Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

The Dynamo Stadium possible location helped me sell some East End property very quickly. The very day we listed the property, they announced the location. Got a full price offer within two days. Thanks Dynamo!

Edited by EMME

Those types of petitions have nothing to do with vacant lots or other streets, they're geared to a residence requesting the space in front of their house be residential parking only.

Yes, as long as we aren't talking about someone other than a homeowner parking on a driveway or anyone parking in front of a driveway, then I think we're talking about the same thing.

And my position is that the resident has no right to or any expectation of the exclusive use of the space along a curb that is immediately in front of their home and that is not blocking a driveway. Placing such an area off limits reduces the total on-street parking capacity, which is critical for the development of small businesses in urban areas, where off-street parking is very limited.

Do you consider this a matter of public safety, and if so then why? Do you consider it an infringement upon a previous agreement with the City or some other government entity, and if so then why? Is there any other compelling reason that it is in the public interest that the City should grant you the exclusive use of this curb space, which they own and control, if they are not otherwise obligated by prior agreement?

Yes, as long as we aren't talking about someone other than a homeowner parking on a driveway or anyone parking in front of a driveway, then I think we're talking about the same thing.

And my position is that the resident has no right to or any expectation of the exclusive use of the space along a curb that is immediately in front of their home and that is not blocking a driveway. Placing such an area off limits reduces the total on-street parking capacity, which is critical for the development of small businesses in urban areas, where off-street parking is very limited.

The townhomes and apartment buildings already have off-street parking. The townhomes come with garages. How could there be any possible justification for street parking restrictions? I thought the idea behind street parking permits was for places like the French Quarter, for example, or similar neighborhoods where many residences have no parking on premises at all due to the age and nature of the buildings.

Are there any neighborhoods in Houston which require a permit for street parking?

Edited by crunchtastic

I think it's interesting that the field will be set 13 feet below ground (street level).

At MMP it's at least that, probably 20 ft. Makes for easier in/out, not everyone has to go up.

Edited by 20thStDad

At MMP it's at least that, probably 20 ft. Makes for easier in/out, not everyone has to go up.

Toyota Center also. The court is below street level. I wanna say the Astrodome field is below street level as well. Anyone remember?

Edited by ProHouston

Toyota Center also. The court is below street level. I wanna say the Astrodome field is below street level as well. Anyone remember?

Yes, Toyota Ctr and the Astrodome are both below grade, but they have roofs. This thing will be like a fish bowl if we get rains like we had recently.

Do you consider this a matter of public safety, and if so then why? Do you consider it an infringement upon a previous agreement with the City or some other government entity, and if so then why? Is there any other compelling reason that it is in the public interest that the City should grant you the exclusive use of this curb space, which they own and control, if they are not otherwise obligated by prior agreement?

A resident can request the space in front of their home to be deemed no parking. If they get it, then they too can not park there. However, if the police patrols in the area are familiar with the resident, they will oftentimes overlook it when the resident parks in front of their home if it is no parking. When I lived behind Empire Cafe off of Westheimer, the area in front of our house was deemed No Parking by the former homeowner. When my then husband was ticketed for parking there, the officer told me that had he known it was the resident, he would not have ticketed him.

Those types of petitions have nothing to do with vacant lots or other streets, they're geared to a residence requesting the space in front of their house be residential parking only.

gotta agree with niche here... unless your residence has no private garage, parking garage, or private lot, i don't see where you get off petitioning the city to limit street-side parking in a very urban neighborhood to residences only.

A resident can request the space in front of their home to be deemed no parking. If they get it, then they too can not park there. However, if the police patrols in the area are familiar with the resident, they will oftentimes overlook it when the resident parks in front of their home if it is no parking. When I lived behind Empire Cafe off of Westheimer, the area in front of our house was deemed No Parking by the former homeowner. When my then husband was ticketed for parking there, the officer told me that had he known it was the resident, he would not have ticketed him.

Albeit true that such measures can be brought to bear, I dispute the necessity or justice of such actions for reasons previously stated.

I just thought of this, why don't they build it in the Uptown/Galleria area. Downtown already has enough stadiums, why not add another attraction to Uptown? I think that it would be great!

Land is too expensive there. Not the right setting at all for it either. Not sporty, much less 3rd class sporty.

I believe Toyota Center is quite a bit below ground level. I think reasons may be cost savings and traffic flow. Half the visitors head down, half up.

The design is OK, but nothing to write home about.

gotta agree with niche here... unless your residence has no private garage, parking garage, or private lot, i don't see where you get off petitioning the city to limit street-side parking in a very urban neighborhood to residences only.

I've seen quite a few places throughout the city here that are permit parking only. It's just a way for residents to work with the city to manage parking issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they go in and put meters throughout the area cause they'll want their portion of the $$ too.

And there's really not enough room for visitor parking in a townhome complex alley and then still provide enough room for people to back out. That's just being considerate to the neighbors in the complex.

I've seen quite a few places throughout the city here that are permit parking only. It's just a way for residents to work with the city to manage parking issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they go in and put meters throughout the area cause they'll want their portion of the $$ too.

And there's really not enough room for visitor parking in a townhome complex alley and then still provide enough room for people to back out. That's just being considerate to the neighbors in the complex.

If they're blocking access to your townhome, that's already illegal. I would agree that the City is going to need to more clearly demarcate where the public can and cannot park in the East Downtown area because that's an issue that affects public safety and the enforceability of the law.

If they make the curb space in front of your residence a permit-only space, then what would they charge for a permit?

Meters seem unlikely because Dynamo events are so few and far in between that the change collected from them (which even then stops flowing on weekends or after 6:00PM) wouldn't be enough to pay for them. They only make sense downtown because there is a huge and regular daytime demand generator...even then, the purpose is more to ration curb parking more effectively and to encourage on-street parking by people who are just running a quick errand as opposed to people that work there.

Yes, Toyota Ctr and the Astrodome are both below grade, but they have roofs. This thing will be like a fish bowl if we get rains like we had recently.

The field at Robertson is also several feet below grade and does not have a roof. The Dynamo played there on Sunday recently after the torrential rains on Friday and Saturday with no problems. A below grade field without a roof is not going to be a problem.

The field at Robertson is also several feet below grade and does not have a roof. The Dynamo played there on Sunday recently after the torrential rains on Friday and Saturday with no problems. A below grade field without a roof is not going to be a problem.

That's because UH removed the old track from Robertson Stadium, lowered the field about 20 feet, added 3,000 chairback seats along the sidelines, built new concourses, endzone grandstands seating about 6,000 combined, 4 concession/restroom buildings, and added the appropriate drainage for the new grass field in a multi-million dollar expansion project about 10 years ago. But shhhhh, don't tell the Dynamo...

That's because UH removed the old track from Robertson Stadium, lowered the field about 20 feet, added 3,000 chairback seats along the sidelines, built new concourses, endzone grandstands seating about 6,000 combined, 4 concession/restroom buildings, and added the appropriate drainage for the new grass field in a multi-million dollar expansion project about 10 years ago. But shhhhh, don't tell the Dynamo...

:rolleyes: Trust me, the Dynamo already knows all about the renovations of ten years ago. They apparently have also been noticing the same sort of things that caused the recently-retired AD of UH to tell the university that "A total renovation of Robertson Stadium [is] the linchpin of improving the facilities on campus." (This was reported in the Chronicle less than 2 weeks ago.)

They may also have noticed that, to quote a member of this forum, "It would be cheaper for UH to tear down and build new than to renovate the current Roberston Stadium because of issues with the ADA. That is why the most recent expansion build structures that were not connected to the old structure (both new endzones as well as the new concession stands are free standing)." (If this is true, it means the older structure has not been renovated, even as recently as ten years ago.)

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen quite a few places throughout the city here that are permit parking only. It's just a way for residents to work with the city to manage parking issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they go in and put meters throughout the area cause they'll want their portion of the $ too.

If they put a parking meter in front of my house, I'd go cool hand luke on it.

Continental Airlines should aggressively pursue the naming rights to the Dynamo Stadium. The airline had been named the official airline of the Dynamo: http://ro-a.redorbit.com/news/business/128...namo/index.html, so there's no conflict of interest regarding another airline. - Continental could, at some point, get more revenue by getting the naming rights. It makes sense since CO is based out of Downtown - also CO flies to many Latin American countries and could advertise its brand to the futbolistas from Texas to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina.

BTW the Izod Center in East Rutherford, NJ used to be the Continental Arena. Maybe CO could recycle that name for the Dynamo stadium.

Edited by VicMan

Well, Swamplot is running an article, just today, regarding changes to street and rail configurations, because of the stadium. The Bastrop station appears to be right in front of the (proposed) stadium.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week's HBJ has an article saying that "only minor hurdles remain before construction could begin this fall" on the new Dynamo Stadium.

Also, "Two other key parts of the stadium completion puzzle have fallen into place, including the hiring of New York firm Populous as project designer. Populous created the design for the two palatial baseball stadiums that opened this year in New York, including the new Yankee Stadium, as well as Citi Field, home to the New York Mets.

The Dynamo stadium will include an upper and lower bowl structure, with a club seating area and 32 or 34 suites.

Also, "Two other key parts of the stadium completion puzzle have fallen into place, including the hiring of New York firm Populous as project designer. Populous created the design for the two palatial baseball stadiums that opened this year in New York, including the new Yankee Stadium, as well as Citi Field, home to the New York Mets.

imo, this is good news!