Westpark Tollway and US 59.

Looking at the University Line map, the Bellaire Station would be at the northeast corner of the property. That would be spectacular.

http://www.metrosolutions.org/posted/1068/Univ_Align_w_Statns_11x17_v033109s.264346.pdf

Edited by RedScare

The 6 pm version sounded like they were saying 'No taxpayer money at all'. Could be a good deal if the developer and the Dynamo can satisfy each other. Great access, on the rail line (though I am not sure where the rail station is). Very interesting.

I think it is across S. Rice from the Sam's Club, butting up against the rail line. Maybe a block from Westpark Tollway and US 59.

There's a pretty big semi vacant spot there next to the powerlines. I wonder what the access is like getting there, getting on/off the freeway.

If anything, it would be easier since you have two major freeways and a tollroad that drops fairly close to there. Not to mention that you have two major rail lines with a station within walking distance.

Let's not forget that the soccer moms in the area MIGHT be thrilled about the location being so close.

ya know, i kind of like the stadiums being spread out a little bit. its not like theyre all across town from each other. I don't like the look when i see blimp shots and two or three stadiums all next to each other. Funny that if this goes through, we'd have a stadium in three of the most important parts of Houston.

I was happy to see the news today...I've been hoping they'd keep the stadium out of EaDo. I'd like to see EaDo go a different direction...more residential and maybe some new shopping areas/restaurants like in the better days of old Chinatown. We've already got ugly sprawling surface lots for Minute Maid Park, and the people that come in to Warehouse Live and Club Next that treat our street like a toilet (literally). A soccer stadium across the street? No thanks. I'd probably move as soon as construction started. ;)

I was happy to see the news today...I've been hoping they'd keep the stadium out of EaDo. I'd like to see EaDo go a different direction...more residential and maybe some new shopping areas/restaurants like in the better days of old Chinatown. We've already got ugly sprawling surface lots for Minute Maid Park, and the people that come in to Warehouse Live and Club Next that treat our street like a toilet (literally). A soccer stadium across the street? No thanks. I'd probably move as soon as construction started. ;)

While I can't say this for a fact, but if the stadium isn't built there, then it might wind up being a residential area with only enough shopping to satisfy the area population.

I will have to hunt down the east end plans, but I don't remember if a station will be in the area, but if it is, then it will turn what I mentioned above as a DENSE neighborhood.

No major shopping area will go there unless there is enough people to support it.

Chinatown died because after GRB was built, 59 turned into some sort of psychological barrier..

• Like 1

This is a much better idea than cramming another stadium downtown where it's hard to get to. Even better if it can be done without tax dollars, and it puts the screws to the people profiting off the downtown land deal.

Edited by gmac

While I can't say this for a fact, but if the stadium isn't built there, then it might wind up being a residential area with only enough shopping to satisfy the area population.

I will have to hunt down the east end plans, but I don't remember if a station will be in the area, but if it is, then it will turn what I mentioned above as a DENSE neighborhood.

No major shopping area will go there unless there is enough people to support it.

Chinatown died because after GRB was built, 59 turned into some sort of psychological barrier..

That was originally the idea, that if the stadium didn't get built in East Downtown for whatever reason, the City could ensure that the six-block site was developed as some sort of dense housing/retail. But realistically, that'd be a long time in coming. Neither the capital markets or fundamental indicators are supportive of new development right now. And as much as I wish it wasn't the case, every single apartment complex built east of 59/288 for at least the last couple of decades has had to have been subsidized in some way...and the ones that charge market rental rates still underperformed. I know that some people believe that light rail is a game changer...I don't think so. Anybody that feels so strongly about it will have numerous options available to them once the Phase II system is complete, and there's not much special about this site in that context.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

soundbound 59 and 610 you'd pass it and uturn...northbound would be easier.

Thanks, i figured it being so close to a freeway intersection that some people might have to make a u-turn.

This is a much better idea than cramming another stadium downtown where it's hard to get to. Even better if it can be done without tax dollars, and it puts the screws to the people profiting off the downtown land deal.

Actually, I think Rocket and Astros games are easy to get to compared to the Texans. Granted i'm usually right on time or late, but Texans game traffic is horrific while for the other two, not bad at all. I will admit it's not that fun getting out of the Rockets parking garage, but once out, it's fine.

• Like 1

Getting in, out and around Downtown and the surrounding areas is actually quite easy if you're familiar with the area. Plus, all those extra grid roads eases traffic congestion quite a bit. Traffic-wise, it's a much worse idea to put a new stadium smack dab in the middle of the two most heavily congested portions of 59 and 610 accessible only with a spotty suburban quality street grid.

It's still better than Pearland, I suppose, though I'm more likely to attend a game if it's near Downtown.

(Who am I kidding, I'm not likely to attend a game.)

• Like 2

This is a much better idea than cramming another stadium downtown where it's hard to get to.

It's only hard to get to if one is not familiar with the area. Believe me there are plenty of people around here who think that Greenway plaza is downtown. Ugh. Downtown is a much better location for this.

I think that would be cool...even if it's a long ways out. Right now, if I want just a couple of items from the grocery, I have to drive to Kombat Krogers. Kim Hung market is fun to visit and buy questionable items, but they don't have Bud by the case (or beer brewed this century and not covered in filth), or Kroger brand toilet paper. :lol: And the only decent food options are Huynh's, a pizza from Lucky's, and the Oh My! Pocket Pies truck for lunch...or a bike ride down to Thiem Hung's for some really good stuff.

I just don't think a stadium would bring anything to the party when it comes to development...in EaDo OR Downtown...other than maybe ANOTHER B.U.S. bar. :lol: No way soccer fans are going to be going downtown to eat or spend any money before/after a game. People don't really even do that for MM or Toyota Center games either...they come...park...watch the game...leave...in masses. Look at the Toyota Center...it's still just the lonely China Garden sitting next to it...and even it is pretty much walled out by the massive parking garage.

And I didn't believe it until I moved from Downtown to EaDo...but the GRB might as well be the Great Wall of Chinatown. I've been here several months now, and I think we've returned to downtown to eat like three times (Little Napoli's, Byrd's, Cabo's)...and DROVE all three times. We're not really any further that we used to be from those places...but they might as well be in Katy or something. Too bad they didn't build the GRB OVER the streets/sidewalks, to still allow pedestrian and auto traffic to pass through. But at least the neighborhood is quiet and there's no traffic. At least, until 2:00am, and it looks like a scene from Apocalypse Now on the streets around Club Next. :angry:

• Like 3

It's only hard to get to if one is not familiar with the area. Believe me there are plenty of people around here who think that Greenway plaza is downtown. Ugh. Downtown is a much better location for this.

People really do seem to get in/get out for the Toyota Center/MM games pretty easily. (It's those stragglers that go cruising around downtown that get annoying when you're trying to get home. :lol: )

I think the soccer stadium would have been a good way to fill up some of that dumpy no-man's-land in the SouthEast corner of Downtown...kinda between the hospitals and the Toyota Center garage, and between 59 and around LaBranch. That area sucks.

I think that would be cool...even if it's a long ways out. Right now, if I want just a couple of items from the grocery, I have to drive to Kombat Krogers. Kim Hung market is fun to visit and buy questionable items, but they don't have Bud by the case (or beer brewed this century and not covered in filth), or Kroger brand toilet paper. laugh.gif And the only decent food options are Huynh's, a pizza from Lucky's, and the Oh My! Pocket Pies truck for lunch...or a bike ride down to Thiem Hung's for some really good stuff.

I just don't think a stadium would bring anything to the party when it comes to development...in EaDo OR Downtown...other than maybe ANOTHER B.U.S. bar. laugh.gif No way soccer fans are going to be going downtown to eat or spend any money before/after a game. People don't really even do that for MM or Toyota Center games either...they come...park...watch the game...leave...in masses. Look at the Toyota Center...it's still just the lonely China Garden sitting next to it...and even it is pretty much walled out by the massive parking garage.

<snip>

One difference between Dynamo and Rockets-Astros is that we also tailgate (like the Texans fans). This means that people would hang around before and after games in the areas or at least buy last minute material from local area. I always buy my drinks and some food before games in the vicinity before our games.

But like I said before if the rumor were to hold or move forward at all, I would much rather benefit me and my area of town. Plus we're used to traffic in the Uptown area (live and work here for 8 years) and this would not be as bad as the masses around Christmas shopping.

One difference between Dynamo and Rockets-Astros is that we also tailgate (like the Texans fans). This means that people would hang around before and after games in the areas or at least buy last minute material from local area. I always buy my drinks and some food before games in the vicinity before our games.

But like I said before if the rumor were to hold or move forward at all, I would much rather benefit me and my area of town. Plus we're used to traffic in the Uptown area (live and work here for 8 years) and this would not be as bad as the masses around Christmas shopping.

Yeah, they do have games at ridiculous times, 8, 9pm...so people would have plenty of time to grab dinner before a game. It's not a huge rush, but I usually have to speed things up a litle bit when going out to astros and rockets games. But that's coming from the burbs, which I think is where a lot of the fans come from anyway.

edit: chron article - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6837680.html

Freels said he does not intend to build a competitor to the Galleria but a multi-use project akin to Mockingbird Station in Dallas. That project includes residences, restaurants, offices, movie theaters and a transit center. Two of Metro's planned light-rail lines intersect at Midway's location.

Edited by lockmat

Dynamo, developer in talks on possible SW Houston stadium site

Dynamo President Oliver Luck is in talks with a developer about building a soccer stadium on private land about a mile south of the Galleria.

The Dynamo have not abandoned plans to build on a 12 acres of city-owned land downtown, Luck said.

But the Midway Companies approached Luck recently with a concept that would put the stadium in the midst of a 30-acre mixed-used development just west of Loop 610.

http://www.chron.com...oc/6837680.html

post-6503-12646278688885.jpg

edit: sorry that i posted the same link as you, lockmat

Edited by citizen4rmptown

I just don't think a stadium would bring anything to the party when it comes to development...in EaDo OR Downtown...other than maybe ANOTHER B.U.S. bar. laugh.gif No way soccer fans are going to be going downtown to eat or spend any money before/after a game. People don't really even do that for MM or Toyota Center games either...they come...park...watch the game...leave...in masses. Look at the Toyota Center...it's still just the lonely China Garden sitting next to it...and even it is pretty much walled out by the massive parking garage.

Well, there are at least SOME people that do stay in downtown before or after a game. And, im positive that some Rockets fans hang out in Discovery Green.

And even if not a lot of people do stay in DT, at least its an option. No other area will offer what DT offers to spend the time before a game, or after.

• Like 1